Should I change Chem? (1 Viewer)

WisdomBunny

HSC
Hi all!

So this is my fourth day of year 11 and I've been a bit confused about whether or not I should change chemistry. These are my subjects:

English ext 1
General maths
Dance
Biology
Chemistry
Ancient History

I like most of my subjects but I didn't really like chem. I absolutely hated the content and I kept on zoning out because I was bored. The only reason I picked it is because it helps with Psychology (which I want to do in the future) and also I had the chem teacher last year and she was really good. I was considering changing it to something else. The only other subjects I can do instead are work studies (non ATAR), biology (which I already have), CAFS (interesting but scales really badly), Studies of Religion (which is full) and senior science (can't do because of biology).

So what do you guys think? Should I wait a little bit more to see if I actually hate the subject? Or should I change it to something else?

Shuuya

HSC
If you really hate it, then its going to be really hard to try and concentrate in class and get good grades. That being said, maybe wait a week or so and think about whether or not you're going to be miserable studying it for the next two years (I'm a little biased towards chem because I find it enjoyable). All the best! :)

leehuan

HSC
Note that whilst in PRELIM you can't do bio with senior science, in the HSC you CAN. But senior science has terrible scaling if you care about that stuff.

But I'd say wait, however never change it too early.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I hate my Chem teachers method of teaching it's terrible , but I love chem so I'll never drop it. Its up to you really . In was actually going to drop bio or phys for business and am so happy i didn't because I love physics as well . I am dropping. Bio though to take a languAge . Biology is terrible in my opinion

Last edited:

helloimyellow

HSC
If you don't like prelim Chem then you probably won't like HSC Chem unless you enjoy learning about industrial methods and societal and environmental effects of chemicals. Stick it out for first term or semester, if you don't like it just drop it. Don't do a subject based on scaling, it is a factor but it's likely more important to enjoy your subjects :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)