Should I drop Legal Studies? (1 Viewer)

rubydawes

HSC
N/A
I've been told repeatedly that Legal Studies scales badly. Also I know for a fact that my cohort are doing very badly. For example the mark range for assessments so far: 6-19 (out of 20) and 23%-93%. So obviously it will be scaled down, from what I understand. However i've achieved the top marks in both so far with little effort. I want to get the highest possible ATAR, so should I drop LS just because it scales badly? Or should I keep it for easy marks, in case I stuff up another subject or start finding it too hard?

My other subjects (i'm putting how i'm doing with each so you can get an idea about what i'll be left with)

English Ext 1 (coming first in adv. and ext.)
Maths ext. 1 (I think i'm coming in the top 10 for both, we haven't got our ranks. but I got 95% in adv. and 85% in ext.)
SOR II (coming 2nd. I might drop down to 1 unit to accommodate picking up extra extensions, but I have to do SOR because I go to a catholic school)
Music (i'm dropping this before year 12 for scaling and also I don't rank)
Modern History (no marks back yet, but i'm fairly confident)

simplyinsanity

HSC
Since you are coming first, I would suggest you don't drop legal studies. Scaling is NOT a good reason to drop a subject. By coming first (provided you also come first in externals), your external modernated mark will equal your internal mark. So don't worry :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
My rank in legal studies? 1st. My school is in the 160s
I would say keep it.

A rank 1 for your internal, if you manage to maintain it, is great for isolating yourself from any unforeseen tragedies by your fellow classmates in the external exam (which has the prospect of bringing your internal down if you were not first).

Besides, why would you sacrifice a subject that is most likely going to count since your first, with the hopes of increasing your marks in maths or whatever other subject it may be?

Legal is a great subject, it is quite straight forward and fairly interesting. I would also hate to see you come on here post-trials, asking about how significant the impact may be because you unexpectedly did not do well in one of your other subjects and you are on ten units.

Keep it as a failsafe.

simplyinsanity

HSC
I would also hate to see you come on here post-trials, asking about how significant the impact may be because you unexpectedly did not do well in one of your other subjects and you are on ten units.

Keep it as a failsafe.
Definitely :)

enoilgam

HSC
I would probably consider keeping it in this case - Legal Studies isnt exactly a powerhouse scaler, but it isnt dreadful either. Besides, since you are doing so well in it with relative ease, I think it would make an excellent back-up. Also, dont lock yourself into dropping music either - give all your subjects a fair go and then make up your mind later in the year when you have a more solid perspective of the subjects and your performance in them.

rubydawes

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your input! My only worry is that the classes can get really tedious because there are annoying people in my class that the teacher facilitates. However i'll definitely keep it until I'm sure that I wont regret dropping.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks everyone for your input! My only worry is that the classes can get really tedious because there are annoying people in my class that the teacher facilitates. However i'll definitely keep it until I'm sure that I wont regret dropping.
There are people like that in my class, too.

The teacher is equally annoying towards them, however.

Since you are first, try to exclude yourself from such individuals and do not put them in your thought process, because a group of retarded students who are ultimately not going to affect you anyway should not influence whether or not you keep a subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)