SHOULD I DO MATHS EXT2???? (ONE LAST TIME) (1 Viewer)

jimmy.chu232

HSC
I burnt out before my maths ext 1 prelim and all that study probably went to waste.....I haven't gotten my marks back yet bc Im still on holidays but can someone please give me advice on whether to do it or not.....in my previous thread I mentioned that I dont like how teachers cherry pick questions in exams which is something that I absolutely hate about maths....majority of the questions were ridiculously easy that really stuffed me up .....but I enjoy diving into deeper concepts only if they are going to be tested comprehensively and thoroughly in yr12 though.....

I often feel like I can do alot better in maths if I formed the right study habits....I think the issue is that I overload myself with content and dont focus enough on the basics which is why I struggle.....I set nice and neat book work and take my time with the questions but I'm so slow at doing the questions..

can someone please give me advice on whether to do it or not???

One good thing is that I can drop ext english which can free up alot of early leaves and that I would have a much better teacher that actually gives in class tests and puts the class under exam conditions that really would benefit my confidence ..... but I only want to do it if

a) the concepts are worth learning
b) most of the concepts will be tested thoroughly
c) there will not be ridiculously basic/easy questions in the exam that will screw me up
d)
I get a good sense of security learning this course...knowing that everything is being covered to a good extent
d) I don't burn out again

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Jimmy - whether or not you should do MX2 is hard to say. We don't really know your maths.

But I have the feeling you are not approaching your maths the "right" way. You yourself may not be able to tell. You need someone else to see if this is the case.

Last edited:

Heresy

HSC
Here:

Check this link out, if you like what you see, pick it. If not choose EX2 and improve on MX1. Again its all up to you.

UStoleMyBike

HSC
Uni Grad
based on your description, no. You can try and drop if it gets too much for you

idkkdi

HSC
I burnt out before my maths ext 1 prelim and all that study probably went to waste.....I haven't gotten my marks back yet bc Im still on holidays but can someone please give me advice on whether to do it or not.....in my previous thread I mentioned that I dont like how teachers cherry pick questions in exams which is something that I absolutely hate about maths....majority of the questions were ridiculously easy that really stuffed me up .....but I enjoy diving into deeper concepts only if they are going to be tested comprehensively and thoroughly in yr12 though.....

I often feel like I can do alot better in maths if I formed the right study habits....I think the issue is that I overload myself with content and dont focus enough on the basics which is why I struggle.....I set nice and neat book work and take my time with the questions but I'm so slow at doing the questions..

can someone please give me advice on whether to do it or not???

One good thing is that I can drop ext english which can free up alot of early leaves and that I would have a much better teacher that actually gives in class tests and puts the class under exam conditions that really would benefit my confidence ..... but I only want to do it if

a) the concepts are worth learning
b) most of the concepts will be tested thoroughly
c) there will not be ridiculously basic/easy questions in the exam that will screw me up
d)
I get a good sense of security learning this course...knowing that everything is being covered to a good extent
d) I don't burn out again
If you're slow at doing 3 unit questions, you sure as heck are going to spend a tonne of time doing 4 unit.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Jimmy - whether or not you should do MX2 is hard to say. We don't really know your maths.

But I have the feeling you are not approaching your maths the "right" way. You yourself may not be able to tell. You need someone else to see if this is the case.
That true I dont think Im approaching my maths the "right" way....I honestly feel like I always do the brutal method..

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Ask your teacher, for example, to check you out and advise you. Maybe you can handle MX2, given the right guidance. I presume you are beginning Yr 12 now - so you don't have much time to seek help/advice. People on this forum cannot advise you meaningfully because they do not know your true situation.
Good luck.

vinlatte

HSC
I'm also taking MX2 2020 course, and it definitely helps to have at least 2 textbooks. I currently have the New Senior Mathematics and Maths in Focus and they both have different example questions that can help with tackling the different types of equations. Ask your teachers and they'll be happy to offer you textbooks to borrow.

Definitely use your free periods to study since the classes will cover the teaching of the topic. Completing exercises and example questions really helps you to realise what you need to apply to solve equations.

And practice is key! When you understand the concept and applied it in different situations, you'll start to pick up your pace in answering the questions.

Overall, if you are willing to put in the extra effort and sustain that over the year, then you should take MX2.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Ask your teacher, for example, to check you out and advise you. Maybe you can handle MX2, given the right guidance. I presume you are beginning Yr 12 now - so you don't have much time to seek help/advice. People on this forum cannot advise you meaningfully because they do not know your true situation.
Good luck.
I dont think my teacher really knows me she hasn't exposed me with enough in class practice exams to know my strengths and weaknesses....my former maths teacher on the other hand (term 1-term 2ish) exposed me to in class topic tests and exam conditions which I did reasonably well in them (even topped the class 2nd place which really stunned him).....so im not sure asking my current maths teacher would help and if I were to ask anyone I would ask my former math teacher....

However in term 1, he was pretty disappointed with my marks because he thought I would do better.....it was due to the fact that I did so well in the in class practice exams leading into the first assessment but suddenly came into the first exam and bombed it....I still passed but my adv and ext was like 70 and 60ish

jimmy.chu232

HSC
I'm also taking MX2 2020 course, and it definitely helps to have at least 2 textbooks. I currently have the New Senior Mathematics and Maths in Focus and they both have different example questions that can help with tackling the different types of equations. Ask your teachers and they'll be happy to offer you textbooks to borrow.

Definitely use your free periods to study since the classes will cover the teaching of the topic. Completing exercises and example questions really helps you to realise what you need to apply to solve equations.

And practice is key! When you understand the concept and applied it in different situations, you'll start to pick up your pace in answering the questions.

Overall, if you are willing to put in the extra effort and sustain that over the year, then you should take MX2.
Loook I'm worried I might burn out....especially because teachers cherry pick questions and I also in yr11 have relied on an additional textbook (mastering mathemmatics I think) ontop of the school's maths in focus text book but I came into the yearly completely flat out

I loved all the ext concepts and some adv concepts up until the yearly that destroyed me

vinlatte

HSC
Loook I'm worried I might burn out....especially because teachers cherry pick questions and I also in yr11 have relied on an additional textbook (mastering mathemmatics I think) ontop of the school's maths in focus text book but I came into the yearly completely flat out

I loved all the ext concepts and some adv concepts up until the yearly that destroyed me
It seems like you're really stressed on this, so I thought it be best to show the more optimistic side of keeping MX2. At least take it for a few weeks to see how your workload is, especially with EX1.

And with the cherry picking of questions, either you should choose your own questions to challenge yourself or discuss it with the teacher. Teachers sometimes don't realise that their teaching may not be as effective as they thought. But they are also human, so voice your concerns. Teachers can change if it improves their students learning.

From what I've heard, prelims are marked at an HSC level. So teachers aren't expecting A grades since students haven't learnt all of the content of the course. And definitely the prelims for MX1 crushed me too. I just passed at 52%. I also felt burned out but it's mainly due to the workload of having so many subjects. I did drop Business Studies as soon as I could, it felt relieving to let go of the future stress that I will encounter if I did keep it. I would suggest you should also narrow your subjects since taking extension, or even both, can be too much to handle.

Your strength is in your interest in maths. That intrinsic motivation can make MX2 a rewarding subject. And also consider why you need MX2.

If you are still in doubt, really consider taking the class for a few lessons. You can always drop any extension class later in the year if you feel like its too much. Also, have a discussion with your teacher or year advisor. Ask any and all questions you have, hopefully it will relieve the worries you have about the subject.

Amazing luck on your decision, you got this!

jimmy.chu232

HSC
It seems like you're really stressed on this, so I thought it be best to show the more optimistic side of keeping MX2. At least take it for a few weeks to see how your workload is, especially with EX1.

And with the cherry picking of questions, either you should choose your own questions to challenge yourself or discuss it with the teacher. Teachers sometimes don't realise that their teaching may not be as effective as they thought. But they are also human, so voice your concerns. Teachers can change if it improves their students learning.

From what I've heard, prelims are marked at an HSC level. So teachers aren't expecting A grades since students haven't learnt all of the content of the course. And definitely the prelims for MX1 crushed me too. I just passed at 52%. I also felt burned out but it's mainly due to the workload of having so many subjects. I did drop Business Studies as soon as I could, it felt relieving to let go of the future stress that I will encounter if I did keep it. I would suggest you should also narrow your subjects since taking extension, or even both, can be too much to handle.

Your strength is in your interest in maths. That intrinsic motivation can make MX2 a rewarding subject. And also consider why you need MX2.

If you are still in doubt, really consider taking the class for a few lessons. You can always drop any extension class later in the year if you feel like its too much. Also, have a discussion with your teacher or year advisor. Ask any and all questions you have, hopefully it will relieve the worries you have about the subject.

Amazing luck on your decision, you got this!
Okay I'll think about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)