Should i drop 2U Maths completely? (1 Viewer)

yataa55

HSC
i really want to achieve a decent ATAR above 80
my subjects are
English advanced
English extension 1
Modern history
Arabic continuers
Arabic extension
Biology
Throughout my years i always did well in math but due to personal issues i was forced skip a huge chunk of yr 11 work and therefore i am scared to continue with math and fail because i do not have a good understanding of year 11 which is the basic knowledge for year 12. I did fail my prelim exams as i did not have enough time to learn everything i missed out on and i am kind of struggling at the moment. I always enjoyed math but now since i am struggling and do not understand much of the content i am losing interest in this subject and motivation to study for it.
Any thoughts and advice of what to do in this situation? i am prepared to work hard but the lack of motivation and support from teachers is stopping me from doing so. Is it still possible to achieve well in Math even if i missed out on most yr 11 content.
Thanks for reading and i appreciate all answers. Sorry if i posted in the wrong section, i am new to this

astroman

HSC
Math really is a subject where you need a solid foundation before you can begin building your foundation of knowledge efficiently, so I suggest you drop if you missed year 11 math since it forms the basis for much of what you will learn in year 12.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well it really depends on what degree you want to do in uni. If you want to do a science degree of some sort (where maths is a prerequisite/assumed knowledge) then I would advise you keep it but if you are planning to do another degree like Arts (which doesn't require a maths prerequisite) then I'd advise you to drop it

However since you missed out on a huge chunk of yr 11 (which is an issue) you could always catch up in the school holidays as that is the time to look over your prelim stuff (since prelim is at least 30% of the total HSC external exam)

You could do a bridging course at uni (if you drop maths) however people say that it is quite rushed and you don't learn the fundamentals in a proper manner which I think will make you struggle in uni

Simorgh

HSC
i really want to achieve a decent ATAR above 80
my subjects are
Arabic continuers
Arabic extension
Drop these two lol. Just work hard in 2 Unit Maths and you still have time to catch up. Its still possible to do well, and I know one guy who got like 35% in his 2 Unit Yearly in Yr 11 but for HSC he improved and got Band 6.

Why would you want to study Arabic?? Of what use does it have for you in real life?

Last edited:

Whicanti

HSC
Why would you want to study Arabic?? Of what use does it have for you in real life?
OP could want to pursue a career as a diplomat to an Arab nation or interpreter in international affairs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)