Should I do commerce (actuarial studies)/advanced maths? (1 Viewer)

omni16

HSC
Hi, I've just completed my HSC and am now contemplating whether or not this degree would be a good choice. I enjoy maths and this degree is obviously very maths intense. Would this degree be a good idea though if I've done no business/economics subjects in high school?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Doesn't really matter if you haven't done any eco/business subjects for the hsc, they teach you from the start.

It would be problem if you didn't do 3-4 unit and you were considering actuarial, i have heard that is the minimum requirement?

nightweaver066

HSC
I've pretty much came from the same background as you, so perhaps I can provide a little insight.

Yes, the degree is still a good idea. Everything is taught from the basics so you don't have to worry about having any prior knowledge. What I found most difficult transitioning from focusing on the sciences to now on various business/economic subjects is the way of thinking, applying the knowledge and learning the content. What should drive you through the course isn't intrinsic talent though, it should be your interest in the field.

If you're interested in learning a bit more about how (essentially) money moves around whilst building your mathematical & statistical skills and you're looking for a challenge, go for it. :)

I've noticed that the new 2014 course involves new compulsory cores, namely MGMT1001, ACCT1501, ACCT1511 which should be much easier than what I'm putting up with right now..

omni16

HSC
Thanks for your response, it is greatly appreciated. Naturally, I find myself tending more towards engineering/science fields since I somewhat know what I'm heading towards even though I am interested in how money works etc. When you made the final decision to do this course, how were you sure it was the best degree for you? Also, out of curiosity, how difficult was it for you to transition from science and get used to eco/business stuff? Thanks again.

nightweaver066

HSC
Yeah I felt inclined towards the engineering/science field (and sometimes I do think of those "what if I chose..." scenarios) at first, but I also wanted to understand economics, finance and most of all, analysing/measuring/quantifying risk and this is really what drove my decision. Even now, I'm still not sure if it was the best degree for me, because although I find the topics taught interesting, I still have a strong interest in the sciences which I hope to satiate through the double degree.

On becoming familiar with economics/business things, I'd say that I am still wrapping my head around things, but I'm getting better as the time goes on (I hope haha).

omni16

HSC
Yeah I felt inclined towards the engineering/science field (and sometimes I do think of those "what if I chose..." scenarios) at first, but I also wanted to understand economics, finance and most of all, analysing/measuring/quantifying risk and this is really what drove my decision. Even now, I'm still not sure if it was the best degree for me, because although I find the topics taught interesting, I still have a strong interest in the sciences which I hope to satiate through the double degree.

On becoming familiar with economics/business things, I'd say that I am still wrapping my head around things, but I'm getting better as the time goes on (I hope haha).
Haha, okay thanks for your input again nightweaver. I'm seriously considering the degree, only thing I'm scared of is absolutely hating the subs which I hope doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Honeyrose44

HSC
Well i definitely liked reading it. This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)