Votes: 79 53.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
kami said:
My main disagreements with this point are:
1. Not everyone who does the HSC is seeking a UAI, and even of those that do seek a UAI many end up at TAFE or another sector, rendering the UAI moot and the idea of UAI induced incentive meaningless.
2. If they did want a UAI - a decent one at that, they would have to try in English or take up extra units. Not everyone can handle 12 or more units, and there is still the chance it could count if you bombed out in another 2 unit subject so incentive would likely still exist for a large amount of people.
3. You could likely say the same for those schools that require their students to do maths or religious subjects but there is likely still incentive to do well in something that may impact your future for these people.
4. The majority of university preparation programs do have a core english component which requires a certain standard of performance, but this subject does not influence the university entry score these students recieve and they don't seem to have large problems because of this factor.

As for your point about the English courses being too technical, I agree though I think this applies to the majority of the non extension HSC courses - too many rules, too little innovation.
Good points and I agree with you on all of them. My point was probably too narrow-minded in that instance. Nevertheless, there are many students who enjoy maths and science - they will likely do Maths Ext 2, Chemistry, Physics and possibly Biology or some other interest subject. Needless to say, a lot of these students are hopeless at English and couldn't string two words together if it saved them from death.

Most, if not all, uni courses and professions require at least some proficiency at English and there is almost no job or uni course that does not require a student to express themselves in an aticulate and succinct manner. Were English either not compulsory or not strictly included in one's UAI, then many students would exploit the system and simply do 10 units of maths and science whilst either not completing or just bludging through English - this will inevitably do them a disservice in uni. Mind you, there will be some students who do work hard in English because of a personal desire to do so. However, I think the temptation to do the former would overcome many students.

tennille

HSC
I think English should be compulsory, but it shouldn't have to go towards your UAI. As many people have already mentioned, not everyone is good at English, and their UAI has to suffer because of that.

Libbster

HSC
I think it shouldn't be compulsory.

I mean, someone tell me, if you don't want to do english at uni, do we really need to know why Shakespeare used iambic pentameter and why Ros and Guil are DEad is not a 'parasitic text' but instead offers a new perspective on Hamlet ?! Why should someone who struggles at English and thus, bullshitting be disadvantaged? Are the majority of people at school going to use this in everyday life? No.

Maybe if they revised the course, actually made it more about English and less of this cultural studies bullshit then I believe it should be compulsory. If the course was more about grammar etc, then this would help a person in constructing sentences, writing essays, letters etc, stuff you use everyday.

*rant over*

JamieMS

HSC
i find it funny that most people are saying it should be compulsory but more people have voted no than yes in the poll.

Personally even though i suck at maths, i would rather General Maths being compulsory.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I want to put forward a question, how many people that vote "No", do so because they dislike or are struggling with english?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well it's just that the question you put forward is essentially, is it in the youth of this state's best interests that the Senior Secondary system make people study their own language? And saying that isnt in your or anyone's best interest because its hard or you arent doing well is a bit of a non argument. It basically means that you would like the state to abolish English's compulsory status because you don't like it.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Yes, English should definitely be compulsory. You go to school to become 'educated', so a sufficient amount of training in literature is needed.
The subject definitely improves one's articulacy, and valuable skills such as the ability to write coherently and analysing written language will remain with you forever and assist in whatever career you pursue. (You may argue that future plumbers or whatever don't need to study Shakespeare, but the skills they gain during the process will be useful. And as I am optimistic about humanity, I'd like to think that literature enriches everyone's lives)
It's just the same with maths: most of us won't need calculus after we leave school, but we will benefit from the logical thinking skills developed from doing maths.

However I think the Area of Study crap should be wiped out from the English syllabus.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
kami said:
I want to put forward a question, how many people that vote "No", do so because they dislike or are struggling with english?
I voted no because while I'm doing fairly well at english, our entire society is built around fundamental mathematics.

In real life, you're much more likely to know how to find percentages or calculate intrest, etc, than "Hey, Look at that poster. I wonder what the composers intent with relation to the concept "journeys" was?". Or write an essay.

I also feel that if we maths/science brained people should have to do english, the english brained people should have to do maths. It's only fair!!

Actually, I don't think any subject should be compulsory for the HSC. If we've done the SC we should have enough basic english/mathematics knowledge to get ourselves through life.

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
aim54x said:
If english isn't compulsory no one will study it and then we will become inundated with illiterate bums who struggle to piece together sentences longer than a word.
we do it from K to YR 10 I don't think it would really matter

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
aim54x said:
If english isn't compulsory no one will study it and then we will become inundated with illiterate bums who struggle to piece together sentences longer than a word.
People study maths and it isn't compulsory.
And after year 10 you don't really learn anything that can be applied to real life in english anyway. They assume you know how to read, write and speak by year 11....

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
ppl who can't do these basics in yr11 do exist, math is a pereq almost all science/eng/comm degrees so ppl do it.

so many ppl would drop english if it is not compulsory it would be one of those courses that have little exposure and will lead to massive problems when ppl go to uni, provided that u get in.

?wha?

HSC
yep, as much as i hate to admit it, english does need to be compulsory, otherwise ppl from non-english speaking backgrounds WILL rort the system by simpy not doing english, taking anything else, getting damn high UAIs because of Maths and other whatnot and taking all the uni spots from those ppl who DO english

HSC
To be elegible for a UAI then English (ESL / Standard / Advanced) should be compulsary. But for people not wanting a UAI, you should be able to get an HSC without having to do English.

I think English is to focused on things we don't need, and it should be changed.

There should be a COMMON English course that people take which focuses on things we need (e.g. writing essays etc) in relation to our other courses. Why do we have to go over and over crap like poems?

Poetry, Film etc should all be EXTENTION courses (worth one unit each).

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
i hate english.. the end.

wth.. 42 v 42. totally even.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)