Should I Drop ... ? Honest Opinions Will Be Greatly Appreciated (1 Viewer)

xyi

HSC
Hey everyone, so here is the situation.. My school is ranked in the top 30s and my current subjects are Extension 2 maths, Extension 1 english, physics and chemistry (total 11 units)

My ranks are as follows:
Adv eng: 49/152
Ext eng: 28/31
4u maths: 22/33
3u maths: 55/85
Chemistry: 10/77
Physics: 24/53

While I am very well aware that I am not performing too great in all my subjects, I found that I have lost all motivation for Ext 1 english. Our module is texts and ways of thinking: after the bomb, and for some reason I just can't get my head around the paradigms. Despite writing countless drafts for the first assessment task, (a creative), I ended up receiving 16/25 and was very much devastated (the time spent on it also compensated my other subjects). Our next one is an essay but I honestly don't want to spend any time on it at all. So the main question is, SHOULD I DROP IT?! That would mean I will end up having a total of 10units which is quite risky.

I recognise that I am not doing well in my other subjects, but I do not have the same attitude towards them as I do to Ext 1 english. Like, I am much more willing to open any of my maths/science textbooks and study or begin my adv eng essay drafts than I am to ext 1 english.

That is not to say I haven't tried in Ext 1 english because I really have spent a lot of time on it. To give a greater insight, I started writing paragraphs for ext 1 english for my essay since last holidays, but I just kept changing them and changing them every week, never satisfied until I didn't even want to look at it anymore. So essentially, I'm back to square 1, an empty doc but with lots of time wasted. But knowing my first set of marks I KNEW I had to try, but this just made me procastinate... a lot... because I was always trying to avoid it even though I knew this was the wrong way to go about it.

I am someone who loves my sciences and I know I can definitely jump to top 10 for both physics and chemistry as long as I continue making notes and consistently doing practice questions (which I have). Also my cohort is quite strong and we are all quite bunched up together (e.g. if i got one more mark for my HY in chem, i would be ranked 5th) and I am willing to spend a lot of time studying for maths (which I have been). Same goes for advanced english.

SO, do you guys feel i should drop ext 1 english? My main concerns are my maths marks although I am trying really hard in it. Any advice would be lovely. Thank you all in advanced and sorry for the long post!

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Drop it

If you know you're going to spend more time fixing other subs why bother with ext 1 then

xyi

HSC
See, originally i thought as long as i put in the effort i can definitely improve and looking at my maths marks really scared me and i thought ok, MAYBE ext 1 will count in the hsc.. but since i dont even want to work on it now i don't know what to do. because even though i spend a lot of time on maths, it just doesn't seem to be paying off and that really hits my self-esteem :'( All my friends have been telling me to keep it until I get my marks back for my next assessment and then decide but every time i look at what i've written I just want to cry.

my school is also very adamant towards dropping down to 10units. The upcoming assessment is THIS FRIDAY. dont know if i can drop in time (i will need to fight for it)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
See, originally i thought as long as i put in the effort i can definitely improve and looking at my maths marks really scared me and i thought ok, MAYBE ext 1 will count in the hsc.. but since i dont even want to work on it now i don't know what to do. because even though i spend a lot of time on maths, it just doesn't seem to be paying off and that really hits my self-esteem :'( All my friends have been telling me to keep it until I get my marks back for my next assessment and then decide but every time i look at what i've written I just want to cry.

my school is also very adamant towards dropping down to 10units. The upcoming assessment is THIS FRIDAY. dont know if i can drop in time (i will need to fight for it)
tbh sometimes it isn't about how much effort you put, its more about whether or not you've got the ideas down pat and expressed clearly enough in ext 1
i think you should talk to your deputy or careers person about which subs will count and which won't...and like i know it sucks when you put in a lot of effort and you kinda get rekt in your subs :( sorry to hear about that

xyi

HSC
I know, my teachers always tell me I have problems with expression haha, but at least for advanced its more : context, technique, textual example, some references to the module, practice and you're pretty much set. For extension, suddenly its no longer as restricted to techniques and quotes (although you do need them) since they care more about how much you understand the ways of thinking during the cold war (for my module) and i just seem to be struggling.

But yes i shall do that on tuesday. Thanks heaps! :)

tbh sometimes it isn't about how much effort you put, its more about whether or not you've got the ideas down pat and expressed clearly enough in ext 1
i think you should talk to your deputy or careers person about which subs will count and which won't...and like i know it sucks when you put in a lot of effort and you kinda get rekt in your subs :( sorry to hear about that

emilios

HSC
You sound like you're not enjoying it. I was in the same position as you a short while ago. I found that the immense workload of the subject wasn't worth the extra 1 unit and yes it did detract from my other subjects. After dropping it, I felt like a great weight was lifted from my shoulders. But that's just my opinion, was never much of an English person anyway.

Last edited:

xyi

HSC
yeah i think i will drop it. thanks to all who posted :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)