Should I do this for SOR1? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

HSC
Hey everybody,

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on just preparing one religious tradition for the essay in SOR1 and the other religious tradition for short answers? The questions are usually exactly the same for both traditions and you effectively halve the amount of preparation you need to do and can just focus purely on that particular tradition for that section.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Thunderstorm

HSC
I don't think you necessarily 'halve' the preparation at all. The essay can ask for a Practice, Person or Ethics or a combination of 2 of these or even all 3. So you have to know all your content. Let's say you did Christianity and Islam. You went in knowing you are going to write about Christianity for the 20 marker. You still need to know all the Islam content for Practice, Person and Ethics for the short answers which are essentially mini essay responses! So you're not saving time at all. You still need to know all your content for both traditions.

The big issue with your idea however is if you are asked about a specific part of the course that you may know in better detail in one religious tradition over another and vice versa. Let's say they ask a Practice related question in the essay. But you know your Hajj knowledge better than Christian Baptism, you will have to swap them round. Same goes if they asked for Ethics or the significant person.

Personally, I do Christianity and Islam and will go in on the day and adapt to questions. Whatever tradition I can write about the most in the essay I'll choose depending on the question. For example, if it's significant person I'll do Christianity, practice I'll do Islam, ethics I'll do Christianity. A combination, probably Christianity but again, depends on the specific question. But at the crux, you need to know both traditions in depth so it doesn't save time but you can still choose to go in with a particular mindset I guess.

JohnnyG

HSC
Yeah I phrased that wrong. You don't really halve the preparation but there are certainly aspects of essay preparation that you don't require for short answers, particularly quotes. There is more content required for essays than shorts.

But even you are kind of doing the same thing, just to a lesser extent. Whereas I would rather do Christianity for all essays over Islam. You're picking and choosing a bit but still going in with the mindset that you will do this tradition for this question etc. It just saves preparing say a practice question for both traditions and learning all the quotes etc.

spatula232

HSC
Yeah I phrased that wrong. You don't really halve the preparation but there are certainly aspects of essay preparation that you don't require for short answers, particularly quotes. There is more content required for essays than shorts.

But even you are kind of doing the same thing, just to a lesser extent. Whereas I would rather do Christianity for all essays over Islam. You're picking and choosing a bit but still going in with the mindset that you will do this tradition for this question etc. It just saves preparing say a practice question for both traditions and learning all the quotes etc.
I'd be using quotes in short answers bro

Thunderstorm

HSC
I'd be using quotes in short answers bro
Yeah this. Essentially you need to know the same stuff in the same depth.

Your method is fine OP it just won't save time. I mean the more quotes you know for short answer the better you can adapt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)