Should I drop SOR II? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
Hi!
I was wondering if I should drop SOR II? I currently do SOR II accelerated and I hate it so much that I don't do the work because I'm so unmotivated to do it. My assessment marks are great however, I am unsure of my rank as I haven't gotten my assessment marks back yet for the course. My rank is not the best but not the worst in SOR II. I would like to spend more time on my other subjects, such as Maths as I enjoy it more. However, if I drop it now I have to start a new elective halfway (which I don't really mind, although I might not get the best results in it) and my efforts and hard work will not be counted for this course. But what happens if I still continue the subject and gain more knowledge on studying and HSC? But then again, I know if I continue the subject, it will be unlikely for me to get a Band 6 as I know I won't spend the effort to do well for the SOR II HSC exam in October?

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Hi!
I was wondering if I should drop SOR II? I currently do SOR II accelerated and I hate it so much that I don't do the work because I'm so unmotivated to do it. My assessment marks are great however, I am unsure of my rank as I haven't gotten my assessment marks back yet for the course. My rank is not the best but not the worst in SOR II. I would like to spend more time on my other subjects, such as Maths as I enjoy it more. However, if I drop it now I have to start a new elective halfway (which I don't really mind, although I might not get the best results in it) and my efforts and hard work will not be counted for this course. But what happens if I still continue the subject and gain more knowledge on studying and HSC? But then again, I know if I continue the subject, it will be unlikely for me to get a Band 6 as I know I won't spend the effort to do well for the SOR II HSC exam in October?
You're comparing yr 10 marks to yr 12 marks bruh (in regards to your electives). If you truely believe that SOR II aint it, leave it. No point in reducing your atar just for the sole purpose of 'getting it done'.

Not to be mean tho, just the cold hard truth.

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
You're comparing yr 10 marks to yr 12 marks bruh (in regards to your electives). If you truely believe that SOR II aint it, leave it. No point in reducing your atar just for the sole purpose of 'getting it done'.
But like I've spent so much time on SOR already and idk if it will be a waste if I drop it when trials are like 90 days away.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
But like I've spent so much time on SOR already and idk if it will be a waste if I drop it when trials are like 90 days away.
idk man I'm getting mixed responses here. its like saying I did 15 hrs of a building job which requires 6 months worth of man hours. 15 hrs is allot but it wont let you finish the damn thing unless ur @ExtremelyBoredUser . If youre not confident and believe you are not going to study for it why on earth would you hurt your atar in order to finish an accelerated course?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Wouldn't you spend this same amount of time for the subject that you pick yp?

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
idk man I'm getting mixed responses here. its like saying I did 15 hrs of a building job which requires 6 months worth of man hours. 15 hrs is allot but it wont let you finish the damn thing unless ur @ExtremelyBoredUser . If youre not confident and believe you are not going to study for it why on earth would you hurt your atar in order to finish an accelerated course?
It wouldn't hurt my atar cause I'm not gonna count it towards my final units when I do my HSC but I do it rather for the experience and how HSC works.

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
Wouldn't you spend this same amount of time for the subject that you pick yp?
Like the elective I pick up when I drop SOR?

No, but I spend more time on SOR than any other subject because I have to make more notes and then eventually, do past papers and trial papers.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
It wouldn't hurt my atar cause I'm not gonna count it towards my final units when I do my HSC but I do it rather for the experience and how HSC works.
Here's my logic.

Keep the subject:

I hate studying for a subject => lowered motivation and focus
lowered motivation and focus => lesser quality of study
exam marks roughly = quality of study * quantity
hence lesser quality of study => lesser marks
=> subject doesn't get counted into ATAR and you wasted valuable time

Drop the subject:

More worry for doing good in other subjects => Increased anxiety and weariness

IF you take this as a challenge and utilise more time;
Increased weariness + More time => Greater motivation for excelling in current 10 units
Greater motivation => More quantity of study + quality (if done right)
hence better performance.

IF you become purely more anxious and worried;
Worry + Anxiety => Panic + regret
=> Less quality of study + overall motivation
Lesser marks + deepened regret

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
Here's my logic.

Keep the subject:

I hate studying for a subject => lowered motivation and focus
lowered motivation and focus => lesser quality of study
hence lesser quality of study => lesser marks
=> subject doesn't get counted into ATAR and you wasted valuable time

Drop the subject:

More worry for doing good in other subjects => Increased anxiety OR weariness
Increased weariness + More time => Greater motivation for excelling in current 10 units
Greater motivation => More quantity of study + quality (if done right)
hence better performance.
YESSS!! and also, I have three early-morning periods per Fortnite as well as 2-4 more as well (not cause of SOR) because of something and it makes me so tired. 💀

carrotsss

HSC
Tbh I hated sor accelerated until right before trials when it kinda clicked for me and I started doing well (hence my awful assessment mark). Controversial but I’d say stick with it, if you’re in year 10 it’s not like there’s anything else better to do with ur time anyway (yr10 doesn’t matter at all), and even if it doesn’t count for you (it won’t), the experience of having gone through the trials, studying process and hsc is seriously really valuable in year 12, it helped me a ton to become way more organised and figure out how I study best.

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
Tbh I hated sor accelerated until right before trials when it kinda clicked for me and I started doing well (hence my awful assessment mark). Controversial but I’d say stick with it, if you’re in year 10 it’s not like there’s anything else better to do with ur time anyway (yr10 doesn’t matter at all), and even if it doesn’t count for you (it won’t), the experience of having gone through the trials, studying process and hsc is seriously really valuable in year 12, it helped me a ton to become way more organised and figure out how I study best.
Tysm for the response!

But, I haven't done most of the work (we are up to Judaism right now and I haven't completed the work since Buddhism module). However, if I drop it I'm scared I'll realise I shouldn't have dropped it. :( But, with the time I do SOR, i will be able to study for my subjects for prelims.

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
But, I'll try talk to my teacher about it tho and see what he tells me as well :))))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)