Should i choose standard or advanced math for the hsc? (1 Viewer)

subaru_01

HSC
N/A
Hi, so i'm currently in the highest level of math in my school, which is core 3. However, it's not my strength and my grade had fallen down to a C. Based on my research, most courses requirement is advanced math. I plan to study communication in the future, at uni, is standard math ok for this course? or should I pick advanced?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While Mathematics Advanced is usually preferred over Mathematics Standard given the more sophisticated mathematical knowledge that it equips students with, it is only treated as assumed knowledge (it is not required to have taken a subject that is treated as assumed knowledge, although it is recommended) at most universities, the exception being USyd, which treats it as a prerequisite. Your interest in studying communication seems to align with degrees such as the Bachelor of Communication, the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Media, none of which appear to strictly require that you take Mathematics Advanced. While I am fairly certain that this is the case, it would probably be a good idea to contact the university(ies) that you may be interested in attending in order to confirm whether you must take Mathematics Advanced just to be safe.

Alternatively, you could take Mathematics Advanced in year 11 and see how you go. The good thing about doing this is that you get to experience Mathematics Advanced at no expense in year 11 (that is, none of your year 11 results contribute to your HSC results or ATAR), allowing you to make a more informed decision regarding whether this is the right level of maths for you. If not, you still have the option of dropping to Mathematics Standard as you start year 12.

I hope this helps! 😄

carrotsss

HSC
Take advanced, you can drop to standard if stuff really gets bad, but have an open mind to keeping it. One of my friends was getting Ds and not passing exams in year 10 maths and is now rank 1 overall in advanced, you never know how things will change

subaru_01

HSC
N/A
Wow, thanks for the super detailed advice!!. But does Usyd require advanced math as a prerequisite for all courses? Or just some of them? Once again, thank you very much

subaru_01

HSC
N/A
Thank you, i'll take it into consideration. However, my school is weird and it only allow people who get high Cs to do advanced math so i'll see if i can do it.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Not clear to me what course you are planning to pursue? Communication as in Media or Journalism(wonder if you need any maths) or in Communications Engineering(you'll need very advanced maths)?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, thanks for the super detailed advice!!. But does Usyd require advanced math as a prerequisite for all courses? Or just some of them? Once again, thank you very much
No worries! No, USyd does not require you to take Mathematics Advanced for all of its degrees. Degrees for which Mathematics Advanced is required (with a minimum HSC result in the band 4 range) include:
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Commerce
  • Bachelor of Engineering Honours
I would suggest having a look at this document from USyd, which lists prerequisites and/or assumed knowledge for its degrees (where applicable).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)