Should've done... (1 Viewer)

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
At this stage in my school career, I look back on the decisions I've made to do humanities instead of maths and science's and kick myself.
I find that the humanities courses don't let you explore your ideas as much. They bang on about technique, context and more technique. I figure such restrictions would work on science and maths; there is always a definate answer and a reason. Hypothesis's are acceptable and wondering encouraged.

Basically I'm just hating being so restricted.:mad1:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Are you kidding me?

In science and math you're restricted by other people's ideas in formulas, principles and definite answers.

You're given (or should be given) the opportunity to examine things in humanities and debate them much more freely. I've always had the opposite problem actually.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
tulipa said:
In science and math you're restricted by other people's ideas in formulas, principles and definite answers.
Spot on.
The science faculty at my school is also renowed for it`s anal marking criteria.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Amy Lou said:
At this stage in my school career, I look back on the decisions I've made to do humanities instead of maths and science's and kick myself.
I find that the humanities courses don't let you explore your ideas as much. .

Basically I'm just hating being so restricted.:mad1:

Ahh..
reminds me of soemthing.
Last year i won a place in the AGNSW critical writing competition with a classs task i had written that my teacher just coincidently entered.
Within the essay [although it was much morelike a feature article..] i pretty much just recycled the views of art critics/historians because thats what you do within school... use the views of others...
[well at least thats pretty much all i've been doing... ie. within modern history i just research historians views and then just adapt to be my own approach to the situation..]
anyway, so at the awards presentation the head judge [head of National art school if i remember correctly??] gave us this huge talking to about how majority of the entrants just recycled the views of historians/critics and very few used any groundbreaking original thought/opinion.

I myself knew exactly how guilty i was.. but still i feel safer using the views of others when it comes to History/Art theory etc..
English i have more free reign but more often than not when analysing something, i'll just go with the views of the teacher/texts i've read

English extension II is total free reign.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
nichhhole said:
I myself knew exactly how guilty i was.. but still i feel safer using the views of others when it comes to History/Art theory etc..
English i have more free reign but more often than not when analysing something, i'll just go with the views of the teacher/texts i've read

English extension II is total free reign.
What? Then you're not learning anything... The whole point of some of these subjects is not to memorise historians but to formulate your own ideas.

Even if it gets your praise or you ace the HSC, it's still shit and probably even worse.

nichhhole

HSC
Tulipa said:
What? Then you're not learning anything... The whole point of some of these subjects is not to memorise historians but to formulate your own ideas.

Even if it gets your praise or you ace the HSC, it's still shit and probably even worse.

Haha you're perfectly correct hence my fustration at the whole process..

but still i'd rather play the game that seems to be working for me, get a good UAI, and sacrafice the expression of my own personal views for a year or so
so that eventually i can get to uni etc and get into a position where i feel confident to articulate those views without fear of condemnation (in a HSC-markers-savagely-attacking-my-exam kinda way.]

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
nichhhole said:
Haha you're perfectly correct hence my fustration at the whole process..

but still i'd rather play the game that seems to be working for me, get a good UAI, and sacrafice the expression of my own personal views for a year or so
so that eventually i can get to uni etc and get into a position where i feel confident to articulate those views without fear of condemnation (in a HSC-markers-savagely-attacking-my-exam kinda way.]
Okay.

You're like the girl I hated in high school because they did that and did better in the HSC but is currently failing at life because she doesn't know how to study properly.

But hopefully that won't happen to you.

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Tulipa said:
Okay.

You're like the girl I hated in high school because they did that and did better in the HSC but is currently failing at life because she doesn't know how to study properly.

Ahahaha I can feel the love

I wish i'd been able to do 2-unit instead of general, music or chem instead of business studies.. general maths is just so mindnumbingly dull, even though I'm sucking at the course.. its probably cause i just can't bring myself to do much study for it, just not challenging enough ;s

Buuut i'll do some anyway. Don't wanna get a shitty mark for trials or hsc.

nichhhole

HSC
Tulipa said:
Okay.

Ahah.. i'm currently failing at life and i'm not even out of school yet.

I;m not particularly worried.. at least i realise that all i'm doing is vomiting out other peoples ideas...:eek: others don't realise that there will come a time when they have to think for themselves..

This concept came up today.. i was discussing with my teacher Module B [i think it is?.. critical study of Harwood]
a large factor of themodule is coming up with ur own personal interpretation.. [ie as opposed to an over reliance on psycoanalytical/marxist/fem/et al readings...]
but i question just how original can each person be.. every decent interpretation has to have been used somewhere before...

bah.
anywayw it's due tomororw so better get back to it.. [or fail life futher..]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)