Sick for exams, what happens? (1 Viewer)

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
But if u had've showed the DC, you could have done it next term.
One of my friends tried to do that last year, and they wouldn't let her.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
One of my friends tried to do that last year, and they wouldn't let her.
Then your school is stupid?
how can they not if she had a doctors cert?

jirwin

HSC
I dont know whether this is applicable to internal exams at your school, but for the HSC, if you are ill but still want to take the test, then u speak to the head supervisor before the exam starts (give doctors certificate if u have it) and they monitor you throughout the exam and make notes which goes on a misadventure form. So if you do poorly in comparison to ur internal assessment mark that was sent to Board of Studies then appropriate measures are taken to ensure that you were not disadvantaged.

Your school might have a similar policy. I do not know what my school hard as I wasn't in this position for the internals - just the HSC itself.

law

HSC
N/A
Go to your Curriculum Coordinator/ ring them (this really should have been done before the exam started), tell them your illness and show a doctor's certificate.

You can claim illness/misadventure and usually what happens is that you'll receive the average of your previous assessment marks for that subject.

I'd bring a parent with you when you speak to your coordinator so the teacher doesn't mistreat you.

I don't know how it'll work out because at my school you have to ring the school before the exam...

ccc123

HSC
thommy said:
Guys, I'm freaking out. I was feeling really sick last night, and I had my last exams today. I did go, because I wanted to be over and done with for the term, but because I felt so sick, I think I might have not done well. So far I'm on 80% rougly for each subject. Do they take my sickness into account when calculating my university admission index?
It will not been taken into account in the calculation of the UAI. However, if you go and speak to the relevent teachers/co-ordinates and explain to them how it may have affected your performance, maybe it can be organised for you to sit a variation of the exams when you are feeling better.

Good luck!

slowjam10

HSC
law said:
Go to your Curriculum Coordinator/ ring them (this really should have been done before the exam started), tell them your illness and show a doctor's certificate.

You can claim illness/misadventure and usually what happens is that you'll receive the average of your previous assessment marks for that subject.

I'd bring a parent with you when you speak to your coordinator so the teacher doesn't mistreat you.

I don't know how it'll work out because at my school you have to ring the school before the exam...
yeah law ..explains it pretty good

i was sick for my last exam i have pretty bad tonsillitis and sinus problems..anyway basically just rang the school before the exam and saw teh dr yesterday to get a doctors cert.

so dont stress..

Evilo

HSC
risole91 said:
It might even come down to how much they like you.
special consideration has always been subjective.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
Your school should have an assessment policy that also covers dealing with illness during an assessment task.

You should have spoken to your school today about being ill/gained a medical certificate etc and they should have detailed their policy in regards to illness for internal assessment tasks for you.

If you haven't done this, do it first thing tomorrow.
Thanks all so much for your responses.

I did go this morning, and the director was understanding. I tld him how I was sick yesterday, and today, but I still did he exam. I filled out an illness/misadventure form, with the certificate atach, and on the form, it said outline how you were affected, and whether you did it on the day. I said that I was sick on the day, still did it, but my sickness did not let me perform as well as I otherwise would have.

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Yeah i agree.

It does happen.
I'm sorry, I just noticed this, and I don't understand. They don't set double standards, do they?

Evilo

HSC
thommy said:
I'm sorry, I just noticed this, and I don't understand. They don't set double standards, do they?
okay lets look at two situations

a) You're an 'a' grade student, you've been recieving solid 80-90s all year and youve never handed in an exam/assessment late. You've just been sick the night before an exam.

b) You are scraping passes, you're late to most classes. You're a bit of a loose cannon - hand in most assessments late. You say you've studied your ass off (apparently forthe last month - 40hrs a week of study)...

- who will get the higher mark?

slowjam10

HSC
Evilo said:

a) You're an 'a' grade student, you've been recieving solid 80-90s all year and youve never handed in an exam/assessment late. You've just been sick the night before an exam.

b) You are scraping passes, you're late to most classes. You're a bit of a loose cannon - hand in most assessments late. You say you've studied your ass off (apparently forthe last month - 40hrs a week of study)...

ooohhh

let me guess

ummm

thommy

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:

Okay I see your point now. Thankfully I fall more into the a cetegory.

Shoubadoo

HSC
My friend was extremely sick during the HSC exams. So sick she couldn't do it- so the marks she received were based on her assignments marks.
And that's why it's important to do your assignments throughout years 11 and 12...or at least 12.

Evilo

HSC
thommy said:
Okay I see your point now. Thankfully I fall more into the a cetegory.
yeah no worries.

They just base the mark on what should have got if you were not sick/what they feel is appropiate.

From my old school they look at your past marks (and the marks of the exam if you went), then ask the teacher how you were performing, class attendance/if youve been mucking around etc - then make a judgement call on that.
:)

thommy

HSC
N/A
notaaron said:
hey mate howed you end up going with it?
Hey. :)

I went to him in the morning (director of Studies), filled out an illness/misadventure form, attached with doct's certificate, and told him that while I had sat the exam, I wasn't able to perform as well as I would otherwise be able to (which is all outlined on the form too). He was surprisingly understanding. I got 80% for my Economics assessment last term (the only other one we've done so far), so I think that if I bomb out (and go well in the rest of my assessments for the year) they'll definitely take it into consideration now. If they don't, I don't see justice. I mean, I've been in bed basically all of today with a terrible migraine and stomach pains.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
You will need to bring a doctors cerificate before the exam, or the next day your're back at school. You will either have to do the test, or they give the average score by the whole cohort of students in that course.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
thommy said:
I doubt tomorow would make much difference, I thave a virus, and wil probably have it for a week, as I've had it before, and it lasts a week. The thing is though, if I did bomb out(I stress if) it's not my fault, it's being sick. I'll ask the director of studies and if he says that it doesn't matter that I have doctor's certificate, well let's just say that I won't take it lying down.
The thing is, if i was the teacher in charge of the decision.

I would have a number of arguments, such as:

• If you were so sick with this virus why did you come to school?
  • We cannot give you the test again, as you have already seen it.
  • You will have to live with the mark as, we were never notified of your illness before the test.
But i do see your point. The thing is its an argument that i believe you will not be able to win. I mean if they dared made it come down to how much they liked you thats when you go straight to the top and be like, this is unacceptable. But i doubt that would happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)