Should there be an Aboriginal voice to parliament? (1 Viewer)

A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishin

• Yes

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Idk/results

Votes: 35 22.6%

• Total voters

year10studentpreparin

HSC
to be honest I dont think you can say that voice advisories particularly in new zealand have particularly gone well
especially when this is the result of such things
'A new algorithm used in some New Zealand hospitals means Māori and Pacific patients for elective surgery will be pushed higher on waiting lists than those of other ethnicities with identical other factors like level of sickness, location and time on a waitlist.'
im voting no because id rather not have crap like this happen

year10studentpreparin

HSC
they are living regularly and drinking the same drinks we do and they actually have clothes like we wear, they can drive, they love to play sport etc
Thats what I experienced when I flew to Gawa as part of a school trip.
aka they are the same as us its just a lot of them grew up in poorer communities and also were subject to bad parenting, domestic violence, lack of education and access to healthcare and thus rinse and repeat. im just trying to say that these issues arent just limited to aboriginals because we see these trends in other poorer communities in Australia.

carrotsss

HSC
Define their culture then. Its safe to say a lot of them have assimilated into western culture, dont tell me ur one of the white people and yes voters who still think aboriginals in rural towns and communities wear G strings and paint their hands white everyday? thats just ceremonial and for fun
bro I literally live in a rural town with aboriginal people 😭

however their culture has different focuses to us, they have a focus on their relationships with the land and with their kinship groups (sor knowledge lmao), and their culture doesn’t have quite the same focus on individualism that ours does. not an expert though it’s a lot more complicated than that

year10studentpreparin

HSC
bro I literally live in a rural town with aboriginal people 😭

however their culture has different focuses to us, they have a focus on their relationships with the land and with their kinship groups (sor knowledge lmao), and their culture doesn’t have quite the same focus on individualism that ours does. not an expert though it’s a lot more complicated than that
come on bro a aboriginal rural town doesnt equal 3 hours away from sydney.
I get that about the individualism but thats very present in other cultures especially of cultures who migrated here as individualism is a western thing

Last edited:

itsalovehaterelo

HSC
i spent almost two years living in an few aboriginal communies when i was 10. in far north queensland. i learnt to spear crabs and hunt birds and all that, it was the real deal. but i learnt how little our values align. we value a "democracy" and sure, ours is kinda stuffed up, but in many indigenous tribes, leadership is decided by brute force. this "voice" to parliament isnt going to be decided via vote, itll be decided by the indigenous people. so some of that is a bit troubling in terms of justice and equal representation. in most tribes, women are given almost no power. so many tribes disagree w different things. overall, the voice is just going to create a wider gap between the indigenous.
also fun fact for everyone about misleading propaganda
the whole "close the gap" thing? uses statistics comparing the average indigenous person living in a rural community to the general population living in a metropolitan area. it was found that there was zero difference when comparing indigenous and non-indigenous people living in the same areas.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
i spent almost two years living in an few aboriginal communies when i was 10. in far north queensland. i learnt to spear crabs and hunt birds and all that, it was the real deal. but i learnt how little our values align. we value a "democracy" and sure, ours is kinda stuffed up, but in many indigenous tribes, leadership is decided by brute force. this "voice" to parliament isnt going to be decided via vote, itll be decided by the indigenous people. so some of that is a bit troubling in terms of justice and equal representation. in most tribes, women are given almost no power. so many tribes disagree w different things. overall, the voice is just going to create a wider gap between the indigenous.
the whole "close the gap" thing? uses statistics comparing the average indigenous person living in a rural community to the general population living in a metropolitan area. it was found that there was zero difference when comparing indigenous and non-indigenous people living in the same areas.
for real thats what I am talking about division which the others think im just talking about rest of Australia vs the indigenous where they fail to see that Aboriginal communities are NOT a monolith.
Thanks for your message and I have learnt about the misogyny and have seen it occur

year10studentpreparin

HSC
wow yeah about the close the gap thing I never knew that so thank you for informing me and I can confirm you are right

carrotsss

HSC
it’s crazy that where I went, only ‘vote yes’ campaigners were there. that made it easy to choose
apparently that’s been happening a lot across the country

the referendum still isn’t gonna pass though the polls are pretty clear

year10studentpreparin

HSC
you too

were u actually undecided this morning though like i kinda doubt it
nah bro I wasnt, I am sorry I was just kinda bored and its been a while since I threw a tantrum on a forum. Anyway, sorry bro if I was a bit of a doofus and dummy haha.
I am mainly just against the vagueness of the vote.
I do wish for a future where we can be reconciled with our aboriginal brothers and sisters and for them to us as well.
Cheers

carrotsss

HSC
nah bro I am sorry I was just kinda bored and its been a while since I threw a tantrum on a forum. Anyway, sorry bro if I was a bit of a doofus and dummy haha.
I am mainly just against the vagueness of the vote.
I do wish for a future where we can be reconciled with our aboriginal brothers and sisters and for them to us as well.
Cheers
fair enough haha this was a good distraction from studying anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)