Should i do maths at uni (1 Viewer)

moohoo

HSC
Hello
I am year 12 student currently doing 3 unit mathematics and doing pretty well estimating around 98ish in Advanced and 48ish in Extension and i was wondering if it would be suitable for me to study maths at uni. I really enjoy it and regret that i didn't do 4unit and one of Anu's requirements for mathematical science in 4unit however it says they accept high achieving 3 units. Do you think i should apply there or consider doing maths based subjects like Mathematical science or Actuarial Studies.
Thanks

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Hello
I am year 12 student currently doing 3 unit mathematics and doing pretty well estimating around 98ish in Advanced and 48ish in Extension and i was wondering if it would be suitable for me to study maths at uni. I really enjoy it and regret that i didn't do 4unit and one of Anu's requirements for mathematical science in 4unit however it says they accept high achieving 3 units. Do you think i should apply there or consider doing maths based subjects like Mathematical science or Actuarial Studies.
Thanks
join the master race

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
the only useful maths at uni jobwise is acturial or statististics

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
the only useful maths at uni jobwise is acturial or statististics
Nah I would say any maths or stats is good to do. Maths/stats majors (regardless of pure/applied/financial) I know seem to get the best internships/grad jobs srs.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Nah I would say any maths or stats is good to do. Maths/stats majors (regardless of pure/applied/financial) I know seem to get the best internships/grad jobs srs.
That's true.

Just because someone does pure, it doesn't mean they won't find a job. Employers want people with problem solving skills.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You can make a lot of money with a maths degree tbh.
I thought that's only if you did actuarial though

What other jobs are there (which requires a maths degree) other than engineering, teaching, actuarial and statistics?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
That's true.

Just because someone does pure, it doesn't mean they won't find a job. Employers want people with problem solving skills.
From memory, pure maths grads have a lower unemployment rate than law grads.

I thought that's only if you did actuarial though

What other jobs are there (which requires a maths degree) other than engineering, teaching, actuarial and statistics?
Well those jobs pay pretty well themselves, but there are plenty of others. Oceanology and meteorology come to mind straight away.

The highest paying grad job I know of is for trading firms, and they hire specifically maths grads.

frog1944

HSC
So how do you know if a degree in mathematics is suited to you?

frog1944

HSC
Why is that? Who exactly is employing the PHD in pure maths?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
You can make a lot of money with any degree. LOL. Just depends on whether you use that degree to make money.
when u make money off a women studies degree let me know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)