Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I think English is a useful tool when it comes to trying to getting your message across. Being good at English helps you with that. Of course, people can still get their messages across with ordinary vocabulary with decent use of grammar. But there are areas in English that need to be attended with higher degree of sophistication and complexity in terms of vocab, language and techniques. Why not use 10 words than 100 words to describe something?

I think English also helps you to appreciate the art of language that people do not seem to recognise in our everyday lives and it also ensures that you are not backwards when it comes to learning about it. It may be a trivial matter but for some people, it's a matter of life and death.

In conclusion, I would just like to say that it's highly debateable whether English should become compulsory or not. But English is important and mastering it to the extent where you can write, talk and express in an advanced and efficient manner is essential. It's all about not trying to be backwards when it comes to ordinary things like expressing yourself in public, writing a letter and etc.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I think English also helps you to appreciate the art of language that people do not seem to recognise in our everyday lives and it also ensures that you are not backwards when it comes to learning about it. It may be a trivial matter but for some people, it's a matter of life and death.
QFT
English = Language = Represents who we are, where we are, what is around us

Language to humanity is the definitive essence of our relationship with our universe.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
QFT
English = Language = Represents who we are, where we are, what is around us

Language to humanity is the definitive essence of our relationship with our universe.
Sweet! :D

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Hmm. My opinion is that, as mentioned above (quite a few times actually) by much esteemed personalities such as lyounamu, English SHOULD be compulsary, but that it shouldn't have to be counted in our UAI.

We live in an English speaking country, and hence as the argument goes we should study English. And i agree wholeheartedly with that. I don't mind studying English (even though I pretty much suck at it :( ), but why should it count in the UAI? (rhetorical question. I don't want to start another racial debate here)

So for many reasons which I can't be bothered typing up, english should be compulsary to study, but not as a compulsary subject in the UAI calculations.

ccc123

HSC
bmn said:
I dispise english completely, always have always will, and it should not be complusory! I would be aiming for 100UAI if it was not compulsory. But is is so I don't care anymore. Whatever mark I get in english (even if it is a 0) i will still be happy -> BECAUSE THE CORSE IS STUFFED UP. Also all the english skills you need for the other corses are taught in years 7-10.I agree with foram. Also, as for critical thinking: do MH or maths, you'll think differently. The only thinking you need to do in english is how to answer the question with as much bs and fancy language as you can. The rest is regurgitation. And I'll still fail lol. If I accually get a good mark in english, I will accuse it of life hacks.
Also something should be said about english teachers. They are in a class of their own. They make the boring even more boring and the remotely good pain and suffering. I wonder how they enet over to the dark side, way too much WoW perhaps?
Clearly years 7-10 was not sufficient to teach you how to spell.

ccc123

HSC
Devouree said:
Hmm. My opinion is that, as mentioned above (quite a few times actually) by much esteemed personalities such as lyounamu, English SHOULD be compulsary, but that it shouldn't have to be counted in our UAI.

We live in an English speaking country, and hence as the argument goes we should study English. And i agree wholeheartedly with that. I don't mind studying English (even though I pretty much suck at it :( ), but why should it count in the UAI? (rhetorical question. I don't want to start another racial debate here)

So for many reasons which I can't be bothered typing up, english should be compulsary to study, but not as a compulsary subject in the UAI calculations.
The problem with doing that is it eliminates incentive to try at all.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
ccc123 said:
The problem with doing that is it eliminates incentive to try at all.
Good point! (i mean, I don't try anyway, cause I'm hopeless.) By removing the incentive of compulsary English I'm sure many people will just do the standard course just to get it over with. At the same time they'll probably pick up another 2 units which will fill in where English would have been. This means a greater workload, but these students wouldn't try hard in English anyway, so there might not be an actual increase in work.

In this way, there would be a general increase in ill-feeling between the English faculty and the students (doing other subject HW in class, lol), but that's what teachers are for. They're supposed to interest you in the topic, fill you with knowledge and generally teach you...

So whilst it could create problems for teachers and people who actually like english, making it a non-compulsary in the UAI calculations wouldn't really affect that many people adversely.

NB: if you actually read all that BS, congrats! :karate:

HSC
the name i want said:
I like english, it should be compulsory but would be cool if it could be changed instead of studying texts it should be like the SATS all about punctuation ect then ext 1 and 2 ect should be studies of texts.
couldnt agree more. instead of allowing people that have little to no command over the english language from studying points and getting away with their pitiful grammar and spelling. and fundamental english should be looked at in more things.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
As much as I dislike the current English course, I still believe it would be irresponsible to abolish it completely. As previous posters have said, it should be more about the grammar etc (with less focus on how many quotes a student can recall).

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Oh great non-sequitur poster.

And i cannot believe how many people misspell 'compulsory' in this thread. Including OP.

As far as english in the hsc context goes, the current state of the course is very adequate.

edit: The fact that the debate is still continuing in this thread, and those against the compulsory status of english have not been able to formulate a legitimate reason using cogent structure reflects the necessity of such skills.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i em sik ov readin bad speling newhere, intrnt, sms, email

YOU KIDS NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET.

Nayyy

HSC
I'ok with english personally, i think it should be compulsory but i think that they need to revise the texts used and use some more modern ones and ones people will actually like, as well as stop making out like its the most important subject, its not, ahaha. oh and no speeches or vis reps, especially not vis reps. POINTLESS.

irnirn

HSC
that's such a stupid q.
Of course it should be compulsory. You go to any country, studying that country's language is compulsory. If we leave it optional then All the Asians and other migrants won't be able to say even "Hello". This will result in a transformation and reformation of Australian culture and language.

ps. It seems like there are quite a number of asians in this forum as they have all voted NO.:D

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
irnirn said:
that's such a stupid q.
Of course it should be compulsory. You go to any country, studying that country's language is compulsory. If we leave it optional then All the Asians and other migrants won't be able to say even "Hello". This will result in a transformation and reformation of Australian culture and language.

ps. It seems like there are quite a number of asians in this forum as they have all voted NO.:D
That's a generalisation.
This thread is based more on people's opinions.
Why does grandma have to learn fluent English when all she wants to do is pay us a visit for a month?
English should be part of the school cirriculum but we should remain multicultural.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
irnirn said:
that's such a stupid q.

Your use of English has improved a lot in the past 5 years, well done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)