Should I drop Physics, i.e. to 10 units? (1 Viewer)

Empathy

HSC
Some background info:
Currently I have 12 units, which include ESL, MX1, MX2, Business Studies, Economics and Physics.
In our term 4 assessments, I came first in ESL, Business and Economics, and came second (equal with two others) in Physics.
We haven't had any math assessments yet so I can't tell much of that.
I go to a school ranked within 100-150

My problem is that I kind of dread Physics. Throughout Year 11 it was the subject I put the least effort in and even now, I would do work from other classes in Physics, almost without fail. I also came 7/30+ in Year 11 overall.

What is holding me back is the fact that I have no idea how I would go with 4U, as we haven't been tested yet.
If it makes a difference, in Yr 11 overall I came (equal with one or two others, to my memory, for both) 3/80 in 2U and 4/38 in 3U.

I would say I do enjoy what we're doing in 4U, and am definitely willing to put the effort into it, not as much as into Physics.

Also, I would have to go through quite the effort to drop Physics, as my 4U teachers are not too keen on allowing 4U students drop to 10 units.

So my questions are:
Should I drop Physics or should I just wait till after my first 4U assessment? And if I were to wait till after my first 4U assessment, does that mean I should study for Physics in the holidays? (lol I don't want to :lol: , I'm doing it for other subjects though)

Your input is much appreciated!

photastic

HSC
Drop units after your first exam results. Doing 12 units is a waste of effort and atar once you hit the half yearly exam period.

Last edited:

Kaido

be.
HSC
Whilst many people wait until they receive their half-yearly examination marks before dropping, that's probably because they didn't mind doing both, just didn't know which one they'd do better in.
By the looks of your situation OP, I'd definitely consider dropping Physics ASAP. As already mentioned: saves you time, effort and will only drag your other preferred subjects down

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
see how you are going by term 2. if your mark suddenly drops for phyaics
then it is no point keeping it. that's why I dropped on the last day of term 2 down to 10 units.

Empathy

HSC
Thanks guys, for the help!

Whilst many people wait until they receive their half-yearly examination marks before dropping, that's probably because they didn't mind doing both, just didn't know which one they'd do better in.
By the looks of your situation OP, I'd definitely consider dropping Physics ASAP. As already mentioned: saves you time, effort and will only drag your other preferred subjects down
I think you made a good point. I'm not too keen on working on my Physics... :spin:

First day back I'll just confirm with a teacher, but I guess I'm leaning more towards dropping it asap.

obviouslyme

HSC
Based on the 2014 cohort, it seems to be hard to enter into the 99+ ATAR without getting band 6 in 4U maths or if you don't state rank. My friend got all rounder with 3U maths and didn't make it into 99+. So i would say to drop Physics and really smash the Maths exams (make sure you get band 6s) for the 99 + :)

A lesson i learnt in Year 12: Never doubt yourself, never fear, always believe you can do it and you will.

puneetnanda

HSC
Yes drop it i was in a similar dilemma and it was one of the best decisions of my HSC (although i did still do 12units-so my decision was slightly easier).

Empathy

HSC
This is such a decision. Does Physics generally scale better than Economics and Business Studies?

Ok, maybe set 4U aside for a moment.
Hypothetically speaking (lol), considering the fact that I'm putting minimal effort into Physics and decent amount of effort into Eco and Bus, getting decent and slightly above decent marks respectively, do you guys think if I put in the same effort into Physics as I do into Eco or Bus, I will get better marks in Physics than I could possibly in either Eco or Bus?

A weird question I know, but it was just something that crossed my mind.
A guy I know who did pretty well in his HSC told me awhile ago that if I can do well in it, but don't like it, I should just suck it up. Hahaha thoughts?

obviouslyme

HSC
Yes the guy is right! Speaking from my experience, I disliked biology but did above decent while I loved Chemistry and only got decent. But i dropped Chemistry later. It's the worst decision of my life.

Teachers say you should do what you are good at while others say you should do what you like (as you will spend more time studying the subjects). But I reckon from my experience, you should do what you are good at AND suck it up :p (It's only one year and you want to do the units that will make a good contribution to your marks).

In fact, Chem was the subject that b l o o d y pulled my ATAR down

As for Eco, Bus and Physics, maybe wait until half yearly is over and see which ones you are better at.

My opinions ~

This is such a decision. Does Physics generally scale better than Economics and Business Studies?

Ok, maybe set 4U aside for a moment.
Hypothetically speaking (lol), considering the fact that I'm putting minimal effort into Physics and decent amount of effort into Eco and Bus, getting decent and slightly above decent marks respectively, do you guys think if I put in the same effort into Physics as I do into Eco or Bus, I will get better marks in Physics than I could possibly in either Eco or Bus?

A weird question I know, but it was just something that crossed my mind.
A guy I know who did pretty well in his HSC told me awhile ago that if I can do well in it, but don't like it, I should just suck it up. Hahaha thoughts?

Empathy

HSC
Yes the guy is right! Speaking from my experience, I disliked biology but did above decent while I loved Chemistry and only got decent. But i dropped Chemistry later. It's the worst decision of my life.

Teachers say you should do what you are good at while others say you should do what you like (as you will spend more time studying the subjects). But I reckon from my experience, you should do what you are good at AND suck it up :p (It's only one year and you want to do the units that will make a good contribution to your marks).

In fact, Chem was the subject that b l o o d y pulled my ATAR down

As for Eco, Bus and Physics, maybe wait until half yearly is over and see which ones you are better at.

My opinions ~
I'm guessing there's a mistake somewhere, otherwise I don't get it.
I see what you and my friend mean, and yeah, I've to find out if I'm actually better at Physics than Eco and/or Bus.
Will defs take this into consideration!

thanks for the input :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)