Should I give up? (1 Viewer)

Killerdoggy19

HSC
NOTE: THIS IS NOT ME ASKING IF I SHOULD KILL MYSELF. I DON'T WANT TO GO TO A MENTAL ASYLUM AND WEAR A STRAIT JACKET WHILE SITTING ON MY BUTT FOR 24 HOURS A DAY WHILE SEEING NO FRIENDS OR FAMILY. OK???

Recently, I have gotten low marks in chemistry, economics and English. I got around 50% in them. These are in assessment tasks and I have my trials in a few weeks. I have gotten 50% around in my half-yearlies except for maths and chemistry (I'm superior in maths)

Should I give up? I feel I should drop out of school because I have gotten low marks, its better to just start TAFE or whatever rather than waste my time with the HSC and trials...

P.S: I'm not doing this for attention. I actually like to be discreet but I need opinions of those who have a fresh mind to my case.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You've made it this far and have nearly completed school/the HSC.

In less then 120 days it will all be over.

Don't drop out. You've nearly finished!

Killerdoggy19

HSC
You've made it this far and have nearly completed school/the HSC.

In less then 120 days it will all be over.

Don't drop out. You've nearly finished!
But no mather how much work I put in, no matter how many papers (even 1,000,000 (I'm exaggerating of course)) I do, I will always get 50%. The highest mark I got was 93% in mathematics. I would just be putting myself to suffer of when I get the marks. It's better to give up rather than face the pain again.

It's like I gave up driving when I failed the driving test. I don't have to deal with that pain

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
But no mather how much work I put in, no matter how many papers (even 1,000,000 (I'm exaggerating of course)) I do, I will always get 50%. The highest mark I got was 93% in mathematics. I would just be putting myself to suffer of when I get the marks. It's better to give up rather than face the pain again.

It's like I gave up driving when I failed the driving test. I don't have to deal with that pain
Have you been handing in past papers for your teacher's to look at?

It's possible you are overworking yourself?
Even if you don't revise I'd still stay in school and sit all your examinations/assessments etc because you've somehow managed to survive 12 years of school (nearly 13)

Killerdoggy19

HSC
Have you been handing in past papers for your teacher's to look at?

It's possible you are overworking yourself?
Even if you don't revise I'd still stay in school and sit all your examinations/assessments etc because you've somehow managed to survive 12 years of school (nearly 13)
I actually don't like school. IF I graduate, I am not going to keep any souvenirs, I am going to burn my textbooks, uniform, delete pictures and remove my friends on FB. My bad marks have made my 2 years bad and I want it to end. I still think that I would be wasting 120 days as I would get <50%

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I actually don't like school. IF I graduate, I am not going to keep any souvenirs, I am going to burn my textbooks, uniform, delete pictures and remove my friends on FB. My bad marks have made my 2 years bad and I want it to end. I still think that I would be wasting 120 days as I would get <50%
Try and sell your textbooks? Its worth getting money for them if you can.

I don't think many people actually like school.

What is 120 days if you've already managed to survive over 2000 days of school...

It will all be over before you know it.

Killerdoggy19

HSC
Try and sell your textbooks? Its worth getting money for them if you can.

I don't think many people actually like school.

What is 120 days if you've already managed to survive over 2000 days of school...

It will all be over before you know it.
Oh, thanks for reminding me to sell my textbooks! Need to get my money back in an attempt to recover some of my wasted money...

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
This is seriously deja vu. Don't give up. I was in your situation about a month go, i was upset about my ranks and how they didnt reflect the amount of time and effort i put into it. But how i got through was that i realised that yeah sure my ranks and marks are bad but what was i going to do about it? Am I going to approach HSC with all i've got and leave with an atar or am i going to quit and regret it for a couple of months. Sure, you might be getting bad marks but you gave it everything you've got. Sometimes giving everything you have isn't enough but putting in that effort makes all the difference.

We've only been through the HSC for 2 years. Thats 2.5% of our entire life and you have 120 days left. Thats nothing!

Don't give up, I empathise with you and understand that you want to quit. Don't. Just from now, study your ass off and whatever happens, happens. You can't control the future. You don't know if you can achieve your goals. All you can do is put in the work, prepare, do your exams and hope for the best. If you achieve your dreams, good on you then. If you don't, you have 50+ years ahead of you. Start with new goals and go at them full blast.

A lot of people can tell you, "you only have 3 months left/ dont quit" but from my perspective and experience, it's all about what you want to do (but that can often be influenced by emotion). So find out what you want to do. If thats quitting school and attending TAFE then good luck to you but make sure its what YOU want to do and not just because you hit a small bump in your life.

Last edited:

natrat1997

HSC
Your marks DO NOT reflect your intelligence. YOU STUDY HARD and BE PROUD OF THAT. I am in the same situation as you... I haven't gone well in a few tasks recently and I am doubting my abilities, but keep going!!!
how about trying different study techniques, like mindmaps?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
You can't change your past or how the past played out. What you can change is the now.

You can do this, assume it. From that place start taking steps towards achieving your goal, in every moment until the pens down of your final exam. No excuses, you are not a special snowflake and if i could do it you can. If you fail do so with some pride in knowing that you fully applied yourself to your goals.

At this point nothing is holding you back but yourself

I can offer you this but hey, i don't actually care what you do. By all means quit, but dont expect to be fulfilled any more than you are now.

wutisthis

HSC
N/A
give up
don't bother

dude NO.
GO ON, might've well finish what you started
don't be that half ass kid who didn't complete highschool when there was only like 3 months left

Aysce

HSC
Solid advice from everyone here.

Everyone goes through the phase of wanting to give up. But, as someone mentioned above, it really is just your emotions clouding your judgement and you wanting to escape from the stress. As soon as you're out of the stressful phase ie. the conclusion of trials, you'll be fine. Take a step back, grieve and then objectively reflect on your recent performance. What did you do right? What did you do wrong? Once you have the answers, search for your teacher and ask for more feedback. How can you improve? Can you get your teacher to mark your practice papers? There is something you are not doing as effectively as could be and actively searching for why will help improve your marks.

It is difficult but for now until the end of the trials, where you get some breathing space, you'll have to grit your teeth and churn through. You'll thank yourself later :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
You have come so far, and you have obviously shown us some talents of yours (maths).
Even if you don't make it to a top university, you have to push yourself through that last stretch of internals.

Then I recommend taking about 1 - 3 days of a break to really re-motivate yourself. I recommend you don't stay home and just lounge and watch TV or stay on your phone. Go out with friends, go exercise or maybe get a bit outrageous and go for a little camping trip or hiking trip to re-vitalise yourself.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Practical advice:

Just do whatever you can in the HSC. Keep studying etc and complete the assessments to the best of your ability, but don't just give up and shoot yourself in the foot. I understand your situation. Was in a similar situation in the HSC (couple of years back).

After the HSC, your ATAR ends up in more or less one place: the BIN. After the HSC the Atar becomes useless. Once you crack into university into any degree, admission to nearly all degrees will be dependent on university results. Thats where a lot of people find their true talents and do well in certain degrees to gain admission into their degree of choice. Alternatively, TAFE is a viable option. Many people have successfully transitoned from TAFE to University. Personally, i wouldn't recommend TAFE over UNI. Doesn't matter what your ATAR is. There is a degree out there that you can gain admission into, and one in which you succeed, do well in, and transfer to the degree of choice.

Success stories: A girl got 74 ATAR, enrolled in BA at Newcastle Uni. Did 2 years, got a GPA of 6.7 (HD average). Is now studying Medicine at UWS.
Another, got a similar ATAR, did a year of BSc, got a GPA of 6.875. Now doing Dentistry. (Can find both these people on the MSO forum)

Me, myself. A similar success story in the building. (Near completion lol). So, don't just give up everything. No matter how bad your results, that shouldn't dampen motivation to succeed. It certainly didn't for these 2 i mentioned, nor me.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Killerdoggy19

HSC
I just dropped out of school. They wouldn't let me so i'm just not going to school. As I'm going to a public school, I don't have to pay for it.

Board of Studies, screw you guys, no one even likes you and you will never be loved!

BYE BYE HSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killerdoggy19

HSC
Practical advice:

Just do whatever you can in the HSC. Keep studying etc and complete the assessments to the best of your ability, but don't just give up and shoot yourself in the foot. I understand your situation. Was in a similar situation in the HSC (couple of years back).

After the HSC, your ATAR ends up in more or less one place: the BIN. After the HSC the Atar becomes useless. Once you crack into university into any degree, admission to nearly all degrees will be dependent on university results. Thats where a lot of people find their true talents and do well in certain degrees to gain admission into their degree of choice. Alternatively, TAFE is a viable option. Many people have successfully transitoned from TAFE to University. Personally, i wouldn't recommend TAFE over UNI. Doesn't matter what your ATAR is. There is a degree out there that you can gain admission into, and one in which you succeed, do well in, and transfer to the degree of choice.

Success stories: A girl got 74 ATAR, enrolled in BA at Newcastle Uni. Did 2 years, got a GPA of 6.7 (HD average). Is now studying Medicine at UWS.
Another, got a similar ATAR, did a year of BSc, got a GPA of 6.875. Now doing Dentistry. (Can find both these people on the MSO forum)

Me, myself. A similar success story in the building. (Near completion lol). So, don't just give up everything. No matter how bad your results, that shouldn't dampen motivation to succeed. It certainly didn't for these 2 i mentioned, nor me.

Best of luck.
I would rather kill myself rather than going to TAFE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)