Should eng. be a manditory subject? (1 Viewer)

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
i hate how you need to do advanced to do extension.
i love extension, yet absolutely despise advanced.
wish extension was a completely different course to advanced, like how advanced is to standard.
so it would be a 3 units course as opposed to 2 units advanced +1 unit extension.
anyone with me???

passion89

HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
i hate how you need to do advanced to do extension.
i love extension, yet absolutely despise advanced.
wish extension was a completely different course to advanced, like how advanced is to standard.
so it would be a 3 units course as opposed to 2 units advanced +1 unit extension.
anyone with me???
That wouldn't be a bad idea. The advanced course does sometimes annoy me but all in all I don't mind it that much.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
The English i have done in school has made me aware of many things. Context, truth, critical analysis... I mean, nowadays i don't watch much of ACA and Today Tonight, though i've always viewed Naomi Robson as a bloody ho.

That said, I'm passionately opposed with what the English syllabus is teaching and how it is taught. Here are just a few examples:

• We are told to write feature articles that no real journo would write.
  • There is much too much focus on the "how" (techniques...)
  • Some of the subject matter seems utterly meaningless and ridiculous. Ask almost anyone who does the "In The Wild" module and they'll tell you so. I mean, WTF do the texts BNW and BR have to do with "nature and natural rythems?"
  • The AOS module too, "Journeys", seems utterly ridiculous. Lots of techniques, lots of BS... where is the meaning?
  • The way in which English is being taught is turning a lot of people away from classical and otherwise enjoyable texts. Even Skrzynecki would've been enjoyable by itself, but now at every mention of his name I curse it and the "concept of journey".

I'm only doing Advanced, so i wouldn't have any deep criticisms about the higher levels. However, I've had the liberty to read the major work of a friend who does 4u Eng. I was greatly saddened to see how diminshed the quality of her concept became because her teachers, acting on the syllabus, were forcing her to incorporate "post-modernism" into it.

That'd be another criticism: To much emphasis on all this po-mo-fo bullshit.

The point: there are too many faults in the syllabus to justify it's good points.

-P_D

alexh333

HSC
Intreseting discussion, but i have a few comments to make.
1) For LottoX & B35TY; U guys truely suck! does it make u feel big going around the website and pointing out typos, or is it a way of dealing with pre-HSC nerves?

2) And LottoX, u should read the post a bit better if ur going to point out mistakes. yeah i have a few typos, but at least i can READ. I did NOT say that 4u students are pompous (in fact many of my friends are 4u students), im ACTUALLY saying that the stuff the teacher taught you may be pompous.

3) glitterfairy; u argued that for uni level english that you do not need to forget about HSC english. Well, let me quote you: "Anyone that takes English or Creative Writing studies up at uni will soon learn that they want you to completely forget the style of analysis you learnt in high school and learn a new one" It speaks for itself.
PS. y is a student that did their HSC 2 yrs ago(!!!) still on this website? are u really that bored? or do u just find yourself at peace with people who have a lower education then u?

fuckskooloff

HSC
hell NO, unless you cant speak english :p we are in an "english" speaking country, but if we all be extremely good at english wont we turn out like the bloody poms and be all proper. I say we should do bogan english!!! if anything.

Im half serious about the last statment, but this one... why the hell is there a compulsary course when its non-comulsary to do y11 and 12???

case88

HSC
without getting involved in the discussion, i just want to point out that she [glitterfairy] and other moderators are here to help. she frequently offers help and great insight into many areas of the HSC course (esp. 4 unit english)

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Though critically interpreting and analysing writing and information is necessary, I would argue that is it discouraged by the HSC English Advanced course, at least. If one were given Huxley’s “Brave New World” and told to ‘analyse it and formulate ideas as to what themes and messages it explores’ I would be happy. However, cramming this truly extensive novel into an “In The Wild” module not only distorts what messages it contains but really turns people off the text. If one were to look at what Huxley actually said about “Brave New World” they’d see that it wasn’t completely satirical and he was, to an extent, unhappy with the way he finished it and the tone the end of the novel left.

By hijacking complex literary works, dumming them down and then using them to push their own agenda in sometimes politically motivated modules, the BOS not only turns students off English who often have insightful views but aren’t geared towards the module. I think the HSC English course should be more geared to the VCE English, where each text in often analysed separately, not under the umbrella of an out-there topic. This massive emphasis on the *HOW* not only takes away from the overall themes of the text but often marginalises context (though this is explored marginally in some levels of English) and the personal feelings of the composer.

I manage to get good marks in English, but that’s hardly from a love of it. If the BOS is worried that we won’t be prepared for the real world, then gear English much more towards practical uses and applications, with those who are much more interested in literature and writing offered a different or extension course. I’ve never come across anyone who’s been offered Comparative Literature but I think that looks like a much more balanced approach to studying higher-level English. The majority of students I know doing English Advanced do it so their UAI won’t be decimated by doing standard. Yet, it’s hardly going to be needed in their advanced maths or aviation degrees, which require high UAIs to get into.

student.hsc

HSC
Ok, here's my 2 cents:

I'm a 4u Student, and I think one problem pointed out earlier is that when you do ext. 1, especially value analysis and genre theory type things it tends to invalidate a lot of what you do in eng. advanced and makes you feel like what your saying is complete crap unless you have considered values, genre etc. in which case you cant write about it or use it to justify yourself.

I think that perhaps english should be compulsary because people need to fundamentally be able to understand things- not necessarily analyse stuff- but things like looking at techniques is film and so seeing the real agenda of the composer. Without general understanding of english literature will basically become reduced to personal entertainment/interpriatation and it will be difficult for a composer to effectivley get his message across and impede society in general as a result.

Zorbini

HSC
Trebla said:
I reckon English shouldn't be a mandatory subject. Not this type of English at least. If the curriculum was revised with more focus on language and communication skills which are useful rather than literature concepts, then perhaps I would support it being mandatory.
English shouldn't be mandatory. I don't need to learn why there is a long shot of the house and it's effect, nor the reason why the poet has used irony. If they are going to teach that, then they should make a class for it instead of wasting my time.

They should be teaching Grammar and Spelling in English. I know heaps of students, who can't spell simple words or use correct grammar in conversation. It's even more important now, when we are growing up with SMS's, so we don't end up with gr8's and lol's throughout our essays.

student.hsc said:
I think that perhaps english should be compulsary because people need to fundamentally be able to understand things- not necessarily analyse stuff- but things like looking at techniques is film and so seeing the real agenda of the composer.
Sure it's good to see the techniques used in a movie, but I go to the movies to enjoy myself, not see how the composer incorporates techniques to make me enjoy the movie.

student.hsc said:
Without general understanding of english literature will basically become reduced to personal entertainment/interpriatation and it will be difficult for a composer to effectivley get his message across and impede society in general as a result.
When I read a book, I still get the message without looking at how effective the techniques are. And aren't we using our creativity when we interpret a book for ourself?:confused:

miche11e

HSC
^
lol where did you dig this out of??

I dont think that english should be compulsory the same way maths isnt. Maths is way more useful than english anyway. We use it more in every day life.

also, i think that the examination style is unrealistic. When are we ever going to write 3 memorised essays in only 2 hours in the world outside of school? Infact, when are we ever going to have to compare 2 texts and write about their "concepts" unless were doing fiilm reviews or book reviews or whatever?

For someone like me who knew they were going to do engineering since year 8, Yr 11 and 12 english is a waste of units and a waste of time. Make it compulsory till year 10 if you have to - thats when i stopped listening anyway, and thats when your irrelevent subjects for your future drop out (eg history and geography)

If theres anyone who doesnt get what im saying, imagine you know that you've wanted to do journalism since you started highschool, and maths or science was compulsory and had to count for your UAI. It would suck, right? Well it does, but for everyone else besides the few that will actually need the "skills" we learn in yr 11 and 12 english.

theres my non agro rant... if you want my agro rant, catch me after an english lesson lol :D

HSC
Yes. Threadstarter clearly needs to do English, as this is yet another thread complaining about the subject while spelling semi-difficult words incorrectly in the title.

HSC
miche11e said:
lol its a forum - who cares if you spell stuff right? :D
um, except from the fact that it destroys all your credibility when you're arguing that English isn't necessary, no one :rolleyes:

osamabanana

HSC
nooo english should not be a mandatory subject, basically it punishes people who aren't naturally good at english. In my career as an engineer I am never going to need english skills learn't in year 11 or 12. the ability to write and express yourself is learn't long before year 11. Everyone who leaves after year 10 seems to manage without learning how blade runner represents concepts of in the wild so why is it so necessary for us to learn it to undertake study that has nothing to do with english?

osamabanana

HSC
nooo english should not be a mandatory subject, basically it punishes people who aren't naturally good at english. In my career as an engineer I am never going to need english skills learn't in year 11 or 12. the ability to write and express yourself is learn't long before year 11. Everyone who leaves after year 10 seems to manage without learning how blade runner represents concepts of in the wild so why is it so necessary for us to learn it to undertake study that has nothing to do with english? the time for compulsorary learning is the junior school where most of the people that age attend. Senior school should be learning to prepare us for terrtiary study or whatever we wish to do after.

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
I think english should be mandatory as a subject since we do live in Australia, and english is the main language. However, I do not think that both the units for english should be counted with your 10 if they were your worst 2 units - like any other subject (this is if you do more than 10 units). But I still think people should do english because what you learn from it (well in most cases anyway) can be applied to life.

Well, thats my 10 cents in this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)