Should I swap chem for another subject because of bad teacher? (1 Viewer)

somerandomperson

HSC
In kind of a predicament where my teacher is horrible, he rambles on too much and cannot explain separation techniques (first topic) properly, kind of just names it and dosen't explain the process.
I'm unsure.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What are you plans after school? Uni? What type of degree?
Is it a assumed knowledge/recommended knowledge for your degree?
What subject are you planning to swap into?
How does your school perform in the subject?
Are you guaranteed to get a better teacher?

somerandomperson

HSC
Well, I plan to do engineering at UTS after school, and yes Chemistry is 'recommended knowledge'.
As for subjects, I might plan to swap to the new Investigating Science, a few friends have recommended it to me since they are doing and it sounds helpful, the teacher is excellent as well.
In terms of last year's HSC, there was only 2 band 6's so that's kind of demoralising.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
If your teacher sucks, just grab a textbook and learn it yourself lol.

sida1049

HSC
If your teacher sucks, just grab a textbook and learn it yourself lol.
This.

OP, you should see your current situation as practice. Once you get to uni, you might find that the teaching styles (or, god forbid, the competence) of your lecturers and tutors to be insufficient for your learning. In that case, often you have no choice but to stick with the course in order to fulfill the requirements of your degree/major, and so you have to learn everything yourself through notes, textbooks and online. Since the HSC is much easier than uni and with way more resources available online and offline, you should definitely put in the effort yourself.

And it's definitely possible to do amazingly well in a subject from self-studying only. The dux of my HSC cohort essentially self-studied the entire extension 2 maths course with the textbook our class uses (with no external tutoring), and performed fantastically.

Also, like you mentioned, chemistry is good to know for your uni course in the future, and that alone is probably enough of an argument for most people to stick with your class.

somerandomperson

HSC
This.

OP, you should see your current situation as practice. Once you get to uni, you might find that the teaching styles (or, god forbid, the competence) of your lecturers and tutors to be insufficient for your learning. In that case, often you have no choice but to stick with the course in order to fulfill the requirements of your degree/major, and so you have to learn everything yourself through notes, textbooks and online. Since the HSC is much easier than uni and with way more resources available online and offline, you should definitely put in the effort yourself.

And it's definitely possible to do amazingly well in a subject from self-studying only. The dux of my HSC cohort essentially self-studied the entire extension 2 maths course with the textbook our class uses (with no external tutoring), and performed fantastically.

Also, like you mentioned, chemistry is good to know for your uni course in the future, and that alone is probably enough of an argument for most people to stick with your class.
That's what I've been doing for the past week, I just thought chemistry would be kinda hard to self-teach but I guess I have no choice, Thanks for the replies

somerandomperson

HSC
This.

That's what I've been doing for the past week, I just thought chemistry would be kinda hard to self-teach but I guess I have no choice, Thanks for the replies

studygirl118

HSC
I self taught myself Ancient History and got a band 6, you’ll be fineeee, just exploit your resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syco_Yeti

HSC
I’ve just finished y11 and part of y12 in chemistry with an incompetent teacher. If you keep it for year 11 and see how you yearly goes. Majority of my class failed ours and now about half of us dropped. This makes y12 seen a lot easier as you get a bunch of free periods you didn’t have and gives you the chance to see how you can go and if you want to keep it.
Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)