Should I confront my teacher about this? (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
Today, I went to see my History Extension teacher to get my project and trial exam marks back. He showed them to me first and congratulated me on my results (42/50 for trial and 28/30 for project). Then, he went over to the computer to record them. He took quite a while and I was waiting and wondering why it was taking him so long. Finally, when I got the papers back again, my previous marks were hastily rubbed out and replaced by 41/50 for the trial and 27/30 for the project. Now, I know they are still decent marks, but it means my combined mark is 44/50, just one short of an E4. Do you think I should inquire (in the most prudent, polite way possible of course) into why my marks were changed last minute? And more importantly, would it make a difference to my HSC mark? I am still ranked first, with the second ranked person 8 marks behind me (10 if my previous results remained).

spatula232

HSC
Today, I went to see my History Extension teacher to get my project and trial exam marks back. He showed them to me first and congratulated me on my results (42/50 for trial and 28/30 for project). Then, he went over to the computer to record them. He took quite a while and I was waiting and wondering why it was taking him so long. Finally, when I got the papers back again, my previous marks were hastily rubbed out and replaced by 41/50 for the trial and 27/30 for the project. Now, I know they are still decent marks, but it means my combined mark is 44/50, just one short of an E4. Do you think I should inquire (in the most prudent, polite way possible of course) into why my marks were changed last minute? And more importantly, would it make a difference to my HSC mark? I am still ranked first, with the second ranked person 8 marks behind me (10 if my previous results remained).
I wouldnt know but if you did say something, is it possible he could change it even more?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
It doesn't matter one bit
Although what matters is you coming first, so if you reckon those 2 marks can make you lose your position then do inquire about it

Lina3

HSC
I wouldnt know but if you did say something, is it possible he could change it even more?
Hmm I don't think he would, considering he is on the whole, a very fair teacher. I doubt the reason for the change in my marks was a personal one.

It doesn't matter one bit
Although what matters is you coming first, so if you reckon those 2 marks can make you lose your position then do inquire about it
It won't loose me my position, but wouldn't the fact that I got an E4 at school boost up my external and overall marks in any way?

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hmm I don't think he would, considering he is on the whole, a very fair teacher. I doubt the reason for the change in my marks was a personal one.

It won't loose me my position, but wouldn't the fact that I got an E4 at school boost up my external and overall marks in any way?
No, it won't.
If it was like that every school would be making their exams easy so every student can get 100% and thus a good ATAR bringing their schools name up.
Your internal marks get moderated i.e they get standardized relative to the state (dependent on your external performance)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
If you are still 1st it will have 0 effect on you externally. Getting an E4 for your school marks doesn't mean jack.

Examine

same
HSC
If you are still 1st it will have 0 effect on you externally. Getting an E4 for your school marks doesn't mean jack.
^

I doubt it would have any impact on you as you are first. (In fact it might help the cohort a bit more when marks are moderated)

Last edited:

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Does not compute.

1/30xweighting + 1/50x weighting= 2/100 overall? Unlikely.

Lina3

HSC
Does not compute.

1/30xweighting + 1/50x weighting= 2/100 overall? Unlikely.
Sorry..I do not understand. The second ranked person has 36/50, so 8 marks behind me. Also we do not have 100 people in our class.
So most of you saying its not worth going? I've been speculating a bit, and maybe he changed the marks to lessen the gap between 1st and 2nd? Would this be beneficial to us as a cohort in any way?

RealiseNothing

HSC
Sorry..I do not understand. The second ranked person has 36/50, so 8 marks behind me. Also we do not have 100 people in our class.
So most of you saying its not worth going? I've been speculating a bit, and maybe he changed the marks to lessen the gap between 1st and 2nd? Would this be beneficial to us as a cohort in any way?
It would be better for 2nd and 3rd, maybe not so much for the people coming last.

Focus is Key

HSC
That's really slack for him to do. I really doubt he'd change it back and it wouldn't really have an effect on your internal marks/ranking. However, it might be beneficial to at least ask why!

D94

HSC
N/A
And more importantly, would it make a difference to my HSC mark?
If that is your final rank and school mark, then no, an extra 2 marks won't make a difference for you, individually. For the cohort, it will make a difference, but the effect is minimal.

Lina3

HSC
That's really slack for him to do. I really doubt he'd change it back and it wouldn't really have an effect on your internal marks/ranking. However, it might be beneficial to at least ask why!
I know :( Like, I am just finding it difficult to decide whether to go or not because it might make me seem petty, being disquieted over two marks if my result is already adequate enough to get me 1st place. I'm curious about though (but relieved to know it will probably have no impact on my externals), maybe I'll subtly drop the question when we go through the project and trial in class or something. :p

If that is your final rank and school mark, then no, an extra 2 marks won't make a difference for you, individually. For the cohort, it will make a difference, but the effect is minimal.
Yes, I considered its effect on the cohort and its one of my theories as to why he changed it. Would exactly the effect be? Would it just boost 2nd and 3rd up like RealiseNothing said?

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
No.

First place is a special case- you are exempted from have marks totalled and moderated with the body of the cohort.

What I was saying is that- gaining 2 marks across 2 assessments won't translate to gaining 2 marks overall- UNLESS your assessment worth /30 was worth 30% of your overall assessment, hence 1 mark in the assessment= 1 mark overall, and similarly your assessment /50 was worth 50% of overall mark.
This seemed unlikely.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, I considered its effect on the cohort and its one of my theories as to why he changed it. Would exactly the effect be? Would it just boost 2nd and 3rd up like RealiseNothing said?
There is no way of telling. It will depend how packed or spread out the rest of your cohort is and how well your cohort does in the HSC exam. As I said, the effect will be minimal; an increase of less than 1 mark for maybe the top quartile, unless your cohort performs very badly and the range of marks is considerable.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I reckon you should bother at least asking why your mark was crossed out but don't chase it too much.

Also ask your teacher in private, seeing as you are first by a relatively large margin.

RealiseNothing

HSC
If you want an example, I accelerated maths last year. I came 1st and pulled up 2nd by 5 marks because I did really well and the gap between us was small.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)