• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should we encourage secularity? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Malfoy, you do realise that religious faith isn't the sole preserve of the Right? Many on the Left are just as devout as many on the Right, it's just that their interpretation of the text, religion and/or faith differs. By the same token, many on the Right are just as hostile towards religion as many on the Left.

In short, this isn't a Left vs. Right issue.

spell check

HSC
banco55 said:
Meanwhile Western Europeans aren't even producing enough babies to replace current population levels. If that's not a sign of decadence/decline than I don't know what is.
please explain why having less babies is a sign of decadence?

gerhard

HSC
The holocaust is the scariest example of what the decline of religion can help bring about.
This is so incredibly offensive and ridiculous that I just dont know what to say.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
marriage...i'm from a muslim background, my partners family is christian.....me n my partner is agnostic..ahaha so we dont really care about that...but i support that religion should not be in schools....they should be optional, not in every single school in australia......even with birth, i think the question of the religion is crap, because they dont ask the child their opinion when signing them on as a christian or muslim etc

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Anyway what is so bad about the erosion of family values, chaos, decadence etc etc... ??

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Secularism isn't perfect, but it's the best we have. However, we must be careful not to push it too far. However, on the issue of religion, I will defend Christianity (in the sort of life-affirming, everyday, a fair of my friends are such wholesome people for practising it way), but am opposed to pervasive, life negating religions (think of Christianity in the middle ages and islam today). I do realise that Nietzsche held Christainity to be life denying (it is he who I coined the terms life affirming etc), but from my point of view Christainity as I see it everyday, acts like a lot of those self help books and all that sort of stuff, in helping people get on with their lives. Most of them are easy going and seemingly carefree.
I contrast this with the sort of submission expected by overbearing religions. I know this may sound biased towards islam, but I do not apologise, because despite my best attempts to prove myself wrong, I find islam intolerable.

That rant above was just to establish what I consider worthwhile in religion and in modern society I see no reason to depart from a Christian based, secular society. Government and all it's functions should be seperate from religion, but the zeal with which some people attempt to destroy the place of religion in society should be abandoned.

Maybe I didn't answer the question properly, but I'm being kicked off the computer.

banco55

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Secularism isn't perfect, but it's the best we have. However, we must be careful not to push it too far. However, on the issue of religion, I will defend Christianity (in the sort of life-affirming, everyday, a fair of my friends are such wholesome people for practising it way), but am opposed to pervasive, life negating religions (think of Christianity in the middle ages and islam today). I do realise that Nietzsche held Christainity to be life denying (it is he who I coined the terms life affirming etc), but from my point of view Christainity as I see it everyday, acts like a lot of those self help books and all that sort of stuff, in helping people get on with their lives. Most of them are easy going and seemingly carefree.
I contrast this with the sort of submission expected by overbearing religions. I know this may sound biased towards islam, but I do not apologise, because despite my best attempts to prove myself wrong, I find islam intolerable.

That rant above was just to establish what I consider worthwhile in religion and in modern society I see no reason to depart from a Christian based, secular society. Government and all it's functions should be seperate from religion, but the zeal with which some people attempt to destroy the place of religion in society should be abandoned.

Maybe I didn't answer the question properly, but I'm being kicked off the computer.
Nietzsche's other point about Christianity was that due to the enlightenment Christianity was losing its hold on western civilization. Few westerners in the 19th century were willing to die for Christianity and few were willing to go to war over it. Nietzsche actually anticipated that movements like facism and communism would come to fill the void in western society. It's very interesting that the guy who was probably the foremost existentialist thinker of the last century (Heidegger) was a hardcore Nazi.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"What I relate is the history of the next two centuries. I describe what is coming, what can no longer come differently: the advent of nihilism. This history can be related even now; for necessity itself is at work here. This future speaks even now in a hundred signs, this destiny announces itself everywhere; for this music of the future all ears are cocked even now. For some time now, our whole European culture has been moving as toward a catastrophe, with a tortured tension that is growing from decade to decade: restlessly, violently, headlong, like a river that wants to reach the end, that no longer reflects, that is afraid to reflect."

-preface to Nietzsche's will to power
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)