should I drop discrete maths? (1 Viewer)

Khe123

HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing both MATH1131 and MATH1081(discrete) but the workload is quite heavy and learning concepts in them both I find it quite time consuming and slow for me to understand. i have barely started any work in discrete maths as I am still behind in most of my subjects and have attended 2 tuts so far.

Is it advisable to drop it and take it up in the second semester (will have to do 1231)? Or even 2nd year (won't pick up maths subjects)? I don't want to lengthen the time it takes to complete my degree yet I don't want to lag behind to the point where I achieve a bad mark. I'm confused...would appreciate any and all help!

edit: also would not want any financial penalties/payments etc.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, what exactly are you finding hard about it?

If you delay it, you'll be going through the same content anyway - so you have to ask yourself what it is about the content you're finding difficult. Or is it just a general "I'm not used to studying at uni yet" thing?

D94

HSC
N/A
If you will be doing MATH1231 in second semester, then chances are if you delay MATH1081 to second semester, you will be in the exact same situation. Courses will get harder, more content will be covered and you will face the exact same dilemma every single semester.

I think you should address the reasons why you are falling behind, as Shadowdude is saying. Have you made use of consultations, tutorials, SSS and even just asking others for assistance?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Courses get harder in second year and the workload increases (I'm doing one at the moment and its workload is higher than the rest).

So you need to consider why you don't understand MATH1081 work and try to see if you are capable of finishing the course at all.

Alternatively you might want to consider doing it in the summer (if it is offered).

Drewk

HSC
Yeah i would also advise not to drop it just cause you are falling behind a little, you can catch up in a weekend if u are dedicated enough. For the upcoming test this week on topic 1 i am thinking of doing a revision thread(im also sketchy on a few concepts) so that will probs help you out, and you can always watch lectures online to revise etc. Like others have said you will do the same course again later it will be as difficult and if you delay to 2nd year it might limit ur subject choices as some CSE subjects require/ is good to have 1081 knowledge.
Also what day do u have ur topic 1 test?

slaya785

HSC
N/A
It depends on your degree. If you need to do it then don't drop it. I think you will find that there are many people in the same situation as you. Form a study group or something. Work together and you will find that the subject is more enjoyable and you will be able to get through!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)