Should I drop ext maths? (1 Viewer)

magoshitsjosh

HSC
Okay I'll TRY and keep this short. Here are the pro's and con's of dropping it:

Pro's:
- more time to focus on other subjects, as it takes up about half of my overall study time.
- it'll feel good, because i hate ext 1 maths so much. I just don't understand motion at all. I'm having trouble with 2U motion, so obviously 3U motion is no chance. Even though I study the most for it, I jsut don't get it. So it'll feel so good if I drop it.

Con's:
- increased pressure to do well (i'll be stuck on 10 units)
- can't screw up drama (i'm basically assured of getting a band 6 in everything except drama)
- my parents would've wasted a lot of money spent over the years on tutoring (since I was in yr 4)
- ^and then my parents would be mad at me.

ATM, i'm 2/27 in Modern, 10/36 in Ancient, 27/135 Eng Adv, 17/50 Maths Adv, 9/12 in Drama (but I'll definitely get boosted up by at least 2 in Drama, after trials)
and i'm 73/103 for Ext 1 Maths. So far for Ext 1 Maths my marks have been 80, 72, and 85. And I go to Girraween High School. I'm hoping to get a 97+ ATAR. So is it in my best interests to drop it?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

imbecile

HSC
Dude I'm doing worse than you, and I'm going to keep it. Plus a 40 in X1 outweighs a 90 in drama, so screw it. it's your life bro

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should keep it, I am worried about Drama counting for one unit let alone two for you!

Girra has pretty solid maths results too, you would probably be getting an E3 with your rank outweighing a Drama score unless it's really high (and with your drama rank ehh not likely).

Keep your 11 units at this point imho.

HSC
Keep it. The % of people who get top band for MX1 is high than drama (11% vs 36%) And it scales much better (understatement).

loaves

HSC
I'm usually all for dropping maths... but given that you aren't sure about your drama marks, I'd prob keep it. Also Girraween should have fairly strong maths results, so your rank definitely isn't that bad.

magoshitsjosh

HSC
Thanks guys. But, what if I could guarantee I'd be 5th for Drama? Would you still recommend keeping MX1? (Also, my school has a very high standard for Drama this year. Even thoguh I'm coming 9th, I'm still averaging 90+). I'm only 9th because we've only been assessed twice. So far only 25% of our Drama mark has been determined. And I'm definitely moving up 2, and if I use the MX1 time to focus on Drama, which I don't study at all, I think I can move up another 2 fairly easily)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you hate Maths Extension 1, then you should drop it.

It's not going to be a safety net for you ATAR wise if you're going to do horrible in it and waste your time in it.

magoshitsjosh

HSC
I hate it with a passion. It quite literally makes me go into depression (I'm not joking). I have nightmares about doing poorly in MX1. My grade is super competitive with Maths and it's just demoralising. But I just don't feel safe with Drama, and these people are confirming my fears. Even if I end up 5th/6th, with an average of 90, is that a high band 5? (I really want to be on the all rounders list). I'm 100% confident of getting a band 6 in the external. Is the all rounders list based on internal only, or both?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)