Should i drop to standard english (1 Viewer)

murthyakshtih

HSC
hey i was just wondering if i should drop to standard english because my advance english results for prelim haven't been that good, also when i did put 85 for advance and then the same for standard there was only a .5 difference on the overall star calculated.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
That's completely different
Download the raw mark database and see for yourself how high you have to get in English Standard to achieve similar result in English Advanced.
Don't drop down

murthyakshtih

HSC
how come there is only a .5 difference is there other things which determine it ? like i heard that it aligns badly from people on the forums page but i don't understand what it exactly does ?

enoilgam

HSC
Do not drop to Standard - the nature of Standard means that it is extremely difficult to get a Band 6 and even a Band 5 in the subject. You are far better off doing Advanced, especially considering that it isnt much more difficult than Standard.

From memory, there Standard and Advanced scale the same but align differently.

murthyakshtih

HSC
what does it mean by align cause i'm not to sure about what is meant by the term itself? but i'm not doing to well in advanced i know the tests are of similar nature but texts are harder in advanced than standard

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Like I said earlier, download the raw mark database.
Aligning is where your raw mark gets 'aligned' according to the difficulty of the subject. Advance aligns much better than Standard, I'll give you an example; a raw mark of 64% in Standard will align to 75 whereas a raw mark of 64% will align to 83.
Edit: Now scale these to marks of 75 and 83, which one's better?

Last edited:

murthyakshtih

HSC
oh k i understand but my main concern is that i will struggle in the advance course i understand that the same mark reflects better in the advance course than that of the standard course but do people still do well in standard. i will reamin in the advance for now as i don't think i will drop i will drop however why does it always come up with a .05% difference on the attar calculator are there factors such as rank ?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
oh k i understand but my main concern is that i will struggle in the advance course i understand that the same mark reflects better in the advance course than that of the standard course but do people still do well in standard. i will reamin in the advance for now as i don't think i will drop i will drop however why does it always come up with a .05% difference on the attar calculator are there factors such as rank ?
Only a few do compared to English Advanced
English Standard and English Advanced scale the same, stop worrying about the .05 -.-

enoilgam

HSC
Only a few do compared to English Advanced
This pretty much. Last year, only 0.51% got above 90 in Standard and 15.24% got above 80. In advanced, 12.58% of people got over 90 and 41.51% got above 80.

murthyakshtih

HSC
lol i'm not worried about the .05 thing it's just the amount effort i'm talking about thats all? but i understand what you mean by they are the same and that i'm better off sticking to the advance course :)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
lol i'm not worried about the .05 thing it's just the amount effort i'm talking about thats all? but i understand what you mean by they are the same and that i'm better off sticking to the advance course :)
The amount of effort...I don't know but I've heard Advance is only a bit harder. Seriously though, I'm willing to do a much harder course just because 64 aligns to 83 rather than 75.

murthyakshtih

HSC
i'll will probably stay in advance my teacher recommended i drop to standard and that in terms of marks it's the same but she said if your willing to put the effort it's fine that i stay? how come most teachers never mention anything about aligning

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
i'll will probably stay in advance my teacher recommended i drop to standard and that in terms of marks it's the same but she said if your willing to put the effort it's fine that i stay? how come most teachers never mention anything about aligning
They can't be bothered explaining I guess...Or they believe Standard students are treated equally in terms of aligning

spatula232

HSC
Because they don't want you to pick your subjects based on how the subjects align.

deloving

HSC
To put it into perspective (from memory) being in the top 25% in Advanced is equivalent to the top 1% of Standard. Or something like that.

So no, do not drop.

ResourcesHSC

HSC
Don't drop to standard English. It's not hard to get a band 5 - 6 in advanced.

NWO

HSC
I dropped to standard when i got less than 50% :( plus half the class got less than that..?! In standard, they mark extremely harshly. a guy got 1/15 for his creative in year 11. daf..?

murthyakshtih

HSC
well today the head teacher of english strongly recommended me to drop and told me to tell her if i was gonna stay or not ? based from experience what do you guys recommend i do ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)