Should i study for my 12th unit? (1 Viewer)

Iren3

HSC
Hi, I have a question regarding whether or not I should continue my efforts into my 12th 'backup' unit.
I currently study:
MODERN, CHEM, BIO, ENG, ENG X1, ENG X2, MATH ADV
I am great at all my subjects apart from math, I regret not choosing general but that's not possible now so I want to know what I should do? I am still alright in it though, sitting at around 60% whilst other subjects are in high 80s and 90s range. I want to know whether or not i should continue putting effort into it or focus on my 10 units and bring them up? My school is also strict on dropping and they don't allow you to drop after a term of year 12.

aanthnnyyy

HSC
yes. I do 13 units and I study for every subject. However as you say Maths is weak I would spend more time on it - but don't totally disregard the remaining subjects. BUT if you cannot handle that you can drop maths (probably not an option) so I consider prioritizing certain subjects (I.e. To do list or if it suits you make a timetable)

Oh and yes. Do not persist a subject if you have no positive attitude towards it. Many people choose subjects to 'maximize' their atar, but i believe people should choose subjects that they enjoy so studying for it isn't a burden.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
"My school is also strict on dropping and they don't allow you to drop after a term of year 12. "
If you can't drop it then don't.

It might be useful to drop it, depending on your grades in your other subjects. If it is already your worst subject and is your backup, then is there really any point to keeping it (apart from sentimental attachment)?!?

What I am trying to say, is that if there is no possibility of that subject counting towards ATAR, and you have no desire to continue the subject, then no point keeping it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I did 12 units and I put minimal attention into the 2 units that I did not enjoy or did not want to study for.

I did the bare minimum to get through those 2 units and it wasn't a surprise that they were my lowest marks.

If you are very confident that you are going to do well in your other 10 units, and you think there won't be a chance that something may happen in any of the other 10 units that might decrease your marks, then you could really just do the bare minimum in those 2 units or drop the 2 units and you should be fine. It is all subjective to how you feel about everything else though.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
To be honest, if you're confident with your other 10 units you may as well drop it unless it is necessary for your university course or unless you personally find that you need it (for some reason). 12 units is superfluous in my opinion if you're excelling in your other subjects - it's just time wasted attending classes for a subject you probably won't end up trying in and hence it probably won't count towards your ATAR. And your school legitimately cannot stop you from dropping a subject; you are entitled to drop a subject up until just before HSC examinations start. But if you decide to keep it, try and invest some time into it to see if you can bring up your mark - if you find in doing so (i.e. bringing up your mark) you are compromising your marks in your other subjects (which you are doing well in based on the information you've provided) I'd devote minimal attention to it and just do as AD said and kind of 'float' through the HSC Mathematics course.

At the end of the day, though, it's all up to you :p

Best of luck :)

hecticated

HSC
I did 12 units for my HSC and I do regret it alot. I definitely did not need that "safety net". Honestly I think it is better to have 10 units so you have more time to focus on the others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)