Should I pursue law? (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
what do u mean from the area? is this solely Livo boys and girls or other schools too?
Liverpool is a low-socioeconomic area as it accommodates a lot of immigrants from diverse backgrounds and/or refugees. The % of these individuals are much higher in the Liverpool area than compared to a rich classy area (e.g. North Shore). Consequently, we end up having a lot of students who aren't concerned about their education or attaining high marks. Only the minority who come from 'good' backgrounds (family values, discipline etc...) actually succeed. Some individuals lack literacy skills and this greatly disadvantages them. In general, the standards of the region are somewhat lower compared to other areas, and I'm confident that some other schools are also affected... e.g Lurnea high school. The HSC scaling is horrible. Kids who were sitting on 90+ internally (not a lot do, probably just 1-2 per subject) end up in the mere 80's range! Enough said about the region. Anyway, the teachers are great and extremely supportive; it's just that the majority of students aren't keen about learning and making the most of out of their education. Some students that end up doing really well get scholarships and other incentives - as goes to show by caseyjbyrne's post!

Last edited:

crazy_paki123

HSC
lol i live in Prestons which is under liverpool city council too :p i dont know if you guys consider Amity/Sule College within the "area" but this year's cohort killed it with one girl getting 99.85. but then again amity and hurlstone are probs the best schools around the livo/glenfield region

crazy_paki123

HSC
anyways yeah i think you should continue striving for medicine too especially if you have a passion for it. I hear GAMSAT isnt as hard as UMAT but ofcourse it is more rigourous but hey if you have passion and hope (and faith in the almighty :) ) anything is possible

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
lol i live in Prestons which is under liverpool city council too :p i dont know if you guys consider Amity/Sule College within the "area" but this year's cohort killed it with one girl getting 99.85. but then again amity and hurlstone are probs the best schools around the livo/glenfield region
Aren't they either selective or private schools?
Anyway, the area isn't as bad as it may sound. If you try hard enough, you'll get somewhere!
I do hope that I'll get into med bro *god willingly* :)

Last edited:

crazy_paki123

HSC
yeah youre right. Although i here John Ed is a good public but thats more towards Horningsea Park/Carnes hill.
And no worries bro just never give up hope aye

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Would it be considered a bad decision if I chose to stay and continue with IT/Business at UTS?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
No... You'd just be on another path instead of law. Jobs are easier to get. Well that's what I think.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Aren't they either selective or private schools?
Anyway, the area isn't as bad as it may sound. If you try hard enough, you'll get somewhere!
I do hope that I'll get into med bro *god willingly* :)
I went to GSCC at hoxton park (catholic) and we were ranked 121 this yr. We had about 20 people with a 90 + atar.

Your location doesn't determine your success in the hsc.

yeah youre right. Although i here John Ed is a good public but thats more towards Horningsea Park/Carnes hill.
And no worries bro just never give up hope aye
Not really lol.

tutorhunt

HSC
N/A
The entry-level law market is pretty saturated at the moment, just what I've heard from my relative, who is a barrister, and his co-workers.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
No... You'd just be on another path instead of law. Jobs are easier to get. Well that's what I think.
Wait, so you think that jobs are easier to get in IT/Business?

I went to GSCC at hoxton park (catholic) and we were ranked 121 this yr. We had about 20 people with a 90 + atar.
Your location doesn't determine your success in the hsc.
Not really lol.
I somewhat disagree; the demographic population of an area slightly influences the cohort (year group), and depending on how well the cohort performs; does alter individual performances. There's a reason why schools in the city always do well! You probably had a decent cohort last year. Just to exemplify, out of the 18 students that sat the Biology HSC paper in 2012 (Livo boys); only about 4 individuals managed to complete the entire paper (including myself :p not being chauvinistic). I would say that ~ 80% left the exam hall after just attempting the multiple choice. Of course you'll get somewhere if you try hard enough, but probably won't achieve to your full potential.

The entry-level law market is pretty saturated at the moment, just what I've heard from my relative, who is a barrister, and his co-workers.
I think you're right! The law market does seem saturated. But shouldn't be a problem if I'm using it to get into one of top corporate positions/IB(I wish lol)/corporate attorney!!

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I somewhat disagree; the demographic population of an area slightly influences the cohort (year group), and depending on how well the cohort performs; does alter individual performances. There's a reason why schools in the city always do well! You probably had a decent cohort last year. Just to exemplify, out of the 18 students that sat the Biology HSC paper in 2012 (Livo boys); only about 4 individuals managed to complete the entire paper (including myself :p not being chauvinistic). I would say that ~ 80% left the exam hall after just attempting the multiple choice. Of course you'll get somewhere if you try hard enough, but probably won't achieve to your full potential.
Well yeah, i'm not saying it doesn't play a role at all. What i meant was that it doesn't stop a student being an outlier and achieving great marks.

A student who is hard working and has the potential to get a 90 + atar will do so at any school, regardless of location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)