Should I take Chinese or French? (1 Viewer)

Larche

HSC
I'm thinking about learning a language next semester (it's either gonna be Chinese or French) to break the monotony of my degree. I've heard Chinese is alot more difficult to learn but will be more useful here in Australia. On the other hand, I think French just sounds so nice when people speak it, like the language is beautiful and its so pleasant to hear, at least in my opinion. But then again, I can't imagine I'd be using it too often. So I'm kinda stuck between practicality and personal interest at the moment.

Thoughts?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
imo learn Chinese since everyone is asian and they speak it

might also come in handy if you go to UNSW

Larche

HSC
imo learn Chinese since everyone is asian and they speak it

might also come in handy if you go to UNSW
I go to USyd. But everyone here is Asian as well so, might as well assimilate myself and become one of them. OH, and when I go to yumcha I can be like, "Yeah I want that", but in Chinese.

:O

Smooth Operator

HSC
I reckon Chinese would be more practical. However the geographical areas of the former French colonies can have inherited the language also. Just do the language you're most interested in, it'll more fun to learn then.

I want to start to learn Mandarin within the next few years.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to USyd. But everyone here is Asian as well so, might as well assimilate myself and become one of them. OH, and when I go to yumcha I can be like, "Yeah I want that", but in Chinese.

:O
then just learn a few asian drinks in chinese?

wouldn't be that hard to memorise the menu?

Larche

HSC
I reckon Chinese would be more practical. However the geographical areas of the former French colonies can have inherited the language also. Just do the language you're most interested in, it'll more fun to learn then.

I want to start to learn Mandarin within the next few years.
I think I might just do that.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I've studied both Chinese (at USYD) and French, and if you had to choose one to learn at university, I'd definitely go with Chinese. As has been said it's probably more useful for Australians than French is, and also, the added difficulty of the language means that you would benefit more from having actual teachers and instructors to help you.

Don't count out French though, any language is a great language to learn if you have the motivation. If you want to learn any of the European languages, I would recommend Duolingo (www.duolingo.com). It's a great language learning tool that I use everyday, and you won't have to pay thousands of dollars to do learn it like at university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)