Hello all,

I have recently confirmed my subject choices. I chose:

English (Advanced)
Biology
Hospitality
Italian Continuers
PDHPE
Studies of Religion II

I plan to start school doing those subjects. I would like to know if you think that I could do well in Mathematics. I know that I could succeed in General Mathematics, and I would like to take it. However, I do not wish to do two of the worst scaling subjects (I'm already doing Hospitality).

I got a B7 in Mathematics and an aligned mark of 86 in the state-wide test. I have found that I do enjoy maths in general. However, I tend to dislike doing maths when it is related to school. The exercises in the textbooks are just so boring! I hate the way maths teachers teach maths: "here are some examples of how to solve problems, now solve 50 boring ones on your own". The discussion in maths classes is the only part of them I find enjoyable.

So could I do well in Mathematics? Do you think I would enjoy it - does it get more interesting?

If I did Mathematics I would take only 1 unit of religion.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You do calculus, it's easier than it seems. You should do Mathematics - and if you don't like it, you can drop it. Better to do it and say "But I dropped it" instead of regretting it after.

Klutsov

HSC
As Shadowdude said, 'take it and if you dont like it drop it'.

Also if you are good at it (a B7 if sufficient), it it easy marks for year 12

It is so much more interesting once you start calculus-all topics prior are covered in SC

Schoey93

HSC
I'm going to ring my school tomorrow and tell the principal/have my mum tell her that I will do Mathematics and Studies of Religion I, not 2 units of religion. Studies of Religion II would be interesting, and doing it meant that I had more free periods. But maths has more practical uses than religion and it's more interesting...hopefully we study Judaism in 1 unit RE though. I would love to hear a teacher try to answer "why do they mutilate their young?" I don't believe that circumcision is a commandment from God - what a horrible God we have if it is!

Anyway, calculus sounds quite interesting from what people have said here and from how my maths teacher described it. There's so much you can do with calculus - so many possibilities. Mathematics sounds like the way to go - not piss easy like General Maths and slightly less difficult, although perhaps a bit less interesting than Mathematics Extension.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well - if you believe in a God - He or She gave us an appendix... which serves no particular process. To your thing - perhaps it is a punishment for sin?

Anyways, besides MX1 is interesting - difficult at parts, but interesting. If you think you can do it, try - it doesn't hurt.

occer

HSC
N/A
Well - if you believe in a God - He or She gave us an appendix... which serves no particular process. To your thing - perhaps it is a punishment for sin?
I don't believe in god but...vestigial limb which might serve a purpose in the future?

Schoey93

HSC

Anyways, besides MX1 is interesting - difficult at parts, but interesting. If you think you can do it, try - it doesn't hurt.
The foreskin has a purpose but. It is the most sensitive part of the penis and provides a gliding motion, meaning that as a rule intact males experience more heightened sensation during intercourse. It also stops tiny objects, say, bits of fluff from a towel, entering the urethra.

Anyway, MX1 does look interesting, yes. But it's on the same line as Hospitality (which scales dreadfully, I know) and I anticipate that Hospitality will be my favourite subject.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
What do you mean 'same line' as Hospitality?

martinc

HSC
Hospo doesn't count towards your ATAR just in case you didn't know.

Schoey93

HSC
Excuse me, you're wrong. Hospitality does count towards my ATAR, if I choose to sit for the option external HSC exam, which I will. Tommy, if two subjects are in "the same line" it means that the classes are run at the same time. I can't do both Mathematics Extension or English Extension and Hospitality because I can't be in two places at once, unfortunately.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Oh right, clashes.

Never heard of 'same line'.

Do 2U if you want, it's quite boring though.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
That's up to personal preference, can't really let it decide for you.

I'd be bored of religion

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Good to see this got back on topic from... pen-al foreskin.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yes you should
people who got in the low 80s for maths are doing 3 unit maths

so in conclusion, you should do maths

sure, year 10 maths is boring and all but believe me, it gets MUCH MORE INTERESTING when you get to Year 11

martinc

HSC
Oh okay, thanks for telling me that hospo can count, i didn't knowthat =p And if your problem, why don't you get a Time-Turner . Hermonine got one, and it did wonders.

waller

HSC
yeah you could give maths a shot.

it's a lot better than in junior years I reckon, especially if you've got a teacher that makes you derive each and every formula yourself. makes you appreciate it i guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)