Should i drop bio? (1 Viewer)

gothed0ggies

HSC
I reaaallllly want to drop bio , but i've been told it'll scale me up when it comes to the UAI , so i dont know if i should , i dont enjoy doing it lol and im not failing it but im not coming first either .

You reckn i should?

these are my other subjects

Studies of religion (1)
Maths - General (2)
Visual Arts (2)
Photography - automatically drops next year (1)
Ancient History (2)
Society + Culture (2)
Biology (2)
English Adv (2)

and im thinking of picking up ext history ( if that makes any difference lol )

:rolleyes: Thanks

HSC
if i were you, i'd wait until you've done a bit of the year 12 course. i hated year 11 bio, but i assure you the HSC topics are waaay more interesting. it's actually one of my favourite subjects now. BUT you don't really need a safety net since you'll still have 11 units if you drop it (12 if you pick up ext. history), but it seems to be the highest scaling of your subjects.

as for extension history, i'll warn you now that everyone i know that does it says the amount of work you get is like a 2-unit subject, yet it only counts for 1 unit.

loz8888

HSC
i agree, i hated the preliminary bio course - it sucked. now, its much more interesting and i enjoy it a lot more. however, its your choice. it depends what subjects you thinkk you can do best in in the hsc and what you enjoy.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
i heard that Bio scales you DOWN, unless you get really good (over 90)
Yea, chemistry pwns bio (content and scaling wise). But Bio isn't scaled too bad.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
foram said:
Yea, chemistry pwns bio (content and scaling wise). But Bio isn't scaled too bad.
what about physics? I heard that's pretty good.
But Bio is really boring and the content is massive!

populusque

HSC
Yeah, if you don't ace it you'll be screwed, like Advanced Maths; our dux did it a few years ago... and he duxed. Bio classes aren't the cream of the crop, but if you actually study for it really high marks are possible.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
what about physics? I heard that's pretty good.
But Bio is really boring and the content is massive!
You are joking, right?

I do both Chemistry and Biology. I reckon Chemistry has got more contents. (I feel that way)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
You are joking, right?

I do both Chemistry and Biology. I reckon Chemistry has got more contents. (I feel that way)
I'm the opposite. Biology has way more content to memorise in comparison to Chemistry.

And as for dropping Biology. If you chose Biology so you can get scaled up, but you're currently failing, I'd suggest you drop it. But from Year 12'ers whom have posted, maybe the Year 12 course is more interesting :confused: You may also do well. But if I were in your shoes, I'd say sayonara to Biology.

Oh, and talk to your year advisor.

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
i heard that Bio scales you DOWN, unless you get really good (over 90)
i hear the scaling isn't exactly awesome, but if you look at all her other subjects, it seems to be the highest scaling.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
russianROULETTE said:
i hear the scaling isn't exactly awesome, but if you look at all her other subjects, it seems to be the highest scaling.
Apart from English Advanced & SOR I.

SOR I has the same average scaling as Biology.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Because you know so much about Biology. :rolleyes:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Razizi said:
I'm the opposite. Biology has way more content to memorise in comparison to Chemistry.
Same with me, the content for Bio is MASSIVE and really really boring. I have a mild interest in what we do in Chemistry. I'm thinking of dropping Bio at the moment and picking up 4u English. It's my worst subject.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Sarah182 said:
Same with me, the content for Bio is MASSIVE and really really boring. I have a mild interest in what we do in Chemistry. I'm thinking of dropping Bio at the moment and picking up 4u English. It's my worst subject.
Yeah, if my best teacher doesn't come back (the head teacher of science), then I'm also dropping Biology and picking up 4U Maths. I'll die in 4U :wave:.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you hate it the most rational decision would be to drop it.

HSC
Apart from English Advanced & SOR I.

SOR I has the same average scaling as Biology.
true. but still, if she drops bio she will have three units with decent scaling out of eleven, the rest are all pretty average.

not saying you should choose for scaling, but if you're concerned about it, then it's something you should factor into your choice.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Because you know so much about Biology. :rolleyes:
You stalk his posts looking for any reason to attack :p

sannous1

HSC
drop it , if u find it boring, and ur not gonna like to study it for ur HSC drop it and pick up Extension history if u like that, why do a sub u dnt lik and get like an average mark , when u can get lik an ova 90 for extension history sumthn u like, u noe wat i mean

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
mid-way through year 11 i thought there was no question i was going to drop bio. i ended up keeping it and i'm glad i did.

i'd say keep it for the first term of HSC and see how you go. like others have said, yr 12 content really is alot more interesting than prelim. you might change your mind about it, and if you don't, just drop it at the end of first term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)