Should I change math classes (1 Viewer)

grace_26

HSC
I've had a substitute teacher for maths up until week 4, at the end of week 4 we sat a topic test and I failed. We got a new teacher this week and she gave us back the topic test and nearly everyone, including me failed. My teacher said to do better next time to the class and went on with the work without helping us with the test everyone failed. She doesn't even teach the work properly, all she does is copy the text book onto the board and we write it all down, then she just reads it out to us and then she makes us do the exercise. I've had this new teacher for several lessons now and she does this each lesson. Other students in my class feel the same way as I do and are struggling as well.
I really dislike this teaching style, should I change math classes or just get some extra help from a tutor?

I'm really concerned as in previous years at school I've gotten A's and B's in Maths and I'm in year 11 so I need to do well in this subject.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should get a tutor. It seems that the problem is the teaching, not the difficulty of the work.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
I'd say go for a tutor. I know that helped me a great deal last year when I had possibly one of the worst teachers ever for maths. She basically did the same thing as you said your current teacher does.
The tutor really helped me to understand the topics we were learning and such, however I just really really suck at exams so I failed my yearly (but i guess by that time i had completely given up on maths and didn't even do work in class so that's probably a reason as to why i failed) but yeah, the tutor I had explained things so well, i never actually thought it was possible for me to understand math.
Unfortunately my tutor was also a uni student and ended up stopping the tutoring because of his uni commitments towards the end of the year, so since about term 4 last year i haven't done any tutoring and i am a total lostie in maths right now.
Just go for the tutor. It will help you in the long run. There's a possibility teachers from other classes may not teach as well as you think they do.
I'm also in year 11. We had a practice test using a past half yearly paper for mathematics.....i got 30% T_T
What math's do you take?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd say go for a tutor. I know that helped me a great deal last year when I had possibly one of the worst teachers ever for maths. She basically did the same thing as you said your current teacher does.
The tutor really helped me to understand the topics we were learning and such, however I just really really suck at exams so I failed my yearly (but i guess by that time i had completely given up on maths and didn't even do work in class so that's probably a reason as to why i failed) but yeah, the tutor I had explained things so well, i never actually thought it was possible for me to understand math.
Unfortunately my tutor was also a uni student and ended up stopping the tutoring because of his uni commitments towards the end of the year, so since about term 4 last year i haven't done any tutoring and i am a total lostie in maths right now.
Just go for the tutor. It will help you in the long run. There's a possibility teachers from other classes may not teach as well as you think they do.
I'm also in year 11. We had a practice test using a past half yearly paper for mathematics.....i got 30% T_T
What math's do you take?
make a thread in the tutoring area

ask and ye shall receive

grace_26

HSC
I'm doing general but it is not as easy as I thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)