Should i stick to 12 units or 10 units? (1 Viewer)

xazxncutiex

HSC
So im really scared of which subject to drop and which to choose. Right now im thinking of dropping hospitality however i did really good in hospitality. But because i am doing 12 units plus having TWO majors for year 12 i dont think i will be able to cope. the bad thing about hospitality is the work placement thingy. Its one week off school which mean missing out one week of school work and then have to catch up etc.
Also, my maths grade is falling and i really want to drop it now seeing as how i cant seem to understand the concept and excersice. we are currently doing calculus and geometrical applications of derivative. I'm having major trouble with it and even though i kinda get it i am still very confused.
So the thing is should i move down to general and get really high mark for that? Should i keep hospitalty and all my 12 units course incase i do really bad in maths and can get my marks from hospitalty for my hsc?
Any advice would be very helpful

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
If you were to drop to general, would you continue with the 12 units?

HSC
Keep 12 units. If you find maths too hard you can always drop back to general and it gives you a back up subject just in case any one of your subjects don't go as well as you expect. You can always drop something later if its that tough.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
watatank said:
Keep 12 units. If you find maths too hard you can always drop back to general and it gives you a back up subject just in case any one of your subjects don't go as well as you expect. You can always drop something later if its that tough.
From what I know, you can't drop to general after term 4. :)

Unless the OP decides to drop math altogether.

xazxncutiex

HSC
right now we have to keep 12 units until next year where after a week or so we can drop the subject. if i was to drop to general and do 10 units will this affect the scaling or the hsc?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
xazxncutiex said:
really? cant drop to general? damn. must make quick decision
Well, if your school says you can drop in term 1 of next year, you can hold on to it for a while but I've been told several times that Board of Studies does not allow it.

NO, if you were to drop to general and do 10 units, your uai wouldnt be affected unless you did crap in one or more of your subjects.

Gen Math will NOT scale you down, if you achieve marks above 85. :)

Edit: And remember that although general math is simple, it's still time consuming.

HSC
tanjin said:
From what I know, you can't drop to general after term 4. :)

Unless the OP decides to drop math altogether.
Depends on the school. Because there were people dropping to general after our maths half yearlies halfway through term 1, year 12. Pretty much the whole bottom class did...So you might have to ask your maths head teacher about your options. I suggest you do this asap. Well not you, but the OP :p

right now we have to keep 12 units until next year where after a week or so we can drop the subject. if i was to drop to general and do 10 units will this affect the scaling or the hsc?
if you do ten units everything you do will contribute to the uai. if you have 12 and stuff up a subject then it doesn't have to count :). try not to think about scaling too much, if you go well in everything scaling has no effect on you.

Last edited:

melissa-4790

HSC
im having the same trouble im going not so well in maths and really well in exploring early childhood but that course dont go towards UAI but im thinking about doing something in childcare after school. Should i drop child studies or not cos i can concentrate on maths more without it. so many decisions!

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Well in my opinion .. Swap to General Maths (you will find it a lot easier) .. and also keep hospitality so you have 2 units spare (in case you bomb out in one exam) but organise with your Hospitality teacher if you can do your work placement during the holidays! This is what I did and everything after that was a lot easier!

Good luck :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
watatank said:
Depends on the school. Because there were people dropping to general after our maths half yearlies halfway through term 1, year 12. Pretty much the whole bottom class did...So you might have to ask your maths head teacher about your options. I suggest you do this asap. Well not you, but the OP
Really? I hate it when teachers give me the wrong info. :(

But but bahahaha, I'm finished!
:eek:

davidbarnes said:
What majors?
The OP is probably doing subjects, which require major works to be handed in e.g. EE2 & Ext Hist.

Last edited:

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
If you're thinking of dropping to General, don't put it off too long.

Sure it's easier, but it's also different and you will still need to learn it.

And what about doing your work placement during school holidays? That's what I've done before and am doing again for next year.

xazxncutiex

HSC
yup! doing two majors for year 12, Art and Textiles.
hmm... does anyone know of a good tutor place for maths in livo-fairfield area?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
xazxncutiex said:
yup! doing two majors for year 12, Art and Textiles.
hmm... does anyone know of a good tutor place for maths in livo-fairfield area?
Imo, it's better if you get a private tutor.

Last edited:

shortcut

HSC
i dropped to general at the beginning of yr.11 and it was fantastic. but then i stopped working and it's not so easy anymore :p but if you keep up the work you'll be sweet. also dropped chem which was THE best decision of my life. ten units is great because you can really make an effort in those ten (minus general maths, lol) instead of struggling with one and neglecting the others.
good luck!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Only do 10 units if you know that you will be able to do well in each subject. Stuff up one subject from your 10 units and it wont work out too well.

I say 11 units is the best option to go by. :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ticky2002 said:
Does anyone know if that's allowed: Your school stopping you from dropping a subject, even though the B.O.S. allows you to??
If chemistry is your 12th unit, your school can't stop you from dropping it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
tanjin said:
Only do 10 units if you know that you will be able to do well in each subject. Stuff up one subject from your 10 units and it wont work out too well.

I say 11 units is the best option to go by. :)
QFT.
Maths Ext. 1 is my experimental fail subject.

ticky2002 said:
I was thinking of changing to general maths - I can understand 2U and stuff, I'm just not motivated enough to do the rest.!!

You got to drop Chemistry?? I wish I could - our school made this silly rule that no one is allowed to drop a subject because in previous years people had, and mucked around in their free periods caused by this. It's rubbish!! I'm no good at the subject anyway.

Does anyone know if that's allowed: Your school stopping you from dropping a subject, even though the B.O.S. allows you to??
What's wrong with differential and integral calculus?
If you want to avoid financial mathematics, the Maths extension courses would be your answer.

Last edited:

xazxncutiex

HSC
well nothing is wrong with the topic i am doing. its just maybe the concept is hard to grasp and maybe i am not motivated to do maths. However i did purchase some study guides in calculus so i hope that would help. I guess i need to concentrate more in maths and doing the set tasks.
well our school is having test in week 9 friday so lets see how that goes. i guess if i did really bad in that teacher will move me down. I have the head teacher as my maths teacher so i guess i can talk to him and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)