Should i drop to General Maths? (1 Viewer)

Buggy00

HSC
I'm in year 11 and i'm not really sure if i should drop to general maths, i'm not sure if what i want to do needs 2U maths but my subjects are so maths heavy. I feel like i'm failing in Maths (-C and C student) and most of my classmates are dropping out too. I should of done the IB for maths studies. Also is there much of a difference from maths and gen maths in marks and scaling.

FancyPenguin

HSC
How do you know you're bad at maths, you're 2 weeks into the course. Also what other subjects are you doing?

2u is just about doing questions, it's not that hard, as long as you put in the effort you can do fine

Buggy00

HSC
How do you know you're bad at maths, you're 2 weeks into the course. Also what other subjects are you doing?

2u is just about doing questions, it's not that hard, as long as you put in the effort you can do fine
Year 11 starts in Term 4 last year for my school, and i did a test with only 15/45. I do Physics, engineering stud, Info Process, Software Design and Adv English

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 starts in Term 4 last year for my school, and i did a test with only 15/45. I do Physics, engineering stud, Info Process, Software Design and Adv English
How much effort are you putting into mathematics? Could you potentially get a tutor? What career do you want to do? Does the degree you want to do have any prerequisites or recommended level of knowledge?

funnytomato

HSC
I'm in year 11 and i'm not really sure if i should drop to general maths, i'm not sure if what i want to do needs 2U maths but my subjects are so maths heavy. I feel like i'm failing in Maths (-C and C student) and most of my classmates are dropping out too. I should of done the IB for maths studies. Also is there much of a difference from maths and gen maths in marks and scaling.
So what's your possible plans for university ?

Would it require some degree of mathematics ?

If yes, you're much better off tackling the problem earlier , rather than avoiding it and leaving it for later. (in most cases, problems never get solved that way) Just imagine cramming a two-year HSC course in a few weeks

If you're NEVER going to need that much maths, there is nothing wrong with dropping to general maths if that makes your life much easier.
BUT that will probably affect your ATAR due to the significantly worse scaling of general maths.
However, doing very poorly in 2u maths wouldn't be of much help either.
If I were you, and assuming I wouldn't need maths in further study/career, I would probably pick up another subject instead of doing general maths.

Ethaw

HSC
Yes, doing really well in general generally works out better than the extra scaling from standard and doing "not bad."
The only problem is assumed knowledge, you can always bridge though I guess.
It sort of feels good to have work that you feel you can ace without much effort, and this often seems to be the case as there is a huge gap between standard & honestly they should have something inbetween for all those that drop out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)