should I keep advanced maths?? urgent!! (1 Viewer)

fridgmagnet

HSC
I recently did prelims and got 46% in the maths advanced exam but ranked really well as only one person in my class passed and the majority of the people that passed were in ext 1. Should I drop to standard or keep advanced?? as I like the coursework and feel as though I understand the content

DarkOperator618

HSC
dude if your rank is good, then its probably better to keep it as long as u study hard for it in yr 12. if everyone else in 2u failed, i guess you're doing pre good ngl

DarkOperator618

HSC
fr tho.. my friend got like 23% in the prelim but he's surviving and doing okay in advanced yr 12. so its probs better u stay tbh

fridgmagnet

HSC
Keep - even if you do well in standard, it will be extremely hard to get a good atar due to poor scaling
Yeah, a lot of my other subjects scale badly already so maths would pull my marks up heaps if I keep it and do well lmao

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Dude I almost got the same mark in prelims, I got 44.8% which was really embarrassing to me and it was what pushed me to actually start studying (among my other terrible marks in prelims). Long story short I ended up coming 1st in adv including ppl who do extension, some of my friends dropped to standard and because they did no work they started getting bad marks there too. So what I'm saying is don't drop adv math because it is possible to catch up.

fridgmagnet

HSC
Dude I almost got the same mark in prelims, I got 44.8% which was really embarrassing to me and it was what pushed me to actually start studying (among my other terrible marks in prelims). Long story short I ended up coming 1st in adv including ppl who do extension, some of my friends dropped to standard and because they did no work they started getting bad marks there too. So what I'm saying is don't drop adv math because it is possible to catch up.
Damnn, that's so good, feeling more motivated to study for advanced now lmao

Lazzzzzyyyyyy...

HSC
Internal ranks are what's given to NESA for your final HSC score (the other half being your HSC exams marks, and everything is scaled) so if your rank is good in Adv. maths you should probably keep it. If you find yourself not enjoying it and unable to do the work for it then maybe start thinking about dropping, however, you still have lots of time to decide.

idkkdi

HSC
It is confirmed that from 2020 onwards maths advanced and standard are scaled as a single course.

" From HSC 2020, NESA will begin reporting HSC marks for Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced on a common scale. This change was introduced by NESA in part to "[disincentivise] capable students who deliberately choose easier courses for a perceived ATAR advantage". "

" The relative scaling between Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced is now only determined by the cohort's performance in the common sections of the Mathematics exam, rather than the cohort's overall performance in all other courses. Due to a range of factors, the performance of Mathematics Advanced students in the common exam sections will likely be significantly better than those studying Mathematics Standard. "

what this means for those who are considering dropping to standard is that how scaling used to work ---> assessing performance of certain scores of people in maths to other subjects is now comparing maths against maths to scale on a common scale.

i.e. the common section of both subjects will be compared and then an appropriate alignment will be deducted, these scores will then be scaled.

e.g.
say that standard maths has 14/20 common section average with a 86% exam average, and those that score 18/20 in common section in standard maths are scoring 95%.
say that advanced maths has 18/20 common section average with a 80% exam average.

advanced 80% = 95% in standard exam. perhaps not the most realistic example, but you should understand what I mean.
Most likely, the scores won't match up at described above, but instead NESA will make a distribution curve, match up the distribution curve of standard to advanced, such that standard's top possible mark will not match advanced's top possible mark.

in other words, nesa has made maths standard scaling even worse with the common scale.

TLDR; take advanced maths, standard is scuffed.

@Trebla may be able to correct what I have written/provide a better explanation.
But the takeaway is that they are scaled on a common scale, but in actuality, standard's raw mark conversion into the common scale makes its overall "scaling" worse, particularly, to the high end of scores.

Last edited:

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC

" From HSC 2020, NESA will begin reporting HSC marks for Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced on a common scale. This change was introduced by NESA in part to "[disincentivise] capable students who deliberately choose easier courses for a perceived ATAR advantage". "

" The relative scaling between Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced is now only determined by the cohort's performance in the common sections of the Mathematics exam, rather than the cohort's overall performance in all other courses. Due to a range of factors, the performance of Mathematics Advanced students in the common exam sections will likely be significantly better than those studying Mathematics Standard. "

what this means for those who are considering dropping to standard is that how scaling used to work ---> assessing performance of certain scores of people in maths to other subjects is now comparing maths against maths to scale on a common scale.

i.e. the common section of both subjects will be compared and then an appropriate alignment will be deducted, these scores will then be scaled.

e.g.
say that standard maths has 14/20 common section average with a 86% exam average, and those that score 18/20 in common section in standard maths are scoring 95%.
say that advanced maths has 18/20 common section average with a 80% exam average.

advanced 80% = 95% in standard exam. perhaps not the most realistic example, but you should understand what I mean.
Most likely, the scores won't match up at described above, but instead NESA will make a distribution curve, match up the distribution curve of standard to advanced, such that standard's top possible mark will not match advanced's top possible mark.

in other words, nesa has made maths standard scaling even worse with the common scale.

TLDR; take advanced maths, standard is scuffed.

@Trebla may be able to correct what I have written/provide a better explanation.
But the takeaway is that they are scaled on a common scale, but in actuality, standard's raw mark conversion into the common scale makes its overall "scaling" worse, particularly, to the high end of scores.
That's a great explanation, the problem with nesa making these drastic changes is that nobody knew about this beforehand. Ppl who chose standard math in Y10 like 3 years ago had no clue this would be a thing and it is really unfair. It should only be introduced for the current Y10s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)