Should we move towards banning smoking (1 Viewer)

Should we work towards banning smoking?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it should not be criminalized. It should be treated like a speeding fine.

• Yes. Criminalize it. It is one of the most dangerous, addictive drugs know to mankind.

• Total voters

pman

Banned
HSC
Your mountain biking will no doubt one day but added strain on the healthcare system due to joint injuries and what not, than you benefit in terms of fitness compared to say swimming or road cycling, should we ban it too? Because cunts get to me, I mean.
Well i started off on road...thats where mountain bikers do most of their fitness training and i swim fro cross training as do many others (you need a bit of upper body strength)....yes we have more injuries (but not that many more) than road racing but considerably more than swimming. I think that answers your q, not sure what you getting at

zomgSEAN

HSC
if all smokers in Australia died tomorrow, the health system would be worse off
If tobacco was made illegal as soon as we were aware of the dreadful health consequences, we'd be A LOT better off.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
You fail to understand that things other than money matter; how unreasonable are you?
Intangible costs also entail loss of productivity in workplaces, carer costs for ill people and yes DEATH. All these things not only burden people's lives, they actually have consequential DOLLAR costs attached to them as well.

It is the government's job to protect us as a society, providing the most reasonable environment for us all. This should include illegalising a damaging drug like tobacco.

We also pay to treat those who are born with genetic illnesses...

You are overlooking the fact that Genetic illness is not a lifestyle choice. It is misfortune. We can't help it in a way which is readily available to a wide community. It does not contribute significant cost to the population anyway.

...who work in coal mines, who drive dangerously...

Again, both of these things attribute very little to tax costs when compared with tobacco.

...who eat unhealthily, who don't exercise...

I agree. Obese people should have to pay more taxes because of their growing strain on our healthcare.

...smokers do actually pay for the added cost to the system, many times over.

No, they do not.
They pay for one fifth of the costs incurred by tobacco abuse. The other 25 billion is picked up by non-smokers, which is completely unfair.
No they don't or they would be tangible costs...

illegalising isn't a word, I assume you mean criminlising/out-lawing in which case we need only look at the ineffectualness of government prohibition in regard to illegal drugs. They do provide a reasonably free environment for us all. I do not believe the government has mandate over people's bodies though.

I have already commented on the "lost productivity" point, but I will re-iterate since you seem to have poor comprehension:
Lost productivity is not an actual cost borne by anyone. It is the potential gain if people didn't smoke. Aside from the fact I question their methodology, I reject the entire notion of this. No one should have to work and produce any more than they desire, assuming they are not a burden on other people.

So let's try this one more time:

Total healthcare cost: 318.4 million
Total tax revenue ~6,600 million

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If we forced everyone to eat 5 serves of veg and 2 pieces of fruit and 2 litres of water and wholegrains and yogurt and tuna and lean red meat every single day, we'd also be a lot better off.

But, you know, freedom and that.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Well i started off on road...thats where mountain bikers do most of their fitness training and i swim fro cross training as do many others (you need a bit of upper body strength)....yes we have more injuries (but not that many more) than road racing but considerably more than swimming. I think that answers your q, not sure what you getting at
I find cyclists extremely annoying, they are sweaty and smell, and get in the way of my car. They are more likely to injure themselves than walkers. Should we ban cycling?

I'm saying your argument that we should ban it because you find it uncomfortable is stupid.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If we forced everyone to eat 5 serves of veg and 2 pieces of fruit and 2 litres of water and wholegrains and yogurt and tuna and lean red meat every single day, we'd also be a lot better off.

But, you know, freedom and that.
facebook is a massive strain on productivity.

I was going to say "Rudd is coming for your internets next" as a joke but then I realised he fucking is. Hate that egotistical fucking cunt.

Debauchee

HSC
im just a dude

someone told me about this website, and i lurked for a while and then decided to join

who are you

aussie-boy

HSC
Why are you cycling?
How dare you waste hours of your life riding your bike around when you could be working, paying taxes.
You're the perfect example an unproductive citizen.
Let's ban cycling.

--
You've also managed to completely ignore the benefits from smoking.
~2million of Australians are getting a benefit 20 times a day when they have a cigarette.
Does your 5 seconds of breathing scented air > 40,000,000 feelings of relaxation and stress relief?

Last edited:

dickiie

Warm, wet and pink. Smells like fish too.
HSC
pman, I take it that you have not smoked once in your pathetic whiny life?

I reckon the Australian government should ban self-centered whiny cunts like you from living and giving other people shits over things they CHOSE to do.

Drink a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up mate, don't like that bloke who stinks of cigarette sitting next to you? move. Don't like that group of smokers walking on the street? Walk faster/slower or cross the street. Actually I'm gonna go and have a smoke so I can contribute to Australia while I'm still in school while you can cycle and be a massive lazy cunt and not pay tax.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
pman, I take it that you have not smoked once in your pathetic whiny life?

I reckon the Australian government should ban self-centered whiny cunts like you from living and giving other people shits over things they CHOSE to do.

Drink a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up mate, don't like that bloke who stinks of cigarette sitting next to you? move. Don't like that group of smokers walking on the street? Walk faster/slower or cross the street. Actually I'm gonna go and have a smoke so I can contribute to Australia while I'm still in school while you can cycle and be a massive lazy cunt and not pay tax.
im sure he has more sense than that

Reanna

HSC
Yes, but it should not be criminalized. It should be treated like a speeding fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)