Should the basic HSC English courses be changed? (1 Viewer)

What would you like to be the basic preliminary and HSC English course?

• ESL 2 Unit

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • English Extension I 1 Unit

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • English Extension II 1 Unit

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • English Extension I and Extension II 2 Unit

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • IB English (SL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IB English (HL)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Undergraduate university English subjects (2-4) -several credit points

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • English (Advanced)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • English (Standard)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • A choice between English (Advanced) and English (Standard)

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

Essjaybee

HSC
To be honest, I really enjoyed the advanced course, even though my texts were pretty dodge. [bladerunner, skrzynecki, frankenstein, speeches, caesar]
[there were only 40 kids in my year]
Dude same texts... I almost thought you went to my school until the part about 40 in the grade.

Extension 1 is only easier because you're doing an in-depth study, not screwing around with 4 different modules. Instead of studying a text in term 1, and not revisiting it until the exam, extension allows for texts to be taught throughout the year, and to go really in depth with it. You have heaps more time.
Agreed.

You're wrong mate. It's just we do a harder module (Navigating the Global, think postmodernism slammed together with globalization) as compared to BELONGING, which is lolworthy. I'd rather be doing Crime or Sci Fi, it would be much much easier. I hate philosophical thinkers and I don't really give a shit about Lost in Translation.
2008 HSC was the last year of NTG at my school. 2009 onwards is CRIME FIC. Epicly relieved. I love crime fic and if English texts can't keep me interested, I generally stop caring.

if u say englosh extension 1 is easier then advance

ur doin it rong
edit: or ur doin crime/SF har har har

My EE1 teacher is helpful and provides forests worth of booklets that may or may not be helpful. She goes over the things we don't understand and explains. My ADV ENG teacher just gives us foreign films with really dodgy subtitles, explains nothing, gives pointless homework and doesn't believe in "feedback".

But hey, if I'm doing it wrong I guess I should stop clarifying things in EE1 and adhere to the English standards of quite possibly the poorest subtitles I've seen in my life. That should guarentee my success in the courses.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Essjaybee said:
My EE1 teacher is helpful and provides forests worth of booklets that may or may not be helpful. She goes over the things we don't understand and explains. My ADV ENG teacher just gives us foreign films with really dodgy subtitles, explains nothing, gives pointless homework and doesn't believe in "feedback".
If you hadn't of said your EE1 teacher was female I would of thought you went to my school. Seriously our advanced teacher basically just gives us crap and then we can distract her with stuff about EE2 if we don't want to do the work. She is sort of not willing to see people outside of class under the muse that she is always 'busy', yet she is able to see us about ext2 because she has too.

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
You do that when you read the question and spend aprox. 5-7 minutes planning it out but you shouldn't be pre-preparing.
I disagree that you should not be pre-preparing. You don't have to, but it's not forbidden and students need not feel bad if they pre-prepare. Many teachers recommend it. And if it's just 4 sentences, 1 for each of the headings Orientation, Complication, Climax, Resolution; that's not much to do anyway. Students pre-prepare for mathematics by memorising formulas or their derivatives, why should English be any different?

I don't believe in memorising an essay, but I have no issue with students having a few ideas of what they could write about before they go in to the examination room. E.g. a paragraph outline for the creative writing piece, four thesises for the essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)