• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I drop 3U maths? (1 Viewer)

Line|z0r

Hello, I am a yr 11 student who is about to enter yr12 next term. I have almost finished our preliminairy exams. My current subjects are
-3unit maths (2U + ext1)
-Advanced English
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Software Design and Development
Total: 11 units.

I did my 3 unit test on friday and I don't think I went very well. This year I felt that I didn't do all that well, I got 57% in the half yearlies. Anyhow, I am considering dropping 3U maths, and going down to 2U. I am considering because I was thinking; If I do reasonably well in all my other subjects, apart from 3U maths, will 3U maths be counted in my UAI? And if it is...will it boost/scale my marks a lot higher? If it doesn't improve my UAI, then I think it will just create more work for me, when in fact it won't do much good, esp, if it is not counted.

Has anyone else had this experience, or know of how much 3U helps your UAI?

I am really excited about going to Uni and studying Dentistry if I can get into it...I don't completely understand how you need a UAI of 99 (98 if u pay upfront) and also need 1 year of uni (basic science course). What UAI do you need to get into that basic course? When you finish that course (and pass) does it boost your UAI? I ask this because I do not think I can get 99
I think a high eighty score would be around my limit. I have read a little about upgrading etc, but I don't fully understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Line|z0r

Last edited:

Line|z0r

i also do photography, but i drop that next year too...

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You did exactly what I did in year 11. I did all your subjects as well as photography.

And im in the exact position as you. Currently in going to do my HSC soon and my 3U maths isn't going to count.

If you think 3U is going to be something you really hate or don't like doing, make sure you check with your teacher first for advice before you drop it. 3U is a good thing to have to add to your UAI but it's not worth it if you try and still fail. You just waste time which could be spent on other subjects.

I ended up not dropping it because I was already well into the year 12 course and dropping it wouldn't make a difference, since i don't waste any time trying at all on it.

If you are doing reasonably well in your other subjects and know that your 3U won't be good enough for it to count to your UAI, then by all means drop it. You get a few extra free periods which could be spent wisely. But definitely you should confer with your teacher to decide which is best for you and ask yourself a few questions.

If I spend a lot of time fixing up my 3U, will it greatly affect my other subjects?

If I do decide to keep it but not make it count, would the teacher understand? Or tell you to just drop it?

Is 3U really going to be the one that doesn't get counted?

How is your software design going?

It could end up that 1U of SDD won't count if you do averagely. Because 3U has good scaling and you might be surprised that it counted. Which is a good thing because BOS takes the best 10 scaled subjects.

In the HSC, they ask 70% HSC Course questions, 30% Preliminary. you should also take the time to look at what will be ahead of you and decide whether you will like what you will be learning before you jump into any conclusions. As said, your teacher will be best at making these decisions. You said you wanted to do dentistry? And it requires a 99 UAI? If you want to go through the straight path of earning a 99 UAI, extension 1 maths would best to be kept as it scales well. But if you really do expect a high 80's you should look at alternate pathways. But don't give up! Maybe you do have the capability to earn such a great UAI. It's not good starting year 12 thinking that you will only achieve a high 80. You should aim for the highest possible UAI.

As for your dentistry situation, sorry, I'm not too familiar with it. I can't seem to find that course anywhere on the UAC book. Which university is it? Normally its best to get in there first go but if 99 is out of your limit you can always try a transfer (or work very very very hard and get a 99 UAI).

If you got any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm in the EXACT same position as you are.

Last edited:

Jeo

Well, 3U maths is very very hard, and I personally wouldn't do it unless im doing 4U... because 4U is way easier

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
4u easier than 3u???????? thats bizzarre (i do 3unit only)

heyy i wanted to denitstry too...i think u can do medical science which is cut off of like 93-95ish

this may have changed

Jeo

4U is easier than 3U... with scaling anyway... i mean, my friend only answered 2/3 of the 4U 2001 paper, and got 92 scaled mark. so basically he only attempted 66% of the paper, try that in E1, and you're pretty much stuffed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)