Should i read the bible? (2 Viewers)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
Theoretically yes, but it's been altered so many times over the centuries to suit the beliefs of men that the true meanings and principles once contained within the covers of this pious book have been lost, so if it's principles and cool stories that you seek, try the Book of Mormon :)

rific

HSC
lol, nah, if you really want to read about principles, step away from 'Book ofs', read Machiavelli's The Prince, as for cool stories, I can't believe anyone can go past the Dr. (Suess that is).

As for the changes through history, a christian-religious perspective would suggest that these adaptations were inspired by on high to help humanity understand it better - I don't promote that theory, but it is a nice convenient response and I had a late night...

Pierotte

HSC
hahaha read it read it!!! READ IT READ IT!!!

Not to take it seriously but to see all the crazy stories where it contradicts its self

I vaguely recall some story about a man giving away his dauter as a temporary sex slave cuz god told him to.... it was his daughter or an animal, and having sex with animals is a sin so he sent out is virginal daughter... hehehe ill have to look it up and get the story straight...

anyway there is some REALLY funny shit if you look for it!!

But if u have reading glasses dont wear them,... you will go the hell - the bible says so.

READ IT READ IT READ IT

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Ok listen....LET ME TELL YOU WHAT TO READ.

Read The Quran.....you will not regret it. I promise

Khypheneight

HSC
zahid said:
Ok listen....LET ME TELL YOU WHAT TO READ.

Read The Quran.....you will not regret it. I promise
I agree, it will change your life. You can get an english translation and it isn't very long... you really should read it...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
my friend got the name for his album from the bible...
its preety cool and meaningful if you know the guy, hes in a hardcore group

i forget the exact bible reference but its something like

23:11 Is he with you in the dark

the first album is called, let the blind dream in colour...

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
The Quran is about 1/5 the size of the Bible and much more enlightening. Ive read both many times so id know. Free of any contradictions, embracing and encouraging science and the pursuit of knowledge, it really will leave you feeling refreshed and amazed. It guides every aspect of your life and is full of descriptions of scientifc phenomena which have only been discovered in the last century (it wasrevealed over 1400 years ago). It's extremely relevant to daily life and sets the record straight about God and his attributes. Unlike the Bible, it came from a singular source and so is much more easy to follow. So anyone contemplating reading the Bible, go ahead and do that......but make sure you also read the Quran and just see the difference!!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
All the early Chrisitans had to do is staple what Mohammed said to the end of the Bible. Centuries of brutish bloodshed and boring banter would've been avoided.

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
SabtheLab said:
The Quran is about 1/5 the size of the Bible and much more enlightening. Ive read both many times so id know. Free of any contradictions, embracing and encouraging science and the pursuit of knowledge, it really will leave you feeling refreshed and amazed. It guides every aspect of your life and is full of descriptions of scientifc phenomena which have only been discovered in the last century (it wasrevealed over 1400 years ago). It's extremely relevant to daily life and sets the record straight about God and his attributes. Unlike the Bible, it came from a singular source and so is much more easy to follow. So anyone contemplating reading the Bible, go ahead and do that......but make sure you also read the Quran and just see the difference!!
One could debate the fact that mohammed was existent approx. 600 years after Christ was on the earth, so, what's to say that mohammed didn't take principles from the teachings of Christ, i mean, they were around the same area (middle east) and adapt them to form the Quran?

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Dr_Gorgeous said:
One could debate the fact that mohammed was existent approx. 600 years after Christ was on the earth, so, what's to say that mohammed didn't take principles from the teachings of Christ, i mean, they were around the same area (middle east) and adapt them to form the Quran?
It wouldnt matter, Islam, Christianity and Jews all have the same God, meaning they can all be traced back to the same beginings, through the person Abraham.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
dr gorgweous, one can take your approach. but by the same token, who's to say that Jesus didnt plagiarise from the Old Testament? this line is actually alot more valid than ur theory that the Quran was plagiarised. for starters, Jesus lived in the thick of Judaism and so was more accustomed to it. Muhammad on the other hand lived in an Arabia where idolatary and paganism was rampant and Christians and Jews far and few between. Jesus didnt introduce any laws, and in his own words said that his followers are to follow the Ten Commandments. Muhammad introduced a complete way of life, a guide for every single tiny aspect of ones life which if implemented, would orchestrate a perfect society (if you dont believe me, research it).
Of course, i dont believe this as i believe Jesus was a true prophet of God.

But the most important proof of Muhammads prophecy and indeed greatest miracle is the Quran itself. Muhammad was completely illiterate and yet through him came the greatest piece of Arabic literature ever known to man. It's a set text for study in Arabic literature at universities and no single person or group of linguists or lexicologists, have been able to imitate its style, prose or anything else of it.Arab Christian and Jewish linguists all concurr that it's impossible to imitate the Quran(once again if you dont believe me, research it). Please explain to me how an illiterate man who was unable to even write his name, was able to give to the world the greatest Arabic literature masterpiece?

Furthermore, the Quran contains detailed explanations of scientific phenomena which have only been discovered within the last century-astronomical, mathematics, chemistry, geology, meterology, physics, embryology and many other sciences. Muhammad had absolutely no scientific training nor any schooling for that matter.

It prophesised a host of events and outcomes of wars which hadnt yet come to pass.

Back to it's literary superiority, Arab scholars have noticed that every word used in the Quran could not have been better represented by any other word to such a degree that if just one word were slightly changed, even in it's accent, it would change the meaning of the whole verse.

Any given verse in the Quran contains several deeper meanings which are often discovered with the passing of time and knowledge, allowing it to reveal itself afresh all the time. For example, some so called "scientific verse" were understood at one level before the scientific concepts were discovered. Then when a scioentific fact was discovered, scholars were able to discover the mysteries of certain scientific verses they hadnt yet understood.
Also when Islamic scholars are attempting to derive a law pertaining to a new situation, they dive into the Quran and always emerge with the answer to a modern legal issue.

In fact i could go on and on and on, but ill let you absorb this first. My advice is, read the Quran and believe me you wont be disappointed!

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
dr gorgeous you do that. andonce uve read it, make sure you read "the complete idiots guide to understanding Islam". it'll be a nice and rounded trip!

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
just another note for those contemplating reading the Quran. i understand most of you will have preconceived ideas and horrible misconceptions stemming from the Crusades(although you probably dont realise it). You must approach it with an open mind and an open heart as though youve never ever heard of this faith before and want to learn about it from scratch. this is extremely important because if you approach it burdened by all your misconceptions and prejudices you basically wont get anything out of it, and you'll never be able to honestly say that u actually HAVE read the Quran.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think you'll find that Christ did in fact reveal much that differed, nay, contrasted with the Old Testament. Kind of why they got so mad with him... He laid down principles of compassion and love that were to govern much western thinking for the next 2000 years.
'Sabthelab', you sweep past the crucial importance of this man to fulfill your self-serving, narrow minded, half baked construction of the world.
This is all pointless hearsay.

rific

HSC
Iron woman said:
This is all pointless hearsay.
Well said.

You can read the 'truth' of anything from any well researched perspective and still be wrong (no, I am not saying anyone here is wrong - I don't know all the facts).

Sabthelab, I think you raise some great, or at the very least interesting, points, and I agree with you that people should read the Quran before taking any critical position on it, but I make that point for most discussions, but I also think that it is very possible that people can swing too far from those 'horrible misconceptions' so that they promote other 'horrible misconceptions' stemming from existing counter-notions - again, I'm not saying your points aren't valid, I just say that you can't shrug off people's perceptions simply to replace them with your own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)