Should we be applying for uni now? (1 Viewer)

plshelp

HSC
Hey guys just wondering....should we be applying for uni now for 2012?

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
Hey guys just wondering....should we be applying for uni now for 2012?
nahhh uni applications for 2012 aren't due until the end of september next year thru UAC
and for some courses you'd have to do other stuff before that too, such as sitting the UMAT for med at some unis (have to enrol for that by the start of june usually) or STAT for some courses (such as pharmacy).. but as of now... u dont have to do anything =]
check out the UAC website it should have more info!
hope this helps =]

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You're allowed 9 preferences in UAC. If you need more than 4, then that is ridiculous. I just fill mine with other places and courses I'd be satisfied with in the catastrophe situation that I failed everything terribly.

A tip for anyone considering a course you think is out of your range - leave it first the entire time during offers and it's likely that if your ATAR is near it, you will get a second or third round offer for it.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You're allowed 9 preferences in UAC. If you need more than 4, then that is ridiculous. I just fill mine with other places and courses I'd be satisfied with in the catastrophe situation that I failed everything terribly.

A tip for anyone considering a course you think is out of your range - leave it first the entire time during offers and it's likely that if your ATAR is near it, you will get a second or third round offer for it.
1. USyd Med
2. UNSW Med
3. UWS Med
4. USyd Law
5. UNSW Law
6. CSU Dent
7. USyd Pharm
8. USyd Engineering
9. UNSW Engineering

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If I want to apply to interstate Unis, do I have to complete a different form (similar to UAC)?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Omnipotence said:
1. USyd Med
2. UNSW Med
3. UWS Med
4. USyd Law
5. UNSW Law
6. CSU Dent
7. USyd Pharm
8. USyd Engineering
9. UNSW Engineering
Someone having both Law and Med confuses me, and then you've thrown in Engineering as well. They all seem unrelated to me. Do you really have a passion for all of these areas, or is it mostly monetary/prestige/high-mark based? Not to be insulting, I'd genuinely want to know.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Someone having both Law and Med confuses me, and then you've thrown in Engineering as well. They all seem unrelated to me. Do you really have a passion for all of these areas, or is it mostly monetary/prestige/high-mark based? Not to be insulting, I'd genuinely want to know.
My main priority is Med and everything else fills the gap. The other preferences are just mark based.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Cool. Ok, well that's logical. But yeah, I always hear these stories about students making their university choices based on whatever has the highest ATAR. The difference between areas like Law, Medicine, Engineering, and another common one, Actuary is just massive. The direction of your life completely changes, not based on your own thoughts, dreams and passions, but whatever you qualify for. Doesn't sit quite right with me.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
1. USyd Med
2. UNSW Med
3. UWS Med
4. USyd Law
5. UNSW Law
6. CSU Dent
7. USyd Pharm
8. USyd Engineering
9. UNSW Engineering
I hate people that do this.

You're going to end up 5 years out of uni, wishing everyday that someone shoots you in the back of the head, because you hate your job.

These high marks you achieve are in no way indicative of your level of common sense. The personalities for lawyers and doctors are completely reversed, and this can be said with engineers too.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I hate people that do this.

You're going to end up 5 years out of uni, wishing everyday that someone shoots you in the back of the head, because you hate your job.

These high marks you achieve are in no way indicative of your level of common sense. The personalities for lawyers and doctors are completely reversed, and this can be said with engineers too.

I had the same problem originally. Although did you read Omni's response?

My main priority is Med and everything else fills the gap. The other preferences are just mark based.
As long as its just filler courses, I see no problem. However, having them as viable choices I think is a bad decision.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I had the same problem originally. Although did you read Omni's response?

As long as its just filler courses, I see no problem. However, having them as viable choices I think is a bad decision.
But still, if Medicine is his dream. Why not do Med Sci, and transfer, or do graduate med?

It may take a few years longer, but, it's easier than working for a lifetime in a career that you will inevitably hate.

Graduate lawyers get worked through the floor.

Sammy2011

HSC
If I want to apply to interstate Unis, do I have to complete a different form (similar to UAC)?
Yes, you do. Each state has its equivalent to UAC, such as South Australia's SATAC, or Victoria's VTAC.

Going back to your interest in Medicine, I suggest applying to some of the interstate universities that offer Medicine courses that you may be interested in. That's what I am doing :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)