Should I go into College or UNSW??? (1 Viewer)

wolf22

HSC
Sorry I didn't post this under the accom. thread but I feel it will get more publicity here and I really need some opinions!!

I'm hoping to go to UNSW next year and am not from syd, however I have spent a fair bit of time there and know kensington/randwick/coogee fairly well.

I need to know if it would be better to find a place to stay off campus or if going into a college/a room in UNSW village would be the go? What are living in these places like? What other types of students live there?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Sorry I didn't post this under the accom. thread but I feel it will get more publicity here and I really need some opinions!!

I'm hoping to go to UNSW next year and am not from syd, however I have spent a fair bit of time there and know kensington/randwick/coogee fairly well.

I need to know if it would be better to find a place to stay off campus or if going into a college/a room in UNSW village would be the go? What are living in these places like? What other types of students live there?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated
This is the best place to get answers so its no problem.

UNSW village is pretty much taken up as far as I know. The only places left were like 5, 6, 7 bedroom shared apartments. They're the cheaper alternatives to the individual studios and apartments but even then, they're still pretty expensive if price is an issue to you. The other colleges like the kenso ones, new, warrane and shalom are quite selective so you'll need to do well in the interviews, get decent marks or have exceptional circumstances. It's always harder to get in at the start of each year than it is during it. I tried for new college when I was in year 12 but was unsuccessful (tbh, the rooms looked like shit and my parents own an apartment anyway so meh). College isnt pretty cheap either from what I remember.

If you live in these places, you won't have to try too hard to make friends. Most of the kids in the colleges are usually bright, country kids, international students and some local Sydney students.

Finding a place off campus is also another alternative but it depends on how much you can afford rent, what's available (as you're coming in at the start of the year, it's probably gonna be a bitch when it comes to choice), potential room mates, etc. It can be a good arrangement if your roommates aren't psychos and do their part in the house but then again, it all depends really on your situation.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
To the guy above me: you sound bitter about not getting in. Lol.

To the OP: Collegecollegecollegecollegecollegecollegecollegecollegecollege.

That's all I'm going to say.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
To the guy above me: you sound bitter about not getting in. Lol.
Nah mate, I was kinda relieved I didn't get in. I was sick of the boarding environment and the rooms were worse than my old high school's. I am also incredibly sick of living with other people and wanted a level of privacy that I didn't have the 3 -4 years before.

ashllis92

HSC
fair enough.
Ah well I'm already stoked for living in college and I don't even know if I'm in uni yet! I seriously can't wait for Feb 2010

_santa

HSC
I'd say UNSW Village, I will be moving there comes next year :D I think $225 with electricity & gas isn't too bad, sure it's more expensive than renting a room, but it seems really convenient.
Anyway, I would have rented a room long ago but my mom would let me move out iff I stay somewhere uni-administered...this is not the case but she doesn't need to know that ;) so if you think $225 is reasonable, go Village, otherwise just rent a room somewhere.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Nah mate, I was kinda relieved I didn't get in. I was sick of the boarding environment and the rooms were worse than my old high school's. I am also incredibly sick of living with other people and wanted a level of privacy that I didn't have the 3 -4 years before.
If you're concerned about the quality of rooms, you're missing the point of college.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
If you're concerned about the quality of rooms, you're missing the point of college.
Which is meeting people, making friends, having good times, etc....

I know, I know. That was the only thing that I felt sad about when I didn't get in. I lost an easy path towards making friends in a university setting.

But then I managed that anyway by getting involved and just being exposed to a lot of different people in my first year.

Now I'm sick of university, feel that I've gotten everything out of it and am just waiting to finish up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)