should i do 4u english? (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Thanks for the tip anti, but it wont look like a desperate final thought .... through the chacters memories, we learn the character is indeed the first diciple of the great God Telasekas! ;) A force of good ... though power curropts. This is the underlying theme .... :)

Ac

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by anti

Be careful with the fantasy element, then. It's easy to use it as a sort of deus ex machina device where it appears as though you ran out of ideas (or time). It sounds like you're well on your way, though - I didn't have my idea until a few weeks into term 1, which effectively meant I wasted a term and a half.
haha for any literately-challenged people here (like me)
deus ex machina ==> a soapie-style ending to a story (usually plays) where some sort of god(s) comes down from the heavens and resolves all the dilemmas of the characters, a kind of farcical thing where you go...what the heck?!...just like soapies.

the only reason i know that is cos i had to use it in my comparative lit. essay...

but yeh lord ac, your concept sounds very interesting! very *unusual* indeed! i think its a good idea that you're not giving him crazy super-human powers and that the real fantasy stuff does not really come until the end. for hsc marking anyway, the markers will like that cos its both different and not cliched. and also they'll be sick of marking the same fantasy concept over and over again
-jian

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by johnson

haha for any literately-challenged people here (like me)
deus ex machina ==> a soapie-style ending to a story (usually plays) where some sort of god(s) comes down from the heavens and resolves all the dilemmas of the characters, a kind of farcical thing where you go...what the heck?!...just like soapies.
Why're you doing 4u then? ;)
Hmm, satirising a soapie would be pretty funny though :)

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
My Advice...
- think very carefully about doing more then one subject with a mojor work ( i did three and really regret it)
- use the christmas holidays really, really, really well
- look at other peoples major works so you have an idea of the quality and quantity of work you will need to produce
- attend the english teachers assosiation study day if you do choose it
- be prepared for a lot of work. i would do more work in ext eng 2 then in bio and ancient history put together
- dont leave your journal till the end
- check your word limit !!! for some reason i thought that my limit was 2500 - 5000 for short stories. it was 6000- 8000. i figured this out 2 days before i handed my work in. it was the scariest moment of my life and i am still crying about it.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
How on earth did you not know the world length???

And *that* much work?? LoL - I dont think its that much if you have your idea well planned out ...

Ac

Fradam

Tall man
HSC
The thing is, you'll often find that "having your idea well planned out" won't work. Your idea will likely change and develop. And if it doesn't, I dont think you can satisfactorily demonstrate having done the course (you have to show process).

Implicit in the various assesment tasks is clear articulation of how mentors, research, etc etc have developed and shaped your concept and work.

If you go in beforehand with a clear plan of what you do; all it should really mean is that you have an idea of where you will start. Not neccesarily; where you will end.

Smegger's advice is good. :)

If you want a good view of the course's pressures and the like, check out Lazarus' survival guide he uploaded to the site.

ShirLz

i'd say do something u'rei nterested in or passionate about & something which is your strength - if u know your speakin style can waken a room of dead board of examiners from the grave, then do it, if u're good at analysing, then do a critical response, if u wanna go for the dramatic approach, go for the performance poetry - n good luck ;)

i would advise u to get your researchin over in term 4 n the xmas break [they no longer call it hols in yr 12, esp w/ ext 2!]..i did a critical response, finished the bulk of my research in the xms break, apart from internet researchin...but the thing was i had time to write, rewrite, edit, edit n edit, n write again

i thought ext 2 was good for me personally coz i do all english based subjects, so when ext 2 improved my writing, the marks in all my subjects went up as well.......oh n enjoy every minute u can, coz when its over, its a bit of an anti-climax, a bit of a relief - and a tad of poignance - coz i kinda miss doing all that i did.

aye, something else - don't b too critical of what u do [if u weren't good, u wouldn't b doing it in the first place], n don't just think that its goddamn wonderful - coz u find errors w/your major work even when u edit n edit n edit n edit - something always goes wrong...and be prepared to not do an aspect u really liked or to leave out a part that u really loved - coz part of challenge is to do it within the word limit - n do it welll. Good luck to all u ext 2 takers :) - it ain't as bad as it may sound, but not exactly a bed of roses either.

Well, i've written too much i think :p anywayz, have fun!! i was so busy gettin stressed over it that its only now i realise how much i got out of it n how much i've loved doin stuff on my own..its definitely a change to most subjects...........yeah i think i'll shut up now :p - hehehe

timberlee

i think everyone has the capacity to do this course, its also heaps of fun, you should really do it!

... if you can be sure of 90-100%

sooty_sweep_soo

do 4u! do 4u! do it!!

i did 4u last year for my hsc, and i swear its the only reason i did well. i wrote it a week before it was due, won a national competition with it, and got 49/50. its a pushover and really fun :) [no classes, i like logbooks, no effort, but creative] :)
ahh, and dont listen to those "dont do major works" people.
i did art, drama (individual design project) and 4u, and still aced it. as long as you have fun youll be fine :)
good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)