Should I repeat year 12? (2 Viewers)

Doomah

HSC
HSC+UMAT+interview.... is about 100000x's harder than Undergraduate degree+ GAMSAT + interview

21 is too young for a person to become a doctor anyway. imo

end of say if you take the second route and become a doctor at 24, you'll still work for 40 years and have acheived all your goals.

ashllis92

HSC
HSC+UMAT+interview.... is about 100000x's harder than Undergraduate degree+ GAMSAT + interview

21 is too young for a person to become a doctor anyway. imo

end of say if you take the second route and become a doctor at 24, you'll still work for 40 years and have acheived all your goals.
undergrad degree is 6 years so
18 (my current age) + 6 = 24

bachelor + gamsat + graduate entry
18 + 3(length of bachelor degree) + 4(length of graduate entry deree) = 25

you clearly have no idea what you're talking about

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
There's more than one way to get into medicine. To do the HSC again, hoping that you'd get high enough for an interview and a good UMAT score seems to be a risky decision with the complacency that can set in.

It's going to be even worse if you tried a second time and didn't make med. My advice- do your undergraduate degree for science. Chances are, you might discover yourself having a whole new passion for something outside med.

g4geexa

HSC
To the OP, do not listen to anyone who has not done the HSC (Ie. 2010'ers and above). They do not know what they are talking about (and you will understand 2010er's once you are in the middle of the HSC how hard it is to keep up, and the lack of self confidence you will experience)

Every single teacher I have asked about this matter has recommended me to do a course which requires a lower atar, and then transfer, because you actually gain a year of experience and grades at uni as opposed gaining nothing after another year of hard work.

Like what most people have said, do a degree and transfer or do post-graduate medicine. Either way, you won't get a job with only an MBBS, you would also need another degree of some sort and more importantly : work experience.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's pretty low to blame your school on your ATAR imo. If you desperately want to do med, best route is post-grad.

jet

Banned
HSC
UNSW is NOT better than any other uni for Med. it's just perceived that way. A better choice would be to do BSc at USyd, sit a GAMSAT, get into USyd Med and finish at the same time as if you repeated then made it into UNSW however 3 credible degrees plus a fuckton of connections. Jetblack2007 is doing this as well (he didn't make combined med). It makes a lot more sense than pussyfooting around with the repeating year 12, as in the end, you're going to finish your med at the same time (UNSW + repeat = 1+6 = 7 years, USyd Sc + Med = 3+4=7 years). In addtion, those 3 Science years make you used to uni and ready to do med, whereas in the 99.8 = average world of UNSW med you might find it a little too cutthroat. Go to USyd, do a BSc, sit your GAMSAT, have a killer GPA, and do postgrad med. After your BSc nobody is going to give a shit that you got 88.
This is your best option.

So what? It's a year extra, but no one can deny that USyd has a reputation. We can always say that "your employer doesn't care" etc etc but really, there will be some sort of pull by it (even if it's miniscule), as much as we would like to ignore it.

This comes from spending days in hospitals following interns around.

princessashe

HSC
Ignoring the squalid state of your sentence (English is not your first language?), what you assert is in fact incorrect, there is a direct correlation, nay, casual relationship, between intellegence (ATAR is one big IQ test) and the ability to make rapid, critical and creative decisions utilizing a finite set of information and resources.
An IQ Test? Are you serious? I take it you didn't a history or any subject where content matters. You can be as clever as you like but if you don't put in enough effort (as this person self admittedly didn't) to know the content it is nearly impossible to score well. You can not do well on something you haven't learnt. In saying this I wouldn't like a lazy doctor either however if someone is willing to put the time into learning the content to successfully pass the HSC and then complete a degree in medicine they are clearly not lazy and just had an off year that was worsened by teachers misleading them.

finishedhsc2009

HSC
do NOT repeat, you just will not be as pumped

you will waste a year and there is no guarantee you will get 99.95 which is what you need for undergrad med

just do a b science degree or something else

Executive

HSC
N/A
Ignoring the squalid state of your sentence (English is not your first language?), what you assert is in fact incorrect, there is a direct correlation, nay, casual relationship, between intellegence (ATAR is one big IQ test) and the ability to make rapid, critical and creative decisions utilizing a finite set of information and resources.
no.

Ben1220

HSC
Ooops...

I bolded the bit that ruined your otherwise sound argument.

KD

HSC
N/A
Note that doing the HSC again does not negate what you have already done. They look at both.

finishedhsc2009

HSC
UNSW is NOT better than any other uni for Med. it's just perceived that way. A better choice would be to do BSc at USyd, sit a GAMSAT, get into USyd Med and finish at the same time as if you repeated then made it into UNSW however 3 credible degrees plus a fuckton of connections. Jetblack2007 is doing this as well (he didn't make combined med). It makes a lot more sense than pussyfooting around with the repeating year 12, as in the end, you're going to finish your med at the same time (UNSW + repeat = 1+6 = 7 years, USyd Sc + Med = 3+4=7 years). In addtion, those 3 Science years make you used to uni and ready to do med, whereas in the 99.8 = average world of UNSW med you might find it a little too cutthroat. Go to USyd, do a BSc, sit your GAMSAT, have a killer GPA, and do postgrad med. After your BSc nobody is going to give a shit that you got 88.
Spot on

mr_robato

HSC
I went to an EXTREMELY shit school this year (think ranked lower than 600) and all my teachers told me how i was going to go really well in the HSC blah blah blah. I only went well compared to other years and ended up getting 88.15 which is considerably lower than what my teachers had led me to expect :( I had my sights set on medicine at UNSW and I know this is impossible with my ATAR even for rural entry (which I'm eligible for). I also can't transfer after a year of a BSc or something similar because they calculate your entry score 50:50 ATAR:GPA.
I know I certainly didn't work anywhere near enough and now I'm considering repeating my HSC at my old school which is considerably better than the one I just graduated from (about 150ish). Other than that I could do med at a postgrad level at another uni but I do REALLY want to study at UNSW so I'm in a bit of a predicament because I don't really want to go back to school if I can help.

I did pathways. I still did relatively shit, had some family problems.

I'll say yes, it's been a very rewarding experience for me. I did some serious growing up. Much needed I feel.

DO what you feel right.

hotdimsim

HSC
For christs sake do not go back to school. The reality is that you didnt get into the course you wanted. It is a hard reality and one i had to face as well. The thing is, year 12 doesnt tell you where you go, just how long it takes to get there.

After skimming throught the unsw website, its seems pretty apparent that you can transfer into med. Furthermore, you can do med sci at unsw and hope to get in.

The take home message is its better to start uni and then try and get into med. If you do HSC and fail again, you waste a year. You can do med sci or just sci, and try and transfer into both unsw and any other uni.

I also think you need to expand your horizons to other than unsw. Why do you want to study there? (if you say prestige then its not the reason)

HSC
I went to an EXTREMELY shit school this year (think ranked lower than 600) and all my teachers told me how i was going to go really well in the HSC blah blah blah. I only went well compared to other years and ended up getting 88.15 which is considerably lower than what my teachers had led me to expect :( I had my sights set on medicine at UNSW and I know this is impossible with my ATAR even for rural entry (which I'm eligible for). I also can't transfer after a year of a BSc or something similar because they calculate your entry score 50:50 ATAR:GPA.
I know I certainly didn't work anywhere near enough and now I'm considering repeating my HSC at my old school which is considerably better than the one I just graduated from (about 150ish). Other than that I could do med at a postgrad level at another uni but I do REALLY want to study at UNSW so I'm in a bit of a predicament because I don't really want to go back to school if I can help.
don't do it. Never go back to highschool. Go to uni and do science or something you'll do well in. then go for post grad med.

If your worried about GPA --> everyone's GPA or WAM is significantly lower than 98.5 or watever it is. So you'll be competitive.

the main reason is social suicide; because life does go on. Also --> you want to be around like minded students. The best would be to do med sci obv because everyone wants to do med. But you can stilll meet people doing med sci though. Just don't go back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)