Should I drop ext2? (1 Viewer)

ezgiarda

HSC
I got 80% for the first assessment, and ranked 2nd, though my schools ranking is so bad (~290). We've only done complex numbers and curve sketching so far, and I feel that I'm pretty confident with complex numbers and graphing is pretty easy too though I am way too slow. Also I've seen somewhere that they are regarded as the easiest topics in the course so I'm not sure if I'll be able to achieve a good mark if I keep it. So should I drop it as it takes a lot of time for revising and finishing the homework, or would keeping it be a better idea as it would help me have more choices for uni and further studies. Also if I was too keep it, what could I do to be able to do the questions faster? (Obviously I do past papers and practice questions etc but what else?)
Any advices would be greatly appreciated

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You appear to be doing quite well already - maybe not what you hoped. Keep it up. You'll be OK. Use the holidays to cover another 1 or 2 topics yourself.

Without seeing how you do your maths, it is hard to say how you can do your questions faster. Lack of speed can be due to so many different reasons. One possible reason is, at this stage, you have not fully mastered the topics yet.

Last edited:

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I think complex numbers are underrated as a topic in MX2, because they have the ability to be extremely difficult. Plus with the HSC exam new format, there isn't the whole free 15 marks in Q2 of generic basic complex numbers anymore, meaning it's more likely that you will see the harder complex numbers come up in exams. 80% is an extremely good mark. I got 64% in my first assessment that included complex and polynomials, and ended up with a HSC mark of 93. Ultimately, it comes down to if you are willing to put the effort in to obtain the high marks, because MX2 is about 25% natural ability, 75% hard work.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Don't drop.

Our school is ranked much lower than yours and the lowest HSC mark was 84.

To get faster, you just need to practice. Also, the final exam is 3 hours. You will find that after time you will get faster.

It used to take me 3 or 4 hours to do just one Terry Lee exercise, trying to understand what I had to do in every step.

When I was doing past papers, the questions were not as time consuming, because I already knew what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)