Should i continue? (1 Viewer)

Morellio

HSC
I already have my HSC, except last year i wasn't bothered to do anything at all and ended up with an atar with 38.75..
My idea in the first place was to do Diploma in Children services, but for some reason, i ended up doing my HSC again at tafe to attempt to get a better mark
My current mark for each subject is

Standard English 80% and i'm ranked 1/24 in the tafe ( I'ts just overal tafe ranking right?? New to doing all this :/ )
General maths 85% ranked 1/21
Studies of religion 82% 1/7
Ancient History 75% 2/8
Business studies 70% 2/14

This is everything for the assessment mark not including the trials

I'm aiming to do a course in uni for teaching which requires of around 70 atar from looking at it last year, and.. i'm scared i might get lazy or screw up again and end up doing crap overall, so what i've been considering is dropping out and doing the diploma i wanted to do in the first place and go to Uni with that..
What are you guys opinions? Accepting all criticism.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can definitely get 70 with that, wow. I'm impressed.

Morellio

HSC
Thanks! But does the class average mark matter at all in tafe like it did in highschool towards your atar? Because the average mark in each of my course is barely 50% in each :/, and my main question is how does ranking matter? been getting alot of different answers

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't look at your marks, I'm looking at your ranks. 70 is the average so... I think you can definitely do it.

xdosha

HSC
with those marks and ranks, I believe you'll get an Atar of 75 - 80?
Coming first, in 3 subject and 2 in the others, pretty impressive, but im not sure how the tafe, ranks, marks etc work..

2xL

HSC
Ranking matters in that your "Internal assessment mark" is basically one of the external marks of your cohort and you take the corresponding mark in order from highest to lowest. E.g. you are coming 2nd for ancient history. The external hsc marks for ancient history at your TAFE is 90,86,84 etc so you take 86 for your internal mark. Whatever mark you score in the external you also take. E.g. you scored 90 in external. So your total hsc mark for ancient history would be (90+86)/2 = 88

Hope that makes sense. On topic, Keep going! No point giving up now!

enoilgam

HSC
Ranking matters in that your "Internal assessment mark" is basically one of the external marks of your cohort and you take the corresponding mark in order from highest to lowest. E.g. you are coming 2nd for ancient history. The external hsc marks for ancient history at your TAFE is 90,86,84 etc so you take 86 for your internal mark. Whatever mark you score in the external you also take. E.g. you scored 90 in external. So your total hsc mark for ancient history would be (90+86)/2 = 88

This is a common misconception. The person coming first internally recieves the highest external mark from their cohort as their internal mark. The same applies to the person coming last. The rest of the marks are moderated based on ranks and the relative gaps between them.

Morellio

HSC

That does help abit, Thanks! I just like understanding things so im less scared of them :/

And guess i'll stay since everyone thinks i'm doing fine :)
Just scared i won't get the atar i need, that's the main thing

Morellio

HSC
Just one more question, does class average affect your ATAR mark in anyway?

2xL

HSC
This is a common misconception. The person coming first internally recieves the highest external mark from their cohort as their internal mark. The same applies to the person coming last. The rest of the marks are moderated based on ranks and the relative gaps between them.
Ahh so a slight tweak on my explanation! I always knew mine was a bit iffy. Thanks!

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
less than 5 months to go man, just try your hardest, believe in yourself and you can easily get 70 if not higher :) no point giving up now with those marks. just remember your last ATAR and how you felt about that as motivation to not make the same mistakes

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll be fine, just keep at it even when motivation isn't 109%, force yourself to work, think about the benefits it'll provide in the future.

Quitting is hard. Not quitting is harder.

One of these will lead to a better future for you. Pick one :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)