Should I bother moving schools? (1 Viewer)

Mikrodd

HSC
Okay, so I am currently in year 10 right now at a school ranked in the mid 200's. Not going to lie, my year cohort is not performing very well academically. For instance, there is only one 5.3/advanced maths class out of the 7 maths classes in my grade (I am in that one maths class). In all of my classes, I am ranked within the top 3, usually coming first, and many of my friends and teachers say I will probably get dux of the school at the end of year 12.

I have been given the opportunity to get into a selective school at the beginning of year 11 which is ranked in the 60's/ high 50's (for reference, this selective school has about 6 maths classes and 5 of them are 5.3/advanced classes, quite literally the opposite of my current school). My question is, should I bother moving to the selective school? Ignoring all other factors like location, teachers, etc, would my hsc success and ATAR be affected by the school I currently go to since it isn't performing well? Or would it not matter since I am already one of the top students?

I'm not sure if I want to put more pressure on myself by moving to a selective school, although it could be beneficial being surrounded by like-minded students.

Anyways, if anyone can at least give me some guidance I will be grateful. :spin:

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Okay, so I am currently in year 10 right now at a school ranked in the mid 200's. Not going to lie, my year cohort is not performing very well academically. For instance, there is only one 5.3/advanced maths class out of the 7 maths classes in my grade (I am in that one maths class). In all of my classes, I am ranked within the top 3, usually coming first, and many of my friends and teachers say I will probably get dux of the school at the end of year 12.

I have been given the opportunity to get into a selective school at the beginning of year 11 which is ranked in the 60's/ high 50's (for reference, this selective school has about 6 maths classes and 5 of them are 5.3/advanced classes, quite literally the opposite of my current school). My question is, should I bother moving to the selective school? Ignoring all other factors like location, teachers, etc, would my hsc success and ATAR be affected by the school I currently go to since it isn't performing well? Or would it not matter since I am already one of the top students?

I'm not sure if I want to put more pressure on myself by moving to a selective school, although it could be beneficial being surrounded by like-minded students.

Anyways, if anyone can at least give me some guidance I will be grateful. :spin:
i was in a similar situation except i didn't want to move schools in the first place because imagine moving schools in y11 ur gonna lose all ur best friends and ur gonna be a loner if u struggle to make friends like @kkk579 just an example no offence
it could also be because my school is better than urs from what ur saying so i didn't feel the need to do so; but its mainly just the big change i wouldn't want to go through that (unless u hate ur school like @kkk579 did then move its like a restart for ur final two memorable years if u end up liking it and make friends (unlike @kkk579))

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
i was in a similar situation except i didn't want to move schools in the first place because imagine moving schools in y11 ur gonna lose all ur best friends and ur gonna be a loner if u struggle to make friends like @kkk579 just an example no offence
it could also be because my school is better than urs from what ur saying so i didn't feel the need to do so; but its mainly just the big change i wouldn't want to go through that (unless u hate ur school like @kkk579 did then move its like a restart for ur final two memorable years if u end up liking it and make friends (unlike @kkk579))
💀 Shots have been fired

Mikrodd

HSC
Okay well imma be completely honest right now, I don't have many friends at my school, and I kinda feel like I need a new start to make new friends, ya know? So maybe moving might be a good idea... but it would be hard to connect with the teachers for the first few weeks/months and learning where all the classrooms are and stuff, idk, seems like too much.

Mikrodd

HSC
Sounds like I am in the same situation as the guy you mentioned 💀

...xD

HSC
Okay well imma be completely honest right now, I don't have many friends at my school, and I kinda feel like I need a new start to make new friends, ya know? So maybe moving might be a good idea... but it would be hard to connect with the teachers for the first few weeks/months and learning where all the classrooms are and stuff, idk, seems like too much.
I would take the offer. I used to go to a... hm... concerning school and people would frown at you for studying or going to tutoring because you care about your future. But that all changed when I transferred to a better school, suddenly I went from the top of my grade to below average... and yeah...That's what pushes you forward! Its interesting too how grades seemingly directly correlate to how open a person's mindset is... everybody was so exclusive and had a very illogically strong opinion on seemingly everything... I'm a strange person with an unique asian mum so I didn't cope well in that school

Mikrodd

HSC
I would take the offer. I used to go to a... hm... concerning school and people would frown at you for studying or going to tutoring because you care about your future. But that all changed when I transferred to a better school, suddenly I went from the top of my grade to below average... and yeah...That's what pushes you forward! Its interesting too how grades seemingly directly correlate to how open a person's mindset is... everybody was so exclusive and had a very illogically strong opinion on seemingly everything... I'm a strange person with an unique asian mum so I didn't cope well in that school
Thank you for replying! And you're so right... I always get weird looks when I study and take notes in class, which makes me feel like I am doing something wrong?? Yet my classmates complain when they get bad grades.. hm, I wonder why?

Anyways I will probably end up moving, it will most likely be beneficial to my future goals n' stuff.

Vall

HSC
I don't think you should stress about finding new friends at the new school. I'm pretty sure all of the new students in yr11 made friends at my school by the end of term 1 at latest

asduiashdi

HSC
i was in a similar position to you last year and moved to a selective school and its a pretty good change. it feels good to start afresh and make new friends, though if you have close friends at your old school it'll be really difficult to stay close (i tried) but i guess you'll find out whether they truly care about you. making friends was a bit easier at a selective school for me because we all care about the same sort of stuff. its definitely a smart change for your future and stuff, it should give you more options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)