Should I drop to standard math? (1 Viewer)

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
I'm in year 11 and am studying Adv Math, Adv English, Biology, Economics, Business Studies and Design and Technology. I recently got my first test back for math adv. I got 28% and scored slightly below the average. I feel like dropping to standard will be better for me as I feel like I can perform far better and have a high rank. However, I am still worried about scaling. I want to study business at university, and some business majors require adv math prerequisite knowledge such as calculus. Should I drop to standard math doing a bridging course after school, or stick it out in Advanced Math?
honestly, don't drop it. do another assignment and see how you do, if ur willing to put the effort in to improve your marks and another thing is, it's going to get harder than the term 1 task (i'm assuming you did functions and graphs in t1)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
dumbcurry: maybe you need good guidance. You may have worked hard; but if you have been approaching it the wrong way, you'd not do well. No guarantee you will do well in Standard either if you drop. Luckily you are at beginning of Yr 11. You still have some time to seek remedy.

Suggest you find a good 1-on-1 maths tutor. He can diagnose your problems and hopefully prescribe a good remedy. Of course it is not easy to say who is good. It's like trying to find a good Travel Insurance policy; I don't know which company is good and which not so good. Of course you ca read reviews.
Damn for a second I legit thought drongoski was roasting someone by calling them a dumbcurry 🤣🤣🤣

dumbcurry

HSC
dumbcurry: maybe you need good guidance. You may have worked hard; but if you have been approaching it the wrong way, you'd not do well. No guarantee you will do well in Standard either if you drop. Luckily you are at beginning of Yr 11. You still have some time to seek remedy.

Suggest you find a good 1-on-1 maths tutor. He can diagnose your problems and hopefully prescribe a good remedy. Of course it is not easy to say who is good. It's like trying to find a good Travel Insurance policy; I don't know which company is good and which not so good. Of course you ca read reviews.
yeah, I'll try and find one. Thanks for the advice!

dumbcurry

HSC
honestly, don't drop it. do another assignment and see how you do, if ur willing to put the effort in to improve your marks and another thing is, it's going to get harder than the term 1 task (i'm assuming you did functions and graphs in t1)
All my teachers have been telling students do drop adv math if they failed the test. They said its better to start the standard course asap, to catch up on the material. Is this true or not?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
All my teachers have been telling students do drop adv math if they failed the test. They said its better to start the standard course asap, to catch up on the material. Is this true or not?
If you decide you want to change to Standard, then it's best you do so ASAP.

Last edited:

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
standard is basically 5.3 and 5.2 topics from years 9 and 10, if you did 5.3 or 5.3/5.2, it would be easier for you to catch up on the material

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
ur gonna repeat mathematics from yr 9+10, so nothing really to catch up on bruh

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I had a kid in my ext 1 math class today who got 12/35 on an Advanced test despite only giving one incorrect answer... because he only attempted 13/35 marks worth of questions. And he's still doing ext 1 math.

Just because you fail one test does not mean you need to drop. It really just shows that you didn't study enough and need to buckle down a bit more in the future. At least, that may be some inspiration for you.

hehe43

HSC

This isn't necessarily good advice. If someone is getting 28% in an advanced maths exam, they aren't studying enough. A tutor will not solve this problem. Tutoring can be helpful, yes, but it is far from necessary, and a tutor cannot make you study. Many people get a poor mark on an exam and then immediately get a tutor, and then get another poor mark in the next exam and ask what they did wrong and blame their tutor. What they did wrong is not studying enough of the right stuff, and most of the time their tutor was not the problem. Furthermore, all the top students I have met who go to tutoring do not rely on it to do well, and merely utilise it as extra help and resources.

@dumbcurry, if you want to do well in advanced, I recommend:
1.Getting a copy of Cambridge
2.Attempting ad many questions as you can from it for each topic, especially the harder ones.
3. Getting hold of as many past papers for year 11 advanced as you can, and doing all the questions relative to the topics that you are next tested on.

If you do this consistently throughout the term, it will almost certainly get you to a level in advanced where you are doing very well. If this is too time consuming or too much of a struggle and does not see you getting better results in the next exam perhaps standard would be a better fit for you. Please remember, tutoring alone is not a solution, but consistent self study is necessary for the hsc. Good luck.

HSC
I do wonder, how are you approaching past papers? I find most people who do past papers AND are not performing well are doing something wrong in their preparation.

For every full past paper you attempt;
  1. Complete it in timed conditions (any questions you do not complete you can return to untimed later)
  2. Mark it yourself, reasonably harshly, according to the marking criteria
  3. When you get a question wrong, ask yourself - what did I do that caused me to get this question wrong? What do you need to change in your thought process?
  4. If there is a question that you did not know how to do at all, revise similar types of questions to familiarise yourself with that idea again.
I would suggest trying this if you have not already before dropping.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
This isn't necessarily good advice. If someone is getting 28% in an advanced maths exam, they aren't studying enough. A tutor will not solve this problem. Tutoring can be helpful, yes, but it is far from necessary, and a tutor cannot make you study. Many people get a poor mark on an exam and then immediately get a tutor, and then get another poor mark in the next exam and ask what they did wrong and blame their tutor. What they did wrong is not studying enough of the right stuff, and most of the time their tutor was not the problem. Furthermore, all the top students I have met who go to tutoring do not rely on it to do well, and merely utilise it as extra help and resources.

@dumbcurry, if you want to do well in advanced, I recommend:
1.Getting a copy of Cambridge
2.Attempting ad many questions as you can from it for each topic, especially the harder ones.
3. Getting hold of as many past papers for year 11 advanced as you can, and doing all the questions relative to the topics that you are next tested on.

If you do this consistently throughout the term, it will almost certainly get you to a level in advanced where you are doing very well. If this is too time consuming or too much of a struggle and does not see you getting better results in the next exam perhaps standard would be a better fit for you. Please remember, tutoring alone is not a solution, but consistent self study is necessary for the hsc. Good luck.
[/Q
What if dumbcurry were mentally deficient, or has a wobbly foundation in basic maths. Do you think, in this case, he'll be able to pick up a copy of Cambridge and do as you suggested? That approach may suit somebody bright like you. But we just don't know much about dumbcurry. Appropriate advice can be given only when we know his true situation. In fact he may not even know how to help himself.

Last edited:

hehe43

HSC
What if dumbcurry were mentally deficient, or has a wobbly foundation in basic maths. Do you think, in this case, he'll be able to pick up a copy of Cambridge and do as you suggested? That approach may suit somebody bright like you. But we just don't know much about dumbcurry. Appropriate advice can be given only when we know his true situation. In fact he may not even know how to help himself.
If dumbcurry is "mentally deficient" or has a wobbly foundation in basic maths, he shouldn't be doing the advanced course. Also, Cambridge introduces its concepts gradually, and if a person cannot solve the more basic of the questions for each exercise after reading the explanations, I would also recommend dropping to standard.

Furthermore, by your own logic, we should not suggest one on one tutoring because it does not work for everyone and we do not know dumbcurry's true situation. Perhaps he does not have the money for a good one on one tutor. However, we do know he has the capacity to help himself, as he has posted on here asking for help, something that many students would not do.

Also drongosoki, just because you tutor students one on one, this does not mean it is a good solution for many.

Last edited:

Vall

HSC
if you did 5.3 maths in yr10 (and actually payed attention in class) then you probably shouldn’t drop to standard. you’ll be bored and find it super easy. maths advanced actually teaches useful stuff for uni at a pace far slower than what uni (or a bridging course) will attempt to teach it to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)