• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I repeat the HSC or do a Diploma? (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
Basically my ranks are in the craps, I fooled around this year, I really need to just grow up! So I'm pretty much looking at a 'mystery mark' ATAR.

Obviously an ATAR of below 30 is about as useful as not having an ATAR at all.

Now before I say anything else don't get me wrong. I'm not going to let what happened this year ever happen again. I take full responsibility for my own failure, I've realised where I've gone wrong, and I now have the motivation to never let this happen again. What I'm trying to say is; if I were to repeat the HSC next year, I promise that it will not be a re-run of what I did with the HSC this year, I will strive to do well I know I can (believe it or not I actually scored good marks in my junior years).

And having said that I want to know your opinion. Would me repeating the HSC be my best option, or would a diploma at TAFE with a transfer to Uni as a goal be better??

Thanks for your time:)

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Defiantly go the TAFE route. Don't waste your time repeating high school.

Rohanco

HSC
Defiantly go the TAFE route. Don't waste your time repeating high school.
Why do you think it would be a waste of time? Alot of people have said this to me, but I don't see how it would be if I were to greatly improve my ATAR.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Well why do you think it wouldn't be a waste of time? What is an improved atar going to offer you?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Wait. Your HSC is not even till next year...

Rohanco

HSC
Yes, I'm currently doing the HSC at the moment but I put my HSC date as 2013 because I'm pretty certain I will be doing it again in 2013. Tbh I think that I could get a decent ATAR if I did the HSC again (I'd be doing it at TAFE by the way), I think that a greatly improved ATAR would give me a lot more opportunities to choose from, rather than picking a diploma which would give me at the very most 2 or 3 courses to transfer into at a lower ranked Uni

Memento-mori

HSC
Do not ever, ever, ever repeat the HSC. Even if you have figured out all your mistakes and the tricks of the board of studies, that does not mean that your marks will magically improve next year.

Go to TAFE, sit a STAT if you can, do one of those diploma of languages. Try your hardest in the external.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes, I'm currently doing the HSC at the moment but I put my HSC date as 2013 because I'm pretty certain I will be doing it again in 2013. Tbh I think that I could get a decent ATAR if I did the HSC again (I'd be doing it at TAFE by the way), I think that a greatly improved ATAR would give me a lot more opportunities to choose from, rather than picking a diploma which would give me at the very most 2 or 3 courses to transfer into at a lower ranked Uni
You don't have to go to university.

Rohanco

HSC
Do not ever, ever, ever repeat the HSC. Even if you have figured out all your mistakes and the tricks of the board of studies, that does not mean that your marks will magically improve next year.

Go to TAFE, sit a STAT if you can, do one of those diploma of languages. Try your hardest in the external.
Thanks for your reply :),

I'm not saying that my marks will magically improve, I know I can get a good ATAR if I put the effort in, I know it sounds dodgy to, but I know I can do it.

Also where can a STAT get me, or what can I do with a diploma in a language? And I'm definitely not cut out to be a trady

Rohanco

HSC
You don't have to go to university.
I know, Of coarse Uni isn't always the best option. I'm not forcing myself to do anything I don't want, I really want to get into Uni, I've always looked forward to the time I would get into Uni.

chocorett0

HSC
N/A
Hey

Look.

even I've messed up the whole year! My ranks are really effing shitty. My only hope is the HSC, I'm trying to make things right now by studying my butt off! Don't loose hope you still have 50% left and theres subject scaling as well.. Give it your all now. Even if you don't get the desired atar you can always get into a diploma or an Arts degree and switch. Just give it your all now, cos there is practically no point in repeating the HSC unless there a satisfying reason.

Hope that helps!! :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
do the diploma

if you repeat, there's no guaranteeing that you will get the atar you want. You might get a similar attitude that you had this year purely because you've learnt everything already and you will probably get bored

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
how could you possibly write defiantly instead of definitely?!

Ugh.
He's saying that the person in question should go to TAFE in a defiant, and rebellious manner - such that he scoffs at high school.

clearly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)