Should I review the preliminary stuff for a 97+ atar? Year 11 maths? HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

nailafun

HSC
I do english advanced, chem, bio, physics, maths 2u and religion 2u.......I honestly did NOT study for the sciences in year 11.....so if I study everything for year 12, would i be good for my hsc? or do i need prelim stuff to back me up? Especially in the sciences.

How much of maths prelim do i need to be SOLID at? my rank was 42/200 last year. HELP!!!!!!! :(

Aysce

HSC
I do english advanced, chem, bio, physics, maths 2u and religion 2u.......I honestly did NOT study for the sciences in year 11.....so if I study everything for year 12, would i be good for my hsc? or do i need prelim stuff to back me up? Especially in the sciences.

How much of maths prelim do i need to be SOLID at? my rank was 42/200 last year. HELP!!!!!!! :(
For maths prelim, it is able to be tested in the HSC and most of it is built upon in the HSC course. I definitely think you should revise and solidify year 11 mathematics.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For maths prelim, it is able to be tested in the HSC and most of it is built upon in the HSC course. I definitely think you should revise and solidify year 11 mathematics.
^ that.

Plus, year 11 stuff is sometimes the building block for some year 12 stuff - so if you're not 100% on your year 11 stuff, you might find yourself lost.

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
Prelim in 2unit is what catches alot of people out. They pick something people havent studied in a while and forget how to do. Constantly revise it!

matsing

HSC

I did exactly same subjects as you except instead of religoin 2u i did legal. for bio and english prelim is absolutely unnecessary. if religion 2u is anything like legal in structure (which i suspect it is) you dont need any prelim for it either. physics you can get a very good score with little memory of year 11. i do recommend you go over the prelim chem stuff, i think that is important and little things come up here and there quite often - download some prelim chem notes from here and just go over them. HOWEVER FOR MATHS, IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL YOU KNOW EVERY SINGLE THING FROM YEAR 11. ALMOST 50% OF THE MAJOR TESTS ARE PRELIM MATERIAL! YOU MUST MUST KNOW THE PRELIM CONTENT IF YOU WANT EVEN A DECENT SCORE/ RANK.

Last edited:

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
wth... Ive got a different take on this. I wouldn't suggest going hard out on ALL of year 11, but the topics which have a strong presence in year 12 like trig, calculus. I was ranked middle of my class for year 11 2u & 3u (didn't bother studying jack all) and finished 2nd in both mx1 & mx2

Bobbo1

HSC
Yes, there's no "year 11 and 12" for maths. Everything will be built upon so it's extremely important!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)