HSC
Hey, i am currently doing 12 units.

Physics
chem
bio
adv eng
3u maths
4u maths

In year 11 i was ranked 7th in physics but i think i can improve a significant amount this year with a bit more work. I think i am able to be ranked 3rd at the end of year 12. Same applies to Chem and Bio.

Ext 1 maths im ranked about 4th and in ext 2 maths about 5th or 6th.

English is by far my worst subject, at the end of year 11 i was ranked 45/99. however i plan to improve this year to about 25/99.

I have a problem though. I feel as though i am not putting in enough work to all my subject because i have 12 units. I am seriously considering dropping down to 10 but i dont know if i should take the chance.

I want to do med next year so dropping Chemistry is not an option, i feel i can easily do well in physics. Dropping maths is also not an option.

Bio is just taking up so much time trying to deal with all the content.

So should I drop bio and do 10 units or stick with 12 units for HSC????

Sorry if this post if hard to follow.

Thanks in advance

Zephyrio

HSC
I would say just keep all twelve units. Plenty of people get great UAIs doing 12 units. Statistically, it's been shown that those who do more than ten units get better HSC/UAI results. That's what my career advisor said.

Last edited:

jackattack

HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Statistically, it's been shown that those who do 10+ units get better HSC/UAI results.
Well considering 10 is the minimum you'd hope so hey.

ccc123

HSC
Yeah I'd agree with Zephyrio considering your rank. It's safer to have more then 10 units anyway. As for the fact dropping Bio would give you free periods, its widely acknowledged that unless you're a robot, you will get distracted during them and not study. Take it from someone who has free periods :)

Zephyrio

HSC
I have free periods too! (Just because I have some afternoon classes) More than often, I just sit and chat.

Why didn't you do extension two English, ccc123?

ccc123

HSC
I sort of chickened out at the last minute, thinking about the subjectivity and work involved for a 1 u course. I really regret it now though, because its sounds awesome. How your MW going?

Zephyrio

HSC
Aw, that's a shame.

And it's so much work for a 1u subject. My MW is going fine... if a little late I suppose. The bright side is that you're acing your subjects, don't have the stress of a major work and have some free periods.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
How about dropping to 3u and you'll have a bit of spare time to juggle with your E work? When dropping st, it doesn't mean you have more free time to much around (unless you're that foolish). A proficient student always knows how to filled in the blanks with the most appropriate works. Doing 10 units like now, I have much more time to spend on 4u maths and English. Basically I have time to devour any novel I can grab and that's so fun. Plus 4u maths is very time-consuming. Dealing with Bio is just a matter of time and how clever you internalize the knowledge, I think. Last year I thought I would fail in all my bio exams because I felt I was an outsider in any discussion taking place within the class (basically I don't have many ideas about Aus biota but I can boast blah blah blah in anything involved in calculation. lolz) but I didn't end up at the bottom. Well, now I'd agree with the suggestion on the level of ease for Bio. (I didn't actually)

Anyway, if you can handle, just keep the whole lot of 12 units otherwise just drop Bio if you want 'cuz it doesn't have an as good scaling. (pretty bad)

rob_e

HSC
Just thought I'd give my 2 cents about bio scaling..

I did equal amounts of work for all my subs and got a 95 in bio which contributed more to more uai than 92 in eco, 91 in chem, 93 in 2u math and 89 in english.

moral of the story being get over 90 in decent subjects and you can forget about scaling.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
because you got a middle band 6 for Bio but not for the others. The difference of each subject contributing to your UAI is also affected by the sort of range you get for each band. (low-middle-high)

Gosford

HSC
bio gets better and easier in year 12 i think. I was coming 47/49 in year 11- predicted band 4 in bio. I picked up my game and came 6/45 in year 12 and got 92 (my only band 6). I also wanted to do med and even though you will relearn it in med its still good to know. I almost dropped it after year 11 due to bad grades but instead dropped physics and never looked back. Where are you applying to med?

yorkstanham

HSC
hey gosford, i will be applying to med pretty much everywhere with UNSW being my first choice.

loser101

HSC
considering english u need to count 2units, thats you biggest stumbling block, so instead of thinking about dropping and wasting time on nonsensical questions and asking everyone to give you permission to drop a subject, you should spend time to get your english writing techniques down pat.

i can tell you if you stuff up 2 units of your 10, then you wont get the 99+ u require for med.

HSC
Just to add one question, i've just finished the first module in bio prelim (pathsways) and i'm finding it really boring. How is the HSC course? Just wondering what others think.
Cheers.

sickofbans

Banned
HSC
Year 11 bio is like being raped over and over with a cheese grater, I don't know anyone that liked it.

Year 12 is better, although I still find it horrible.

HSC
sickofbans said:
Year 11 bio is like being raped over and over with a cheese grater, I don't know anyone that liked it.

Year 12 is better, although I still find it horrible.
Raped with a cheese grater, well what ever turns your on.:uhhuh: :p
Cheers.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
It's not too bad, I think. The kidney part seems fun so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)