• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

should i drop to general?!! (1 Viewer)

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
hi everyone
any help will be greatly appreciated
i just entered year 12 and doing 13 units.
maths and chem are my worst two subjects, and biology is my best and i really want to be a zoologist.
i am really sturggling in maths and am really considering dropping to general maths, and i really dont like chemistry so i want to drop that too.
if anyone has some advice i will be so grateful!!
thanks!

HSC
are you struggling in maths because you're not really putting the effort in or because you are putting a reasonable effort and still struggling? if its the latter then drop back to general otherwise stick with it.

as for chem, if you can't see yourself pushing through the subject then its probably best to drop it. if you're doing the acidic environment topics now and don't like it you're probably going to loathe the rest of the course.

but all the same see how you go in this terms assessments.

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
i have to admit i am not working at my best in maths, but i think even if i did i wouldnt be doing to well, i just cant understand the concepts very well and my teacher isnt that good.
chemistry im doing ok in, i just dont enjoy it very much.
thanks for your help =)

AdrianM

HSC
I found myself in the same situation not too long ago, actually. I was doing 2 Unit Maths, and it was by far my worst subject of my 12 units. I decided it was in my interest to change courses to General, and I must say, it's probably the best decision I've made in a long time. Not only is it easier to understand and to get marks in, it gives you more time to do work for your other subjects as well. If you're putting some effort into 2 Unit Maths, and not getting the results, then it'd be a wise move droping to General.

I hope that helps ;)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
I was thinking about dropping adv maths for general but I realised that the courses are very different. Personally, I'd never be able to handle a year of finance and the rest of it so I tried hard and I'm getting around 80! ^^ Study really hard for an assessment and if you get less than 75 (of course if it's a hard test it's your rank that counts) you might want to consider dropping depending on what you want your UAI to be.

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
thanks for your help guys, im defs getting lower that 75 lol, so i think i will drop to general, i understand financial maths and all that jazz.

but if anyone else has any advice i would love to hear it
thank you all so much!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I dropped from 2u to General at this time last year and although the gen math content is much easier and simpler - it is still time consuming. Be consistent and you'll be fine. :)

JoshuaW

HSC
if 2u maths is to hard and you are struggling to get the marks drop down to general because it will still help u in zoology. i also think you should keep chem because it mite help u in zoology but im not sure on that because i dont do chem.... i hope i helped

PC

HSC
N/A
If you're doing 13 units, consider not doing any maths at all?
The chem is important.

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
thanks guys :)
i have to hand in my form tomorrow, so ill drop to general and keep chem for the moment, and if i find it too hard ill drop chem, but if im doing ok then ill drop math altogether
we'll see how i go :)
thank you!!!:)

sasa-o8

HSC
I know people who have been getting <20% all year back in year 11 and still get like 9% now into the HSC year. But I think they've realised, and have finally decided to drop.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Mmm i had someone in my ext 1 class for year 11 who failed every single assessment in maths and ext 1 and our teacher suggested to her privately and very kindly that perhaps she should consider general for yr 12 and she told him to go get F*cked . I mean he was trying to help *rolls eyes* but eventually she dropped to general....

Macca58

HSC
at the end of year 10 my school held seminars for the subjects we had chosen. i had chosen 2u maths because i thought i was farily good at maths. then came the pre assumed knowledge part of the seminar. teacher was wrting stuff on the board i hadnt even heard of so halfway through the seminar i left and dropped down to general maths, i think this was the right desicion as so far im finding general maths pretty easy, infact easier than year 10, except algabra, i hate algabra! but aprat from that, easy. its better to ace general then fail 2u right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)