Should I stay in MATH1151/Actuarial? (1 Viewer)

snake1224

HSC
Hello everyone~ I'm a first year B commerce student.

I have enrolled for the MATH1151 course as I have always been interested in doing Actuarial studies in uni. However I only did EXT 1 maths in HSC and not EXT 2 (mainly because too many people did EXT 2 in my school...).

While the School of Mathematics website states that one of the assumed knowledge for this course is "the combined mark of Maths 2U + 3U is at least 140" - which my HSC results meets this requirement, right now I am extremely concern about if this course will require a lot of knowledge from the HSC Ext 2 course.

So to everyone who is familiar with this course, I have few questions that I'm really worry about:

1. Are there going to be a lot of theories require us to have completed the HSC Ext 2 course first? If not "a lot", even just a little, would it be hard to catch up? Will I have any chance of even surviving this course?
  2. If I work really really hard, would I still be able to complete this course with good results even if I did not do the Ext 2 course? (If I spend a lot of time in this would I have a chance of getting any good results at all even only with my EXT 1 knowledge?)
  3. Would there be tests that involve contents from the Ext 2 course?
  4. Also, is it hard to balance between the time spent on this course and other courses?
  5. Lastly - anyone is in or was in the same situation as me? Haha I just kinda hoping to hear from some successful (or failure..) case of doing this course without doign EXT 2 before so I know what I should do next.
I'm really looking forward to any reply soon.

Wilson

p.s. I kinda regret buying the prescribed text book so early haha

snake1224

HSC
Just one more question (sorry for asking too much at the same time haha)

If I do screw up this course in the end and decide not to do Actuarial anymore - would I still be able to do courses that require QMA and QMB since I replaced them with MATH1151?

schmeichung

HSC
Some topics such as complex numbers and integration (by parts) will be taught again, so you might be disadvantaged in a sense that most of your classmates have already done that before, but NO, you will still be able to get very good result if you study very hard (as you mentioned).

I know some people who did very good in Math Ext1 & 2 but failed very hard in Actuarial, while some only did Ext1 but got very good results.

Krustallosice

HSC
I only did Ext 1 and have not failed in math1151/1251...

(I did not even meet the requirements of 2U + 3U = 140)

Like the person above said, if you study really hard you can still get really good results. (and I'm not saying I got very good results from not doing 4U...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)